Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State vs Local (city) police hiring and BI process

Hello everyone,

Although I'm not interested in becoming an officer, I have a curious question. Is the hiring/BI process more rigorous for state agencies as opposed to city agencies? Is the academy training tougher also?

And regarding sheriff's offices: Where I live, each independent city has its own sheriff's office along with a city police department. However, in cases where the sheriff has jurisdiction over an entire county, is it harder to get hired or does the level of jurisdiction even matter with regard to that?

Thanks!
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
    Hello everyone,

Although I'm not interested in becoming an officer, I have a curious question. Is the hiring/BI process more rigorous for state agencies as opposed to city agencies? Is the academy training tougher also?

And regarding sheriff's offices: Where I live, each independent city has its own sheriff's office along with a city police department. However, in cases where the sheriff has jurisdiction over an entire county, is it harder to get hired or does the level of jurisdiction even matter with regard to that?

Thanks!
    Hiring processes are dependent on the agency and some are harder than others...............can't really say that State Agencies are always the hardest to get on or not. A small city in Iowa that I am aware of has been regarded as one of the hardest agencies to get on in the state for the last 30 yrs or so......................They just happen to be very particular in who they hire.

In my state there are really 2 academies (actually 6 schools but they all run off the state rules) for the whole state the State Run academy and the DPS academy (state troopers). They are run totally different----and the trooper academy is several weeks longer than the one for the police /sheriff and other officers.

As far as the Sheriff's agencies.........................read above
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Iowa, that was very informative. Thanks!
      It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

I attended a "pay to stay" academy as the department I was working for and am again doesn't sponsor. I was working as a non-certified jail deputy, put myself thru the academy, and now work as a certified jail deputy. Mostly I do inmate transports now.

Our academy contracted with the State Patrol to conduct several of our blocks of instruction: DTAC, driving, physical fitness. We attended those mostly at the state academy, so we also saw two of their academy classes going thru their daily routine.

While the blocks of instruction were VERY tough, overall I can say our academy was MUCH more relaxed than the State Patrol academies we saw. I think I got good value for my money, and the instructions was tough where it needed to be, but the CSP academy was a whole 'nother level.

I've heard that some of the agency academies are tougher than mine but nobody else has the reputation of the CSP academy. They appear to consistently turn out a pretty good product. I respect every trooper I've ever worked with. I can't say the same about every deputy sheriff, officer or deputy marshal I've worked with. I suspect it's a combination of their hiring practices and the rigor of their academy.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-15-2014, 10:20 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6003 users online. 301 members and 5702 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X