300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy and school?

If I am accepted into the academy, should I withdraw from my college classes? If so, when would you recommend registering again? Just curious if I should even bother to sign up for the spring semester. I am currently awaiting the results of my oral board and the scuttlebutt is the academy starts around January/February. Wishful thinking here obviously as I still have a few obstacles to get past in the hiring process but I figured no harm in looking ahead.

It will be very hard to do school and the academy... the academy IS school and you will be expected to complete assignments, study, and do extensive reading and such. It will be hard to balance the two. You could always go back to school once you get the job and go off probation.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I don't see how you are going to do both.

Comment

Most academies are either AT colleges or have arrangements with a local college to give credit for the course. My academy was worth, IIRC, 38 units for the 5 months. Keep in mind you're EARNING that credit, we didn't get over 1 year's worth of college credit for looking good... we were BUSY.

Taking courses while you're working is possible, especially if you're willing to take classes on line or via other non-traditional means, but I'd wait until after FTO and probation. You probably won't be able to take a full load, but you can make progress.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Your not going to be able to do both.

Comment

I agree, you won't be able to do both. If you try, one (more likely than not, both) will suffer.

I wouldn't change anything until I KNEW that I was hired. My department has changed academy start dates numerous times. An early spring class doesn't get started until the summer, a fall class gets pushed to after New Years, etc, etc.

Register for the spring semester, pay in cash, this will ensure you are hired. If your luck is anything like mine you will be hired and it will be AFTER the drop/add/withdrawal date.

Good luck.
            Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
            To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6284 users online. 370 members and 5914 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X