Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average scores of successful recruits?

I posted this question in the wrong forum so I am trying again here. I just got my results for the Las Vegas Metro written exam (84.52%) and am wondering what the average score is for recruits who actually get offered the job. I have my oral board next week and I am curious to know just how well I need to do, historically speaking. I have no idea how many people they are looking to hire but we did start with 2000 applicants. I will give it my all either way but, it would be nice to have a general idea of what scores are acceptable.

Little background on me - Spent just under 7 years as a Navy Cryptologist and honorably discharged this year as a First Class Petty Officer. I have an active Top Secret Clearance and no background issues whatsoever (not even a speeding ticket). I am married with no children, active in my church, and an Eagle Scout.

Your score is respectable. Regarding Civil Service exams in general, several of my colleagues and myself, hold to the mid to high nineties rule to have a decent chance of being hired. Essentially, what you're in is a numbers game. What follows is hypothetical but should serve to illustrate my point.

Suppose a given agency is authorized to hire 100 additional officers in a given fiscal year. Your score in the written exam is in the mid to high eighties which places you at say, 120 on the Eligibility Register. Chances are you won't make the cut in the first go around. In this instance, your name would remain on the Register until it was exhausted, or the agency called for a new Register. In this instance, and if you were not hired off of this Register, you'd need to re-apply and begin the process again.

All of that said, I'm not conversant with LVMPD's hiring sequence. If you've been called for an additional phase of the testing process, report at the date/time indicated, and give it a 100% effort. A note on your clearance. Not to demean you in the least, but the clearance will mean little come time for your Background Investigation.

Please accept my sincere thanks for your service, and best wishes for success in all your endeavors.

Comment

Scores really are not an indicator of the future, with the exception that you normally need in the mid to high 90's to get hired.

As an aside--------------------- I scored a 92% GPA in my academy. Pretty proud of myself in general.

I was in the bottom half of my class
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I completed my oral board and feel fairly confident about it. I was happy with my answers and the officers seemed to like what I had to say. Thanks for the responses! The written exam score only accounts for 35% while the oral board accounts for 65% of the score. Plus I will get a 2 point vets preference bonus for the oral board. I will find out in about 2 weeks if I move on.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyNCO View Post
          I completed my oral board and feel fairly confident about it. I was happy with my answers and the officers seemed to like what I had to say. Thanks for the responses! The written exam score only accounts for 35% while the oral board accounts for 65% of the score. Plus I will get a 2 point vets preference bonus for the oral board. I will find out in about 2 weeks if I move on.
          Good luck and apply to other places in the mean time.

Comment

good luck. At least you don't have to deal with affirmative action.

Mr. minority scored at 91 on his test. he gets 10 points for being a minority. 101 total

Mr. Whiteman scored a 97 on his test 97 total score. sorry.......

Still my advice is to run and train for the academy so when u do get the call you are not shocked by how grueling it is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5289 users online. 314 members and 4975 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X