300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is no news good news?

This is a question for anyone that has been through the employment process from A to Z!

In the middle of September I received a call from the Sheriff's Office after about 2 months from putting in my initial application. I went in and he gave me a Background Investigation packet to fill out before the Written/Physical test. I had it filled out correctly and turned in in time for the Testing date. When I arrived at the test there was only me and about 6 others competing for the position. Being I was the only veteran there and many people were obese I felt secure thinking I might have a very good shot at landing this job.

After the physical test we all stood in a horseshoe for the deputy to give us further instructions. He told us they would begin Background Investigations that week and we all should get phone calls for our oral boards in the next 2 weeks.

Well...

It's been almost 2 months, and still no phone call. Other applicants, some I already knew personally (small county) said they also never received phone calls.

Instead of calling in to check on the application I drove down to the office and saw the man I needed to speak to standing outside on his break. I shook his hand and we had a good conversation. He told me that the investigators were still going through applicants and that they were making phone calls as they picked up their paperwork. I was either going to receive a letter of rejection or a phone call VERY soon, and that I should keep a look out.

Well..

That has been about 3 weeks ago. And there is only 6 Applicants for this job. What's going on? All sorts of scenarios are running through my head.

Are Background Investigations usually this long? If I don't get a letter of rejection, but still no phone call, am I even still considered for employment? It's been in my thoughts since I applied.
    Last edited by BTripp1993; 11-05-2014, 06:46 PM.

Sounds to me like they don't have the funds to hire someone and are dragging their feet.............................................. ............
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Sounds to me like they don't have the funds to hire someone and are dragging their feet.............................................. ............

Well, that's straightforward lol. But it makes sense due to the current events going on here I suppose.
      Last edited by BTripp1993; 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

First of all, thank you for your service to our country. Secondly, I use the term, "Hurry up and wait" when it comes to the process for LE jobs. I know it's tough, try to be patient. In LE the hiring process in normally a long process (six to eighteen months). There is a reason for this, departments have a responsiblity to the public to ensure that they hire candidates who can be trusted with the awesome responsibility that the job entails.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
          First of all, thank you for your service to our country. Secondly, I use the term, "Hurry up and wait" when it comes to the process for LE jobs. I know it's tough, try to be patient. In LE the hiring process in normally a long process (six to eighteen months). There is a reason for this, departments have a responsiblity to the public to ensure that they hire candidates who can be trusted with the awesome responsibility that the job entails.

Good luck in your endeavors.
          Thank you for the information! I'm telling myself I'm ready to take on this career but that's for them to give the final word, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by BTripp1993 View Post
            Are Background Investigations usually this long? If I don't get a letter of rejection, but still no phone call, am I even still considered for employment? It's been in my thoughts since I applied.
            Short answer is yes. They can/do take that long. It took me a year and a half to hear ANYTHING besides my score results from my initial test. After that, it was again another dry period with not hearing anything back. I know the feeling trust me. Just stay patient even though its difficult to do so. I eventually did hear back and had a slew of testing (all remaining parts) within two weeks before the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
              Short answer is yes. They can/do take that long. It took me a year and a half to hear ANYTHING besides my score results from my initial test. After that, it was again another dry period with not hearing anything back. I know the feeling trust me. Just stay patient even though its difficult to do so. I eventually did hear back and had a slew of testing (all remaining parts) within two weeks before the academy.
              What he said. To the OP keep applying to other places in the mean time.

Comment

Every leo in here has been through it all, and i would say a vast majority has more than once.

If you dont here anything give your bi a call just to followup but i wouldnt go as far as to call every day or week.

If u havent heard a thanks but no thanks yet i would take that as a good thing for the time being.
                sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Are BI's typically the same investigators that will work in homicide aswell? I know in my county there has been five murders in the last few months. The more recent one only a few days ago. And it's a really rare occurrence in this area. If that is the case, I guess it's safe to say they have more important matters.

Comment

Originally posted by BTripp1993 View Post
                    Are BI's typically the same investigators that will work in homicide aswell? I know in my county there has been five murders in the last few months. The more recent one only a few days ago. And it's a really rare occurrence in this area. If that is the case, I guess it's safe to say they have more important matters.
                    Depends on the size of the agency..........................many times a Background Investigator is a collateral assignment and is completed as time allows.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It is a small agency. So it explains alot. Thank you for the information.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4861 users online. 270 members and 4591 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X