300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ for background

So I have a perfectly clean record including driving with no tickets or accidents. I also have never done any type of illegal drugs. I have a double major in Criminology and Spanish, and as of right now I am in the background stage for a department. I answered all questions honestly, the only two things that stood out was underage drinking which happened last year for halloween. The other thing was that I was invited to a party where I bought some beer and showed up with it. Although I did not know everyone who attended the party I am pretty sure that there were underage drinkers and the alcohol was not intended to be consumed by minors. Do you guys think I can get disqualified for this? Thanks
    Last edited by alexac9; 11-04-2014, 10:20 PM.

Please refer to the topic "How are my chances?" authored by Country_Jim for further insight.

Comment

Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
      Please refer to the topic "How are my chances?" authored by Country_Jim for further insight.
      The thread "How are my chances?" authored by Country_Jim seems a bit over exaggerated comparing it to what I am asking. Plus its being sarcastic to the topic of good candidates for an LE career.
      Last edited by alexac9; 11-05-2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexac9 View Post
        The thread "How are my chances?" authored by Country_Jim seems a bit over exaggerated comparing it to what I am asking. Plus its being sarcastic to the topic of good candidates for an LE career.
        What do you mean by, "Plus its being sarcastic to the topic of good candidates for an LE career." That sentence does not make sense. I'm sure you are a bright guy, however your post does not show it.

In regards to your underage drinking, I will give you my opinion. Both of the incidents you referenced are too recent, however they are not career killers. My advice to you is to finish your degree, find gainful employment, stay out of trouble and apply in another four or five years.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post

In regards to your underage drinking, I will give you my opinion. Both of the incidents you referenced are too recent, however they are not career killers. My advice to you is to finish your degree, find gainful employment, stay out of trouble and apply in another four or five years.

Good luck in your endeavors.
          Yep.

Both incidents show immaturity coupled with Bad decision making .
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I made this reference because "I have a clean record and want to be a cop but one year ago I had underage drinking and I brought alcohol to a party that I'm pretty sure had underage people". Really? So where is this drive to be an officer? "I've wanted it since I was a kid." A person with a drive for this career and knows they want to come this direction should be cognizant of their decisions and their effects. Could it be a DQ? I don't know but I honestly don't want to work with you. How any other "bad decisions" will you make when on the job?

I may be a bit more harsh than some but, damn it, I'm tired of seeing people get into this career and make "bad decisions" and bring a bad light to the rest of us who do what we are supposed to do, are decent citizens, don't supply alcohol to minors, don't go 30+ mph over the speed limit, don't threaten other people over emotions, etc. There are usually more skeletons in the closet than a poster puts here since I doubt this was your one and only time drinking underage or supplying alcohol to a party. Bad decisions often breed more bad decisions. The fact you are asking means to me that it's a bigger deal than you make it seem otherwise you'd just "hide" it like sooo many others try to do. This situation concerns you because you don't want it to mess up your "aspirations" which begs to wonder what the true situation was because no one tells the entire truth. Every good officer knows there are 3 sides to every story and this is just one and biased in your direction.

I need my cynical switch checked. This could be a long day.

Comment

Can we change the abbreviation for disqualified to something else? Like maybe DX?

Every time I see "DQ" in a post, I start craving a blizzard.....

Comment

As has been noted to you, both of your "situations" are too recent. While I don't see them as lifetime DQ's, they are ample evidence of questionable judgement and immaturity.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  As has been noted to you, both of your "situations" are too recent. While I don't see them as lifetime DQ's, they are ample evidence of questionable judgement and immaturity.
                  I agree with this 100%. You are young. If you haven't done so go finish a degree and stay clean!
                  NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
                  List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
                  APD -???

Comment

Be a little careful in your evaluation of Country Jim's thread. You really haven't been here long enough to be passing judgement. You'd be mind boggling amazed at the number of wonks who come here, with criminal histories as long as Al Capone's. These are the same often self entitled residents of Hillary's Village, and friends of Barack Obama, who are actually offended when we tell them they can't be cops.

We haven't told you that, although it could be true. What we have advised you is that you demonstrated very poor judgement, not merely once, but twice, that both instances involved alcohol. We further advised you that the incidents have been too recent, and currently would probably result in your being "Non-Selected" in the event you were to apply.

Comment

While it was over exaggerated, you do realize they got that stuff from actual threads.

Law enforcement is a very competitive field to enter, there were probably candidates older than you, with more life experience and none of the negatives. You won't be permanently DQed. Just always better yourself. It took me almost 3 years of hard work and always looking to better myself before I got on . Be patient and stay out of any trouble. At each step of the way think how you can make yourself a better candidate. Trust me, your competition is!
                      NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
                      List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
                      APD -???

Comment

Exactly how many candidates for employment as a Law Enforcement Officer have you interviewed/backgrounded?

I don't know about Jim, but I think he is pretty much in line with my experience------------I did it for 14 +years.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yea, we have some old-timers on here with a LOT of experience. I've got 8 on.
                          My agency would not hire you....they would recommend at least 4 or 5 years between the last poor decision.

Good luck.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            Exactly how many candidates for employment as a Law Enforcement Officer have you interviewed/backgrounded?

I don't know about Jim, but I think he is pretty much in line with my experience------------I did it for 14 +years.
                            Compared to Iowa's experience in LE, I'm a rookie. I only have eighteen years with my department (nineteen in the business). When Iowa or PhilipCal post, I read the posts very carefully. They know what they are talking about.

Comment

[QUOTE=Country_Jim;3544797]What do you mean by, "Plus its being sarcastic to the topic of good candidates for an LE career." That sentence does not make sense. I'm sure you are a bright guy, however your post does not show it.

Lmao I can just imagine how that would sound if you read it out loud.

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                              Compared to Iowa's experience in LE, I'm a rookie. I only have eighteen years with my department (nineteen in the business). When Iowa or PhilipCal post, I read the posts very carefully. They know what they are talking about.
                              I concur with that. Even though my colleagues on here are simply represented by "screen names", I can tell that behind their posts, there are many years of experience and wisdom. I have the utmost respect for them.

I shake my head every time some self-entitled individual comes on here and thinks they can mouth off, have criminal histories longer than an ancient scroll, and still get hired in LE. When they get told otherwise, they turn into an irrational blubbering forum idiot and their panties acquire more crappy twists than a day time soap opera (pun intended).
                              Last edited by Amigo1342; 11-06-2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5213 users online. 307 members and 4906 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X