300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding ticket this morning Academy in January

This morning aprox 6am i was on my way to work in a lttle more of a rush than most days. Got pulled over on the cross island parkway by highway patrol doing 84 in a 50 (very stupid i know) my entire family are in law enforcement( father retired nypd first grade detective, brother is two years on the job in midtown south, one uncle is a sergeant out in suffolk and another uncle retired out of nassau) needless to say my father is p!$$ed and not giving me advice on this situation. I know i was at fault and not going to try to deny that but my fear is that so close to being put in the january academy that if i bring this up with my investigator that it will hold me up from the class being put in also since it was over 31mph over the limit I need to appear in court. Was wondering if i should hire a lawyer to "fight" it which in reality is just to keep the ticket in court for a little while or give my investigator a call this afternoon. This is only my second ticket, first one i ever recieved was a little over three years ago in a small town in upstate new york for a failure to obey a traffic control device.

Thanks for any advice
    Vinny
    Last edited by vance351; 11-03-2014, 09:34 AM.

Yep, you need to IMMEDIATELY notify your investigator.............................

Yep, 31 over will probably hold you back for some amount of time

DON'T let your investigator find out about this on his/her own-----disclose NOW
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I can only concur with what my colleague has advised you. Notify your investigator. Leave out the biographical notes concerning family members in, or retired from law enforcement. Yes, there may be some consequences, minor at worst. Failure to disclose, you could end up working for XYZ Security Inc, or at a Mall.

Comment

Stop and think about this for a second - why are you really asking this question?

Your post says that you knew it was wrong, but you are considering fighting it just to delay it from showing up so that your BI (hopefully) won't see it until after you are slotted. Lets break it down another way:

You know you are/were in the wrong, yet you are contemplating trying to hide it.

This is not a good way to start out. Take your lumps and move on, even if it delays you. Man up and do the right thing. Don't be "that guy". If you try to fight it just to delay the inevitable, I hope they find it, find these posts, and pdq you. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's life.

Comment

Thirty-four mph above the speed limit could be considered reckless driving. Definitely notify your investigator and I would consult with an attorney so that your license is not suspended.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
            Thirty-four mph above the speed limit could be considered reckless driving. Definitely notify your investigator and I would consult with an attorney so that your license is not suspended.
            I've spoken with my investigator who said I've already been processed and to just take care of the ticket as soon as possible which just means pleading guilty to the ticket which I have no problem doing, but can I plead guilty and still have an attorney to make sure my licence isn't suspended?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vance351 View Post
              I've spoken with my investigator who said I've already been processed and to just take care of the ticket as soon as possible which just means pleading guilty to the ticket which I have no problem doing, but can I plead guilty and still have an attorney to make sure my licence isn't suspended?

A number of your family members were on the job, so ask them if NYS law considers 34 mph above the speed limit to be reckless, and if so, you'll know if you need an attorney.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by vance351 View Post

Wow

Most of the agencies I have been involved with would have bounced you from the running even if you had been "processed" for that type of an offense.

Some would have terminated you if you were already sworn and working--------------------
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

This isn't a regular thing for me and I'm sure my background investigation showed that, I've been driving on that stretch of the parkway almost everyday for the past three years and this is the first time I've been pulled over, and it's definitely not the first time that cops have been there

Comment

If you want to spend money for a lawyer to stand there while you plead guilty it's your money....you can do the same thing the lawyer will do and ask that your DL not be suspended....he nor you hold no power over the judge on what he'll do with your DL

Comment

I would hold off with who and where each family member works/worked. Be Straight, Own it and go from there.
                      I would still plead not guilty. I'm not going to lie, it concerns me you thought about hiding it. Sh-t's going to go down on the job man, and that can not be your first instinct. You coming here speaks volumes that you know its not right, so good on you.

Do the right thing always, and always own something. We have enough idiots on, don't add to it. Integrity is more important than anything else. Good Luck
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

You got lucky if you ask me. The troopers around here would tow your car and possibly take you to jail for that high.

Comment

Normally I wouldn't think about taking it to court but after getting held up from one class because they needed proof my heart was fine (had heart surgery at 3 to repair a hole) and my list soon to expire I was a bit panicked that I'd miss out due to my own stupidity this morning. But after speaking to the investigator her suggestion was to just pay it but I'll call her again since her fax for the incident report didn't come through and double check with her, but honestly she didn't seem concerned

Comment

Also from what I've heard there is no plead out with the "traffic violations bureau" if you plead guilty your guilty of what's on the ticket no lesser charge unless you fight it. Oh well, will be off to take my lumps

Comment

Ya know there vance ole Buddy, I'm beginning to really wonder if you're Officer material. You regale us with all of your relatives in law enforcement, you tell us that you were even contemplating not informing your Investigator, hoping he wouldn't see the citation.

Here's something else you might just contemplate. That's the possibility that your Investigator checks websites such as this for posts from applicants such as yours. Believe me, stranger things have happened.

Were I your investigator, and were I to find your series of exchanges with us, I would definitely pass the information on to those who actually make the hiring decisions. Just some random thoughts for your consideration

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5634 users online. 310 members and 5324 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X