Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhilipCal
    replied
    I'm going to try this once more. Any agency to which you apply is going to evaluate you medically as to your current/present fitness to perform the duties of a police officer. Now you can appeal to as many review boards you as you choose, and fight the battle of verbiage and semantics.

Your present and most pressing mission as I see it, is to address the condition you've alluded to. As I noted to you in a previous post, your condition could be a disqualifier for you from a medical perspective, and this would include any physcological issues which may be related to your condition.

Your "discharge" under the conditions you cite is normal unless you've served a minimum of 180 days. (As I recall).This fact, coupled with the medical issues we've been discussing could also act as a reason for an agency to elect not to employ you.

Am I advising you not to apply? No, I am not. What I, along with my colleagues have attempted to advise you, is the very distinct possibility that your situation uncorrected, could act as a bar to your employment.

Those are the facts you're going to have to deal with. Did I mention a Naval Review Board? Don't believe I did. You did.

Leave a comment:

• Showtime0811
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat06 View Post
    Find a different career path. Too many Vets out that dont have this on their records that will be hired before you are even thought about being hired.....
    Well I never lied and my medical documentation backs that. Hopefully the Naval Review Board will look into this and get my narrative reasoning changed.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat06
    replied
    Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
    Fraudulent Entry into the Military Service
    Find a different career path. Too many Vets out that dont have this on their records that will be hired before you are even thought about being hired.....

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    You can find other ways to serve, maybe Firefighter (except for the medical condition which could DQ from that), Security Officers.

Leave a comment:

• Showtime0811
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    Short answer : No, probably not. What we're attempting to convey to you is the very real possibility that your condition could be grounds to disqualify you for employment as a Police Officer. Left untreated, uncorrected, you still have a medical problem.

Keep in mind that any physician who examines you in connection with your prospective employment as a Police Officer, will do so in terms of agency medical standards and qualifications. If your condition in anyway compromises or detracts from your ability(s) to perform the duties of an Officer, these facts will be reported to the agency to which you apply.

Once more, I commend you to the replies of my colleagues. They have more than answered your questions.
    Thanks for your input.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Short answer : No, probably not. What we're attempting to convey to you is the very real possibility that your condition could be grounds to disqualify you for employment as a Police Officer. Left untreated, uncorrected, you still have a medical problem.

Keep in mind that any physician who examines you in connection with your prospective employment as a Police Officer, will do so in terms of agency medical standards and qualifications. If your condition in anyway compromises or detracts from your ability(s) to perform the duties of an Officer, these facts will be reported to the agency to which you apply.

Once more, I commend you to the replies of my colleagues. They have more than answered your questions.

Leave a comment:

• Showtime0811
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Why , what does you being young have to do with it ? You were 18 and thus an adult by law.

Every action a person takes has consequences. Many time those consequences have ramifications that will follow that person throughout their lives. Those ramifications can be positive or negative depending on the action that triggered them.

It sounds like you omitted some information when you did your medical intake with the military. It doesn't matter if the military recruiter "told" you to do so or not----------------what matters is that YOU omitted some medical history and this later bit you in the arse when you got sick in training.

Yes, this very likely COULD prohibit you from serving as a peace officer, but if it does---------YOU are totally to blame for it do to YOUR actions. Own your actions.
    Do you think if I wrote a letter regarding what took place in the military would help me or hurt me? At the end of the background packet there is space to provide an detailed explanation regarding what took place.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Mr. OP, here's what I suggest you do. Go back, and review in detail each reply which you've received. Pay particular attention to those replies given you by L-1. Although they come a California perspective, they have pretty broad application in terms of hiring standards nationwide. Stated another way, what applies in California will pretty well apply in Alabama, Iowa, etc.

While admitedly not medically qualified to answer your question, I would submit this to you. Your condition,could very possibly be as much of a problem for you in law enforcement as it was with the Marines.

IMHO, going to a Naval Medical Review isn't the solution to your problem. You'll need to try to move forward on the fronts my colleague L-1 has noted to you.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    It would really suck if this would mess up my future forever given this was when I was younger.
    Why , what does you being young have to do with it ? You were 18 and thus an adult by law.

Every action a person takes has consequences. Many time those consequences have ramifications that will follow that person throughout their lives. Those ramifications can be positive or negative depending on the action that triggered them.

It sounds like you omitted some information when you did your medical intake with the military. It doesn't matter if the military recruiter "told" you to do so or not----------------what matters is that YOU omitted some medical history and this later bit you in the arse when you got sick in training.

Yes, this very likely COULD prohibit you from serving as a peace officer, but if it does---------YOU are totally to blame for it do to YOUR actions. Own your actions.

Leave a comment:

• Showtime0811
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Don't apologize to me. It isn't going to keep ME from getting a job.

You went in for the test for a reason... and there WAS a problem, as you discovered.

MEPS tells you to tell them EVERYTHING. You didn't.

Had you mentioned the problem as you were required to do they MIGHT have saved you some trouble, even set you on a path to getting treatment and successfully enlisting at a later date. Instead you went thru weeks of boot to no purpose, a failed enlistment and potential problems in future employment.

I spent almost as much time in the military as you have been alive. I know how the military works and I know how MEPS works. You didn't do what you were told to do, what you were supposed to do, and it bit you in the butt... as it usually does.

IF you gain employment as a peace officer, keep this lesson in mind.
    Would going to the Naval review board do any good with this situation? It would really suck if this would mess up my future forever given this was when I was younger.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    IBS can be indicative if psychological issues.
    Good point:

every time that I became nervous I would always need to use the restroom.

Hmmmm...

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    Do you think if I explained and showed what happened regarding my DD214 that I would given a chance to proceed in the processing of getting hired with a police department?
    Your discharge status is a background matter. Backgrounds, medicals and psychs are traditionally not addressed until you successfully pass the written, oral and physical agility, and score high enough to be reachable.

If you get that far, then you will have to address this on three fronts.

1. Does the character of your discharge meet the standards for the position or is it grounds for DQ? None of us know what your agency's standards are, so only a representative of the department you are applying with can answer that.

2. Is the degree of your IBS a medical disqualifier with the agency you are applying with? None of us are physicians, none of us know the extent of your condition and none of are familiar with the medical standards of the agency you are applying with. Sorry, can't help you on that one.

3. IBS can be indicative if psychological issues. Are you free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect your exercise of the powers of a police officer? Are you capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position? None of us are physicians. None of us are familiar with your mental status. Can't help you here either. Like every other applicant, this will need to be determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluations as administered by a licensed psychologist.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Well sorry that my writing isn't too great
    Don't apologize to me. It isn't going to keep ME from getting a job.

There was nothing to report to MEPS since my medical exam came back clear.
    You went in for the test for a reason... and there WAS a problem, as you discovered.

MEPS tells you to tell them EVERYTHING. You didn't.

Had you mentioned the problem as you were required to do they MIGHT have saved you some trouble, even set you on a path to getting treatment and successfully enlisting at a later date. Instead you went thru weeks of boot to no purpose, a failed enlistment and potential problems in future employment.

I spent almost as much time in the military as you have been alive. I know how the military works and I know how MEPS works. You didn't do what you were told to do, what you were supposed to do, and it bit you in the butt... as it usually does.

IF you gain employment as a peace officer, keep this lesson in mind.

Leave a comment:

• Showtime0811
    replied
    Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    You are also going to have to worry about getting through the medical and psych. If you read http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Gastro.pdf you will see that IBS can be a disqualifier. While these are California's standards for law enforcement, the medical principles behind them do not stop at the state line and other states may have similar requirements.
    Do you think if I explained and showed what happened regarding my DD214 that I would given a chance to proceed in the processing of getting hired with a police department?

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    You are also going to have to worry about getting through the medical and psych. If you read http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Gastro.pdf you will see that IBS can be a disqualifier. While these are California's standards for law enforcement, the medical principles behind them do not stop at the state line and other states may have similar requirements.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4319 users online. 295 members and 4024 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X