Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on application packet ( personal History )

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on application packet ( personal History )

Hey guys so on my application in the personal history section, one of the questions asks if you have even been cited for any driving infraction, and if yes provide dates and towns. So this morning I went to the DMV to have them print me out a copy of my driving record/ history ,and all I received was a blank piece of paper saying no record on file. I explained to the lady this must be a mistake because I've been pulled over before. and she stated tickets only last for two years so we have nothing on file. So I'm 26 years old now and from age 16 when I started driving, to age 21 I've been pulled over about 5 or 6 times all for stupid minor speeding or headlight being out or exhaust being to loud, except for one bigger speeding ticket ( which I was given a misdemeanor for and forced to go to court yes I was a stupid 20 year old kid with a fast car ) while at court it was reduced to driving to fast for road conditions and $160 if I plead guilty which I did. However I realized it wasn't worth it I sold the car and changed my ways so in the last 5 years I've been clean and according to the dmv have no record on file, How do I answer this question on the forum I want to be as accurate as I can be, but I don't remember exactly every detail and every date. So I don't want to fill out the forum with wrong information how ever I don't want to lie and say NO because I have been pulled over in the past.

Also do you think that period of time were I got those tickets will hurt me or should I be ok because they were a long time ago ?

Write down what YOU believe is correct. Get as close as possible to the dates and places

Put the phrase "approximate dates" somewhere near the area
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Also I forgot to mention that out of thoes 5-6 times I've been pulled over not every time ended in a ticket some were just warning I want to say I received 3-4 tickets

Comment

Originally posted by B16bri View Post
        Also I forgot to mention that out of thoes 5-6 times I've been pulled over not every time ended in a ticket some were just warning I want to say I received 3-4 tickets
        Then you need to give your best guess on when and where you received the tickets. The question doesn't ask how many times you've been pulled over, it doesn't ask how old you were, it doesn't ask how much you were fined, and it doesn't ask if you sold a car. It is not hard, and it is not a trick question.

Comment

Your driving record is highly scrutinized for a variety of reasons. Your driving record is one way that maturity, responsibility, impulse control, adherence to laws/rules/regulations and attention to safety are evaluated. If I understood your post correctly, you haven't received a ticket in five years, however one was a misdemeanor cite (that is serious).

I see from your subsequent post that you have recieved three or four total tickets related to driving, but you can't remember the number. I find it hard to believe that you don't know the number of tickets you've received. If I were investigating your background, it would leave me to believe that you don't want to get pinned down on a number and that the number is probably much higher than four. If you are being honest, that would also bother me because the ability to recall information is an attribute needed to be a peace officer.

From the information you have provided, I don't see anything that is a deal breaker. That being said, unless you have a college degree, a responsible job and/or military you are fighting an uphill battle. You have to keep in mind that you are competing against highly qualified candidates that don't have your baggage.

Joining the law enforcement family is not an easy process and there is a reason for that. We are trusted with the power to take away a person's freedom by incarcerating them. We are even trusted with the ability to take a person's life. The public demands and deserves that only those who are best qualified/suited should ever join our ranks.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Thank you for all your input, the reason I said 3-4 when I wrote this thread I was in a rush, and was just quickly putting a number out there. I've sat Down with a pen and paper and reviewed my past and I have a total of 3 tickets. As far as a responsible job I've been an electrician since I've graduated high school in 2006 so i have a responsible job and I've been driving company vehicles ever since I've started.

Comment

Just put down your best estimate, if it makes you feel better I had been written 4 tickets from the age of 16 to 26 when I got hired and none of them showed on my record either so I estimated when and where.

Comment

Read the questions carefully but dont over think it so much. Just remember everything u can while being honest and forthright. If your bi has any questions, they will ask you to elaborate, then you can explain just as u did to us.
                sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Does it matter if you fill out your PHQ in pen or typed into the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
                    Does it matter if you fill out your PHQ in pen or typed into the computer?
                    The ability to comprehend and follow instructions is an attribute needed to be a peace officer. I have yet to see a background packet that does not include instructions. On the same token, please see the rules for the Ask a Cop section of the forums.

Comment

retracted. thank you sir
                      Last edited by CharlesInCharge23; 11-13-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Please see my reply above your post regarding posting in Ask a Cop.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4961 users online. 279 members and 4682 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X