Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing some peace of mind (long post)

Hello all, I appreciate your interest & the possibility of giving me a little peace of mind. Let me give you a little information about myself first to maybe help you better answer my questions.

White, Male, 27 years of age
    Born: Clearwater, FL (moved to NC in 2008)
    Education: GED
    Criminal record: Clean, 1 citation in my life, failure to yield, yr of 2008. Traffic lawyer got the ticket dropped. No points on license, anything.
    Goals: Being married with a career in LE, preferably working Patrol/Traffic division.

I just recently submitted my application to the Wilmington PD in NC. Closing date was 10/12/14. I am now awaiting to hear anything from the department, I understand this can take 3+ months. Most of my questions are about my past, so lets begin.

The biggest problem for me, and this is where I could really use anyone's input with knowledge on this situation. I seen a psychiatrist when I was about 19-20 years old.

Let me give you a little back story.

I never knew my father growing up. Never met him, never knew what he looked like, nothing. Fast forward to me being about 18-19 years old. A family friend was able to locate my dad's parents in Galesburg, IL. He contacted them, and they were ecstatic, and drove down to meet me in FL the same week. On the phone they told him my father took his life in 1992. Upon hearing that info, he wanted to tell me, however my mother didn't think it as a good idea at the time, since I was struggling a bit in high school.

I come home from school one day and was told this news. My world was turned literally upside down. I always expected to eventually find my father, and meet him. Ask him the loads of questions I had. What happened? Why did you leave? What is your favorite color? etc. Hearing this news, I knew I didn't have that chance anymore. I would never know my father.

This sent me into a pretty deep depression. I couldn't focus on my schooling. I dropped out. I moved in with a older family friend. My depression only got worse. I have a very supportive family, but they were busy with their lives I think to see how depressed I was. My mother had her own problems, so I also felt alone. No one to speak to about my feelings. I never felt this way before. A couple years go by feeling this way. My sleep schedule was a mess. I would play video games to the morning hours, sometimes going 24 hrs or more. Anything I could do to make me feel happy. I struggled with holding jobs, I just didn't feel motivated.

One day I felt motivated enough to go down to my local community college, and try to obtain my GED, which I did successfully. I felt awesome. Forcing myself to go down there and study with the teachers, and then to see a positive outcome. It really boosted my confidence.

Not long after that, my mother thought it would be a good idea if I just go speak to a psychiatrist about my depression, father, etc. So I did. I went there with the mindset that I wanted something to be wrong with me. I want to be bipolar or something. Just anything that would explain why I am feeling this way. Before all this I was fine. Loads of friends, popular in school, hardly ever sad. Now after my dad, I feel this way, so before even going in to speak with the psychiatrist, I had it in my head that I must be diagnosed with something. That way I can give it a name, and explain, "THIS" is why I am like this.

I will say, I felt I wasn't 100% honest with the psychiatrist because I was wanting to be diagnosed with something. For the most part, I was honest, but I would add a few things here and there, to maybe sound more bipolar, since I knew this was the most common diagnosis. They never actually diagnosed me with anything. They never came out and said, "Okay, here is the problem, you are THIS" but they prescribed me Lithium, and Seroquel XR (mainly for my sleep). Both of these are used generally to treat bipolar disorder. I went home and started to take the medication. I noticed not long that I didn't like the meds at all. They didn't help with anything. I felt worse it felt like. I stopped taking the meds, and never went to see the psychiatrist again.

Fast forward to 2008, I made the decision to move to NC with my girlfriend at the time. Which was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. She was amazing. It felt like being rescued from a deep dark well and seeing light again for the first time. I will admit, moving here did take it's toll on me for awhile. Being away from all my family. Having to live with her family that I didn't know very well. All of this was so new to me. It took a lot of time to adjust, and for everything to fall into place. Instead of work, I stayed home and raised our son. (not biological son, but that doesn't matter to me, I am his father) He was turning 2 at the time I stepped into his life. He doesn't really know his biological father, he knows me as dad. I raised him while she worked. She was already well established here with a great job, and it was more beneficial to us for me to stay home, then to pay daycare expenses until he was old enough to go to school.

Fast forward to present day, and I am still here in NC, been with my fiance` and our son now for 6 years, and looking to get married in 2015. I work a full time job, and I feel like a normal human being.

Being a Police Officer was all I ever imagined being growing up. I remember being in elementary school and looking at my SRO like a super hero. "I want to be like that guy" I remember thinking.

So that's it. Basically I am looking for any advice, any info, anything. Do I have a shot? Were my chances ruined after falling into depression, seeing a psychiatrist, etc.

My work history is not good. I have held a full time job ever since my son started kindergarten. Other than that though, it was small jobs that didn't last long. A lot of temp jobs, etc.

With the exception of getting my GED, bad work history, and falling into depression, I have tried to live my life as clean as possible. My mother did teach me great morals, which I try to instill in my son every day.

I have never tried any form of illegal drugs. Never once tried marijuana. I have never even took a puff from a cigarette.
    I have never in my life been intoxicated.
    Not once ever been in trouble with the police, other than the failure to yield in 2008 in NC.

I am not a saint, but I have tried to live my life mostly based around the fact that I wanted to be a Police Officer. This meant losing some friends, being criticized by some. In the end, just the simple dream, or thought of being a Police Officer I think has molded me into the person I am today.

I want to thank each and every one of you for reading this far. I would greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer me. My life goal is to be in LE. Please if you would, express to me your true feelings if I have a shot. If I hear anything back from Wilmington, and say I even make it past the Oral Board, I am going to express all of this to my Background Investigator and then some. Again, thank you.
    Last edited by matthew_p; 10-14-2014, 04:08 PM. Reason: typos

Your biggest problem with probably be only having a GED

Although legally a GED = Diploma----------------it just is not looked upon as the same when you are trying to get hired in Law Enforcement
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree with my colleague concerning the GED. Please understand, I'm not minimizing the effort it required for you to obtain it. None of us are medically qualified to pass judgement on your possible mental issues. In the most general of terms, if in the judgement of a medical professional (physciatrist)) your past condition would not act as a bar to your employment as an Officer, then your "issues" wouldn't be a problem.

Understand though, that this determination is made in accordance with the medical standards of a given department. These are typically determined by the concerned state police officer standards and training board or agency.

As you prepare to apply, attempt to determine if your past condition as you've described it could pose a problem. If you're able, attempt to get some college under your belt, with a degree ( 4 year) if at all possible. The studies/degree need not be in a law enforcement or related field.

Best of luck in your endeavors in or out of law enforcement.

Comment

I stopped reading at GED.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, so I came back and read your post. Your GED and poor work history will make it very difficult for you to get hired. The psych issue will need to be addressed by a mental health professional.

Thumbs up for being a daddy to a little boy.
        Last edited by just joe; 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

By best friend has a GED and he got hired (he has an Associates Degree as well). He is a fantastic cop and has been officer of the year for two different departments. The departments in my area will overlook a GED with at least sixty semester units. I'm saying this so you know there is hope. Go and earn an Associates at the minimum then start applying.

Good luck in your endeavors.
          Last edited by Country_Jim; 10-14-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
            By best friend had a GED when he got hired (he had an Associates Degree as well). He is a fantastic cop and has been officer of the year for two different departments. The departments in my area will overlook a GED with at least sixty semester units. I'm saying this so you know there is hope. Go and earn an Associates at the minimum then start applying.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Didn't mean you couldn't get hired with a GED. It just is not looked at the same (at least in my area). I have worked with more than one GED holder

But even in the prisons, they are having INMATES get their HS diploma after they get the GED because the inference is a diploma is better.

One of the best COPS I ever worked with actually had a 10 grade education ----but he wouldn't be hired today
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              Didn't mean you couldn't get hired with a GED. It just is not looked at the same (at least in my area). I have worked with more than one GED holder

But even in the prisons, they are having INMATES get their HS diploma after they get the GED because the inference is a diploma is better.

One of the best COPS I ever worked with actually had a 10 grade education ----but he wouldn't be hired today
              You are 100% correct. Hopefully, the OP enrolls in college.

Comment

These days college is the key but you don't have to major in CJ.. In my area most departments in the suburbs require a minimum of a bachelors degree if you posses a masters degree it will give you the upper hand.. I know one local police officer that has a J.D Law degree, and a couple that have masters degrees. The job market especially law enforcement is very competitive..you should pursue a degree and I hope everything works out for you OP
                Last edited by Munevo89; 10-15-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

My dept. theoretically hires people with GEDs but I haven't met anyone with one in about 10 yrs. The psych history would be evaluated, but it was a long time ago and what you went through would be difficult (to put it mildly) for anyone to deal with. You don't necessarily have a bad work history--you stayed home with your son.
                  Good luck to you.
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I see no major DQs here, but I concur with my colleagues. You would find it easier to get hired with more work experience and some college or even a degree.

I got a HS Diploma but I NEVER obtained a college degree. I never finished my AA degree.
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I agree with the others. The best way to make up for having a GED instead of a HS diploma is to go get a college degree. That's what I did. Going to an accredited college and getting a bachelor's degree shows you have the intelligence and drive to make up for it.

Does look a little funny in my applications packets though, average grades in HS and didn't finish, but then graduated from college summa cum laude. And they will still ask why you didn't finish high school but isn't as big of a deal to them if you show them you made the ship right.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                        Immediately enroll in college or the military (even at 27 with a fiance and a kid) as that is a place where you are light years behind your competition for a cop job.
                        This is your best bet. I wouldn't even put in applications until I at least had a associates degree or knew another language.

Comment

I was the chief of a small town. Would I hire you with a GED? Maybe. But my town paid crap so many HS grads, and/or college degree holders weren't beating down my door for a job.

Psych issues? That's the Shrink's job to say whether, or not, you are stable for police work.

But, really, despite our best intentions to give you advice, this group really doesn't know any better. We are all over the country with departments whose hiring standards vary from one place to another. We don't know who you're competing with and where you want to work.

Let's say you pass the written, oral, psych, etc. Then you walk in the door in a group of 20 and there are only five spots, who are they going to hire first? I'll tell you they will hire the Vets, College, minority, second-language speakers and combinations of all three, BEFORE they get to the GED holders.

You absolutely NEED to stand out in the "crowd of 20". One way you can do it is by working as a RESERVE, perhaps. Hiring standards are different because you're not getting paid, BUT your foot is in the door, they know you've proven yourself, and who knows, in a few years, they offer you the chance to work full-time for a paycheck.

You sound like a good guy, who had a crap deal. I hope it works out for you.
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4655 users online. 284 members and 4371 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X