Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Driving History

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by MrWesley View Post
    Eh, gotta have thick skin to be an MP. I didn't mind being called a BF. I was proud MP, never jammed up a Marine that didn't ask for it. Open container in car, pour it out or I'll write a citation. Every now and then you'd come across a few who didn't get it. In return I was called a BF, but oh well.





    If you WERE an MP. Doubt you ever were.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by MrWesley View Post
      I never stated I was arrested or cited for "DWS" , my license was revoked when I was 18 for points. Then Ohio suspended my license due to not paying a fine. In my defense, he wrote down my wrong address and it was never sent to me. I didn't devate though, just paid the fine and reinstated my license.
      How do you know he wrote down the wrong address/know if and where it was sent instead? Did you have a copy of the original citation with the wrong address written on it or did you track down this info later through the courts or PD?

      Sorry for the slight hijack, MrWesley- Curious to hear from LEOs if it's a valid excuse for going to warrant (re: lack of payment or Failure To Appear) when the offender legitimately never received a court date or fine payment information due to human error somewhere in the process. I stress legitimately because ~100% of the people I've seen pulled over and caught for warrants say "I never got anything about this in the mail, had no idea" and like 98% of them are obviously lying. But the other 2% made me wonder.

      In Nevada the fine info and court date are written right on the citation and the offender signs it, so there is proof that they're aware of their obligation. Apparently in other states it is mailed to them...?
      Last edited by Scarlett_Nopants; 10-14-2014, 04:44 PM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Scarlett_Nopants View Post
        Curious to hear from LEOs if it's a valid excuse for going to warrant (re: lack of payment or Failure To Appear) when the offender legitimately never received a court date or fine payment information due to human error somewhere in the process.
        It's not a function of a LEO to worry about this............................IF there is a warrant, the person gets arrested

        The Court system will take care of worrying about it being a legitimate excuse
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

        Comment


        • #49
          Scarlett, let's do some basics. When the violator signs the citation, he/she agrees to either pay the citation or enter a plea of "Not Guilty" and request a court date. Instructions, including court and court clerk phone numbers are found on the reverse of the violator's copy of the citation/summons. It is the violator's responsibility, as evidenced by his signature, to follow all of the pertinent instructions. He would also be responsible for advising the court of any changes in his address etc.

          Yes, errors are sometimes made by court clerks and others in the "system". However, in the vast majority of cases, and in cases where a citation/summons goes to warrant, the fault lies with the violator.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            It's not a function of a LEO to worry about this............................IF there is a warrant, the person gets arrested

            The Court system will take care of worrying about it being a legitimate excuse
            Oh yeah, haha. Good point.

            Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            Scarlett, let's do some basics. When the violator signs the citation, he/she agrees to either pay the citation or enter a plea of "Not Guilty" and request a court date. Instructions, including court and court clerk phone numbers are found on the reverse of the violator's copy of the citation/summons. It is the violator's responsibility, as evidenced by his signature, to follow all of the pertinent instructions. He would also be responsible for advising the court of any changes in his address etc.

            Yes, errors are sometimes made by court clerks and others in the "system". However, in the vast majority of cases, and in cases where a citation/summons goes to warrant, the fault lies with the violator.
            Gotcha, thanks for clarifying! It sounded like maybe there were moving violation citations that are not signed right then by the violator and the info is just mailed to them later. For things like red light camera tickets it would make sense, but not for speeding.
            Last edited by Scarlett_Nopants; 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM. Reason: typo

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Scarlett_Nopants View Post
              Oh yeah, haha. Good point.



              Gotcha, thanks for clarifying! It sounded like maybe there were moving violation citations that are not signed right then by the violator and the info is just to them mailed later. For things like red light camera tickets it would make sense, but not for speeding.


              I have arrested people who I knew for a fact were incarcerated in another county when they failed to appear for a court date in my county-------------Heck I have even picked them up FROM THAT JAIL on a warrant from my county.

              It's STILL their responsibility to appear ------or notify the court of their inability to appear.

              Most likely the defendant will have the charge of failure to appear dismissed if they are found to be "not at fault" either because they were in jail or the notice was sent to the wrong address due to a clerical error, but that does not make the arrest wrong
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                I have arrested people who I knew for a fact were incarcerated in another county when they failed to appear for a court date in my county-------------Heck I have even picked them up FROM THAT JAIL on a warrant from my county.

                It's STILL their responsibility to appear ------or notify the court of their inability to appear.

                Most likely the defendant will have the charge of failure to appear dismissed if they are found to be "not at fault" either because they were in jail or the notice was sent to the wrong address due to a clerical error, but that does not make the arrest wrong
                I see. Appreciate the explanation. The OP hasn't answered my question about how he knew the officer got his address wrong. Basically it sounds like he should have been aware of a responsibility to follow up after receiving the ticket and this defense
                Originally posted by MrWesley View Post
                Then Ohio suspended my license due to not paying a fine. In my defense, he wrote down my wrong address and it was never sent to me. I didn't devate [debate?]though, just paid the fine and reinstated my license.
                is just... not a defense. If there was indeed a clerical error he could have had (or still have?) the FTA/failure to pay dismissed and his whole suspension thing would be a non-issue, right?


                MrWesley- is there any reason for not trying to get that dismissal if your suspension is such a big deal? Going to court in another state for an error sounds like a pain but, uh, maybe them's the breaks if you care about having a clean record.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Scarlett,

                  If you're not a law enforcement officer you should not be posting in Ask a Cop, unless you are an OP and have a question that needs answered.

                  Have a great night and good luck in the job search.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Ack, my bad! Thanks for the heads up. I thought we were allowed to post if we had related questions about the OP that the OP/an LEO could answer (Guidelines said "HOWEVER, if you are a civilian and have a NEW Question or need clarification of an answer, you can reply in the original post"), I misinterpreted that.

                    Stepping out, my apologies to everyone
                    Last edited by Scarlett_Nopants; 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Everything has been answered
                      Last edited by MrWesley; 07-27-2019, 12:26 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Actually, Dekalb SO would be a good place to start. You could wait out the years between your driving history etc while working in the jail and get great experience. In my experience, people that started working in the jails are way ahead of the game when they get on the road. Spanish is a good language for the area too. What is a PEB test?
                        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Everything has been answered
                          Last edited by MrWesley; 07-27-2019, 12:26 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Everything has been answered
                            Last edited by MrWesley; 07-27-2019, 12:26 AM.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 4913 users online. 318 members and 4595 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X