300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "is this a DQ" thread...

-Got fired from a part time college job (a technicality, managers said they would provide great references if needed)
    -Dismissed from college for not keeping high enough GPA (100+ credit hours under my belt, got a job afterwards in what i wanted to do, been there for about 2 years)
    - 2 underage drinking tickets when I was 17 or 18, can't remember (~9 years ago)
    -speeding ticket and ticket for riding my motorcycle with an expired license (separate incidents, one a car and the other obviously motorcycle. Both over 3 years ago)

Other than that, no drugs, no other traffic violations, clean record and no health concerns. Would I be alright? Seems like a lot but its very minor things. I'm not sure how they would look at it though. Thanks

Two underage drinking tickets will be scrutinized ... And riding a motorcycle with out a license just three years ago looks really bad. You have an uphill battle my friend
    NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
    List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
    APD -???

Comment

While I don't see any automatic Disqualifiers, I see ample reason to non-select you. There is a major difference in the two. Dropping out of college can be fixed, and I urge you to do that.

Driving with expired license . you didn't make it clear whether or not that was an expired Driver License, or an expired license plate. Your most recent citations may be a little too recent. Three to five years, arrest/citation free is pretty much the norm for the great majority of agencies.

You need to understand that as you enter a given hiring process, you will be competing against stellar candidates who won't bring even your relatively minor issues to the table. For the present work on establishing a solid record of citizenship. That includes a good academic, and/or work history. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. The motorcycle incident was weird because it was only expired for a few days and it was actually in the middle.of the winter. I was driving it home from the shop (got a new wheel on it). This incident was like 6 years ago. The speeding tixket was 3 i think. Maybe 4, cant remember. Still no excuse. Any one else have insight?

Edit: if i recall, it was an expired temp, not license
        Last edited by el100; 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

While some of my colleagues may offer you additional insights, you'd be wise to take the advice already given. The job of making yourself a viable candidate is yours, and yours alone. The sooner you get started, the better chance you might have of entering this profession.

Your mission, your challenge, is to become a competitive, viable, applicant. Currently, you're not. THAT'S what you have to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by el100 View Post
            -Got fired from a part time college job (a technicality, managers said they would provide great references if needed)
            -Dismissed from college for not keeping high enough GPA (100+ credit hours under my belt, got a job afterwards in what i wanted to do, been there for about 2 years)
            - 2 underage drinking tickets when I was 17 or 18, can't remember (~9 years ago)
            -speeding ticket and ticket for riding my motorcycle with an expired license (separate incidents, one a car and the other obviously motorcycle. Both over 3 years ago)

Other than that, no drugs, no other traffic violations, clean record and no health concerns. Would I be alright? Seems like a lot but its very minor things. I'm not sure how they would look at it though. Thanks
            Any firing does not look good, but you still have to disclose the information honestly. BI's will check up on incidents like that and will get in contact with either the manager or company to discuss the terms of termination.

Dismissal from college also does not look good. Regardless of what you say to defend it, it comes across that you do not care enough to dedicate you time to better your future. LE takes a lot of work and dedication. BI's will look for such things during the process.

I can see one underage drinking ticket, but two shows that you didn't learn from the first time and still had a blatant disregard for the law. This next statement really doesn't matter, but I'm sure even though you only received two tickets, there were many other incidents before and after that you still continued to underage drink.

People get speeding tickets, it happens. The expired license falls under the same category as lack of responsibility though. Again regardless of your reasoning, it shows you lack the ability to keep up on important tasks.

While none of the above are immediate disqualifiers, I will repeat the words many have already said: You have an uphill battle, many candidates looking for a job have a stellar background which makes it tougher to compete against.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
              Any firing does not look good, but you still have to disclose the information honestly. BI's will check up on incidents like that and will get in contact with either the manager or company to discuss the terms of termination.

Dismissal from college also does not look good. Regardless of what you say to defend it, it comes across that you do not care enough to dedicate you time to better your future. LE takes a lot of work and dedication. BI's will look for such things during the process.

I can see one underage drinking ticket, but two shows that you didn't learn from the first time and still had a blatant disregard for the law. This next statement really doesn't matter, but I'm sure even though you only received two tickets, there were many other incidents before and after that you still continued to underage drink.

People get speeding tickets, it happens. The expired license falls under the same category as lack of responsibility though. Again regardless of your reasoning, it shows you lack the ability to keep up on important tasks.

While none of the above are immediate disqualifiers, I will repeat the words many have already said: You have an uphill battle, many candidates looking for a job have a stellar background which makes it tougher to compete against.
              I couldn't have put it any better.
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You are going to have an uphill battle. As noted, it would be easy not to hire you and pick someone else.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3358 users online. 178 members and 3180 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X