300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing some insight

I am kind of reluctant to even post seeing how other people get degraded and belittled for their past mistakes.

At the age of 19 I enrolled into classes at the community college for criminal justice, I currently have 19 credits and ended up with a 3.8 GPA

At the age of 22 I stopped going to the community college and I decided to enlist in the army to better my chances of getting into SWAT at whatever department I was hired and would pick up on my criminal justice schooling with the GI Bill.

Just before my ship date I rolled my truck and was charged with a DUI, my leave date was then postponed after applying for a DUI waiver.

The judge gave me the option to choose two weeks jail time over probation so it wouldn't affect my new leave date. I obviously chose the two weeks

At 23 and a week out for my ship date I was charged with interference while out downtown celebrating my birthday and spent a night in city jail.

I told my recruiting officer what happened and was instructed to lie, in fear of fraudulent enlistment, the possibility of a dishonorable discharged, my recruiters want to fulfill his numbers I didn't go down that Avenue.

So here I am, age 27, recently talked to a friend who is a sergeant at a sheriff's department gave me a glimmer of hope. He opened my eyes to see that as of Oct 23rd 2014 my dui will be 5 years behind me and in March 2015 so will the interference ticket. 5 years is required for dui and misdemeanor charges before applying to many Departments. In those 5 years I picked myself up, handled the drinking where problems followed, I've repaired my credit, held a stable job, started a family, bought a home and haven't had any tickets or any negative interactions with police.

I'm anxiously waiting for March 1st 2015 so I can begin applying to local police departments, and finally, I'm asking for insight, what else can I do to better my chances, advice etc....

Thanks guys for what you do, I hope to join you guys if I can.
    Last edited by cwollam; 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM. Reason: typos

Let's start with this. We, contrary to what you've been led to believe, don't degrade or belittle people. We tell the unvarnished, straight from the shoulder truth. Many people seem to have trouble with that, preferring instead the fluff, B.S. Oh it's all OK, crap indulgent parents have led them to believe is normal.

Now, to step two. While you've perhaps been led to believe the contrary, you're not entitled to a job. That especially applies to this profession. You were found guilty of a charge of DUI, and currently it, along with your "Interference " charge is far too recent. In it's own way, the Interference charge bothers me more than the DUI. But then, that's my particular problem.

I'm not going to get into your alleged differences with the Recruiter. I will say this. If the Armed Forces will still accept you, it would be a good start in your efforts to establish a record of industry and good citizenship. Presently, you're not even close to being a marginal candidate, let alone a competitive one.

Once more, a successful enlistment, one with no blemishes on your record, one which results in an all important Honorable Discharge, are going to basic to any hopes you have at entering this profession. If the Armed Forces don't want you, or won't accept you, that effort at responsible citizenship is still critical.

It will consist of a stable job history, and a sustained period (five years or more) of good citizenship. That will include arrest free, citation free conduct and behavior.

Now if you feel belittled or demeaned, proceed directly to your computer and complain to the Moderators about me. Be certain to write your Representative in Congress, and a side note to Hillary (It Takes a Village) Clinton. They'll be certain to rally to your side. Believe that, and I've got a couple of bridges I'll cut you a great deal on.

Comment

I don't feel belittled at all I never said the harsh truth won't hurt but it is accepted. I'm an adult and can handle that. I am however just making sure you did read my full post. Within the last 5 years I have remained citation free ticket free stable job and all. I will respectfully say I am aware the job is not a right and an individual is not entitled to it. I know I made my mistakes I tried my best to correct them I accept full responsibility for them as well not trying to dodge blame for anything trying to find out what I can do at this point to better my situation.

Comment

Probably be another 5 years for you, assuming you stay 100% perfect.

You getting hired isn't all about you, it's about your competition too. There's hundreds of people out there who haven't made the same mistakes and/or decisions that you made. Good luck!

Comment

I know its such a bummer, I really wish I wasn't such an idiot when I was younger. Even though some of the departments requirements are that a individual can't have either of those charges within the last 5 years, sucks to hear that by March next year I'll meet the requirement and still could possibly be looked over
          Last edited by cwollam; 10-08-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Around my area we are very strict with DUI/DWI. Most of the time, regardless of the amount of time that has passed, a DUI/DWI is a no go.

Comment

I live near an area where two officers got a DUI and still have a job as officers. I live in Colorado. Depends, any more they are so common.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                Probably be another 5 years for you, assuming you stay 100% perfect.

You getting hired isn't all about you, it's about your competition too. There's hundreds of people out there who haven't made the same mistakes and/or decisions that you made. Good luck!
                I would agree with this 110%

The Sgt with the Sheriff's Office gave you a glimmer----------------------------and that is all it is. Your completion is going to be combat veterans with stellar backgrounds (MANY of them with 4 yr college degrees).

MINIMUM of 10 yrs after the DUI and then you are going to have an EXCELLENT background history (which you do not) in order to over come the DUI conviction.

Yea someone MIGHT hire you , but I wouldn't bet the farm on in any time soon

Originally posted by cwollam View Post
                s, sucks to hear that by March next year I'll meet the requirement and still could possibly be looked over
                I know of NO AGENCY that hires at minimum requirements
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I am kind of reluctant to even post seeing how other people get degraded and belittled for their past mistakes.
                  Everyone has answered your questions, but I am going to respond to this one sentence so that people reading this in the future may "get it".

We don't belittle people because they made mistakes. Believe it or not - we understand people make mistakes. Heck, we are in the mistake business! But please take a minute to know what we deal with daily. I've never arrested a person that thought they were guilty of whatever I was arresting them for. No drunk driver has ever admitted he was drunk. No wife beater has ever thought they were guilty. Instead - they try to bargain down their mistake by making it someone elses fault. "I never would have beaten her up if she hadn't thrown away my skin mags, that's just somethin' you don't do." or "Everyone else was drinking, so they talked me into having 1 or 2 more.."

ITS B/S. If there was one thing I could wish men (and women) still did today that they did 100 years ago - it would be that they had enough self respect in them to own their mistakes. I don't expect anyone to be perfect. Nobody is perfect. Just own your mistakes and accept the outcome of them.

What we see here - time and time again - are people asking about their chances after detailing a list of criminal activity, then when the brain trust tells them they are not a viable candidate, they start to debate it. They start to bargain down their mistakes against whatever good they think they've done, like they net each other out. Then when that doesn't work, they blame society as a whole. Then, they lash out at the people just telling them what they asked for. It just so happens they didn't get the answer they wanted. That's life.

You can't bargain down your mistakes. You own them, make amends, move on, and accept the fallout. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, then find happiness doing something else. But don't argue with the people here that know what they are talking about like PhilipCal just because you want some other answer. Now I know you didn't do that -- but most do, so as I said, I am writing this for future readers to hopefully absorb.

We have to deal with our customers making mistakes and not owning their own mistakes. Its not a trait we want from our brothers and sisters too.

Comment

I live near an area where two officers got a DUI and still have a job as officers. I live in Colorado. Depends, any more they are so common.
                    LARGE difference where an officer who has a job gets to keep it with a DUI and someone walking in hat in hand asking for a job

We don't talk about "that other guy did this and is a cop" because all instances in the hiring process are different and happened at different times
                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In relation to my previous post, this is where you start slipping down that slope. This is getting painfully close to "well its obviously ok because these other things happened" - trying to bargain down your DUI by referencing others.

I worked in an office for most of my career, was late getting into LE. In the office I worked - we wouldn't hire someone who popped hot on a drug screening. However if there was an office random screening and someone popped hot, there were programs for treatment for the individual, it wasn't an automatic dismissal. It's all in how you own it.

See, again, people make mistakes. Someone that has been hired, worked for a department for a while, established working relationships with peers, and has a good record that messes up and makes a mistake... well, there is a reason to rehabilitate rather than terminate. There is a huge cost to getting a new person to the point of being a good officer. It takes training and time, which both take money. Not only is rehab a right thing to do, its a cost effective thing to do.

Comment

I don't feel belittled at all I never said the harsh truth won't hurt but it is accepted. I'm an adult and can handle that. I am however just making sure you did read my full post. Within the last 5 years I have remained citation free ticket free stable job and all. I will respectfully say I am aware the job is not a right and an individual is not entitled to it. I know I made my mistakes I tried my best to correct them I accept full responsibility for them as well not trying to dodge blame for anything trying to find out what I can do at this point to better my situation.

I read it in it's entirety, thus the reply you received.

Comment

thank you guys for your honesty, I do not want to come off as one of those fake people that are thinking about dabbling in law enforcement, as I mentioned I studied criminal justice and did well in my classes, my Sheriff friend happened to ask what happened and why I stopped pursuing law enforcement I told him what I told you, he said enough to where I now I want to pick up where I left off almost 5 years ago. if it does or does not work out for me I will gladly post back on here.

Just for the record I do appreciate what you guys do and I do respect the job I know not everyone does. Thanks

Comment

just to clear the air I'm not saying about those two officers if they did it I can do it. I know what I did wrong and I fully accept the consequences. Just clearing the air.
                            Last edited by cwollam; 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                              Around my area we are very strict with DUI/DWI. Most of the time, regardless of the amount of time that has passed, a DUI/DWI is a no go.
                              Most of the agencies I know are the same thing. OP your best chance of getting a LE job is to learn another language. That boasts your worth up a lot. Even with that it will probably still be awhile (at least 5 years) before you get seriously looked at.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3826 users online. 203 members and 3623 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X