300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an automatic dq?

So I've done tons of research in regards to my question and have seen many different answers but I just need some light shed on my situation. So when I was younger I had got in trouble and was placed on probation. Majority of the things I have on my background as a juvenile are probation violations and runaway. The thing that really hurts me is I have a gang enhancement as a juvenile. I was hanging out with my cousins and they had got into a fight and I participated in the fight and was arrested. Yes I know I willingly participated in the fight and have payed the price for it. As far as I'm concerned a gang enhancement is a felony. Since then I have not been in trouble as an adult. I have obtained employment as a correctional officer for a private prison and currently work as a youth correctional officer. All of this had happened when I was 16, I am now 25. I recently applied for a detention officer position with Maricopa County SO and just wondering if the gang enhancement will affect me getting a job. I intend to be honest about my situation and will cross my fingers. Also do I need to list any minor offenses as a juvenile (ie. probation violation, runaway) and just mention the major charge? Any advise will help. I know my mistake and ask for professional answers no bashing please.

The mere fact that you're asking if you have to list ANY prior offenses is disturbing to me. It's entirely possible that as part of a Background Investigation this particular post (Question) could come back to bite you in the butt.

Normally juvenile offenses aren't adjudicated as guilty/not guilty as in adult offenses. That said, ANY juvenile charges and subsequent adjudications must be disclosed on a SPH, Polygraph Questionnaire, or similar document.

These offenses and adjudications, plus any violations of the terms of probation or other court orders are judged on a "totality of circumstances". What I have offered you is very general. You'd be well advised to contact any agency to which you apply for further clarification.

Based on what you've disclosed, and the fact that you even considered lying by omission, it's probable that you're in for a very uphill battle to join this profession in any capacity.

Hopefully, you desired an honest reply to your question. This, I have attempted to give you. Many, many posters who don't receive the fluff and feel good Hillary Clinton answers they are seeking, become very angry at the truth. Hopefully, you're mature enough not to be one of them.

Comment

I'm not going to even address the fact that you may possibly think about lying/omitting such things for a background investigation. Ultimately it doesn't look favorable, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Comment

Sorry I have worded my above situation badly. I intend to be honest about everything from my juvenile past since that was the only time in my life I had been in trouble with the law. What I meant was since I was a minor do I need to list everything that is on my juvenile background or do they only care about the major things such as the gang enhancement? Like I said before I have worked as a correctional officer for a private prison and currently work as a juvenile youth correctional officer, my only thing is I don't believe that both jobs have done a background check that was extensive. I don't know how extensive background checks are conducted. I do apologize for how things were worded and I do not intend to lie about anything, just need advise. I don't mean to offend anyone in this profession by the way.

Comment

It is really going to depend on how the agency in question views juvenile offenses. I commend you on being someone who appears to have actually turned their life around.

Comment

Thanks just joe I appreciate it.

Comment

First let me commend you on turning your life around. Second, I believe you have an uphill battle to face if you want to become a law enforcement officer. My department made the mistake of hiring two former gang members. Both times it has bitten us in the rear end. From the information you have provided us, I would not reccomend you for hire. As you are aware, the choices we make in life can limit our opportunities in the future.

Why not stay on with the juvenile probation department and serve as a mentor to those in need. I am willing to bet that the youths you supervise need a role model.

I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by comisteven89 View Post
                The thing that really hurts me is I have a gang enhancement as a juvenile. I was hanging out with my cousins and they had got into a fight and I participated in the fight and was arrested. Yes I know I willingly participated in the fight and have payed the price for it. As far as I'm concerned a gang enhancement is a felony.
                Forgive me, but one does not get a gang enhancement merely for hanging out with one's cousin and getting into a fight. There has to be a lot more to the story that is not being told here.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by comisteven89 View Post
                  Sorry I have worded my above situation badly. I intend to be honest about everything from my juvenile past since that was the only time in my life I had been in trouble with the law. What I meant was since I was a minor do I need to list everything that is on my juvenile background or do they only care about the major things such as the gang enhancement? Like I said before I have worked as a correctional officer for a private prison and currently work as a juvenile youth correctional officer, my only thing is I don't believe that both jobs have done a background check that was extensive. I don't know how extensive background checks are conducted. I do apologize for how things were worded and I do not intend to lie about anything, just need advise. I don't mean to offend anyone in this

profession by the way.

You seem to have a distinct ability to totally miss the point. What we're attempting to tell you is, YES, you MUST disclose each and every arrest you were subject to as a juvenile. You MUST fully and completely disclose the results of any terms of probation or other orders of the court.

Additionally, you must disclose any violations of the terms of your probation, or the violation(s) or non compliance with any court orders you were subject to. Be advised as well, and this has been duly noted to you, that "Gang Enhancements" are not casually added to a given subject's record. They are included for serious reasons.

I agree with my colleague that the whole story is not being told here. You're under no obligation to tell us the unexpergated truth. You are under that obligation to agency to which you apply. My distinct impression of you at this time is far less than favorable. You seem all too willing to lie by omission, and conveniently "forget" facts and circumstances which do not bode well for you entering this profession in any role or capacity.

Comment

Hanging, participated, arrested= gang member. He just won't admit it. I wonder how many crimes he did that weren't caught?
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yeah, that IS the question. Something tells me he's going to end up at Burger King. He can have it his way.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                        First let me commend you on turning your life around. Second, I believe you have an uphill battle to face if you want to become a law enforcement officer. My department made the mistake of hiring two former gang members. Both times it has bitten us in the rear end. From the information you have provided us, I would not reccomend you for hire. As you are aware, the choices we make in life can limit our opportunities in the future.

Why not stay on with the juvenile probation department and serve as a mentor to those in need. I am willing to bet that the youths you supervise need a role model.

I wish you luck in your endeavors.
                        Pretty much what he said. Its going to be very difficult for you to get hired as a LEO.

Comment

story is a bit shakey... disclose everything... might as well try, worst case they tell you no.

Comment

Keep doing what you're doing and stay on a good path.

While you may not be a prime candidate at age 25, you may be a better candidate at 35. Ten years removed can give you a different perspective and perhaps you'll find you can make a great difference in the lives of others without being a sworn police officer... See how 10 years made the difference from 16-25....

Good luck and YMMV
                            Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                            drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

Having a felony definitely put a halt on your career options. The runaway stuff is minimal compared to that. I dont see you getting hired on anywhere.
                              sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5505 users online. 305 members and 5200 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X