Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLEO to Local/State

Hi all,

I want to ask a question that has been burning a hole in my brain for the past several months. Anyone who has experience with this issue or has an honest opinion, I would appreciate hearing from you!

I've been a FLEO for the past three years and while the pay is great, the actual job IMO is HORRIBLE and has already affected my personal life. Aside from the same mundane, monotonous tasks everyday and the usual incompetence of management, there is little to no actual law enforcement work done. I've always been interested in actual LE and was in the process for several local and federal agencies at one point, but I clearly made a mistake and took the first job that was offered. I was young and saw the $$ that the Feds could offer.

To the question, has anyone made the switch from federal to local/state (highway patrol) who didn't have any prior local or state experience? My only experience is ride alongs (which were awesome btw) and the little experience I gained as a MP in the Reserves. Did you take a significant pay cut and find yourself missing the checks? Or was the job satisfaction enough to balance it out? Any regrets?

I should also note that I'm in the process for a few 1811 positions. Maybe I should take may chances and hope to get hired by one of them?

Thanks in advance for all the advice and input!

Stay safe!

I know several people who have left the FED and entered Local/State LE. I know more than one 1811 who has done so...........

I know a couple who did not have prior non FED service.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

FLEO To Local/State

What type of FLEO are you? Is it is Federal Protective Service, Veterans Administration Police, or something similar? Many organizations have mundane, monotonous tasks everyday and incompetence. Since you are in the running for 1811 slots, I would give that an honest shot first. Do you have the "Federal Trifecta" often needed to get in? Having police experience, armed forces experience, and a college degree can put you up a bit higher than those that don't have all of those three. Do you have any investigative experience? Some young guys and gals desire an 1811 slot, but once they start flying a desk, they sometimes desire traditional police work. Think long and hard before you change.

Comment

I'm with CBP. I have a degree, "LE," and while I have some military it's only reserve time with no added vet points, so I'm not sure how much that'll even help. I have considered waiting it out for the 1811's in the off chance I get lucky and land one, but if I don't I'm right back where I started.

Two options I've been considering are: just sticking it out with the Feds and pursue a traditional LE career after retirement (I'll retire at 43) or purse one now and if I am fortunate enough to pick up an 1811 position, make that decision when that time comes. If I don't, I'll hopefully be at an agency that I enjoy working for.

Iowa, do the people you know seem satisfied with their decision to leave?

Comment

I'm with CBP

Find a local department and leave asap. CBP is a horrible outfit to work for.

Comment

Originally posted by lilcol View Post

Iowa, do the people you know seem satisfied with their decision to leave?
            EVERY one of them
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm an 1811 who had the opportunity to go back to my state police job and didn't. Huge regret leaving in the first place. I don't care which Federal agency you work for, including 1811 positions; working the road was the best job I ever had. Go for it and don't look back.

Comment

Originally posted by lilcol View Post
                pursue a traditional LE career after retirement (I'll retire at 43)
                I don't think you can retire at age 43 - unless you were hired at age 18.

A FLEO can retire at age 50 with 20 years of FLE service or can retire at any age with 25 years of FLE service.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Yeah you're right, my mistake. Well that should help make the decision a little easier.

Thanks for straightening it out for me!

Comment

I started my career as a BPA. NOT traditional LE. Made the switch to Police Officer a year later due to a family situation. Best decision. It gave me the experience necessary to further pursue my current position as a Trooper. I never regretted leaving the Feds.

Comment

I can only speak for myself, so here it goes. I began my LEO career as a Local PO. I became an FTO and later a Detective. After several years, I went Fed LEO. Did a few years, and due to family circumstances, I went back to Local PD as a Deputy Sheriff. Well...it only lasted a year and I went back to the Feds, quick and in a hurry. I am on the older side and I had been a Local Officer for a while, so it's different. I was done with the running and gunning, and I really missed the checks. If you are young and really feel the urge to work as a Police Officer or Deputy Sheriff, by all means, there is no job like it. I do, however, caution you about the "humongous" pay cut you will face. I went from living large, to barely being able to pay my bills. I am a prime example of experiencing "The grass is not always greener". Think about it, get your family involved and whatever you think will make you happy will be your best decision. There is nothing worst in life than getting up to go do something you don't want to do.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice.. it's good to hear from people you have been there and done that. I'd say the one thing I learned from my current job is that money is nice, but it's not everything and does not always lead to happiness. Being young and single with only a few bills, I like to think that if I were to jump ship there wouldn't be a better time.

BoricuaLEO-- couldn't agree more with your last statement!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5503 users online. 312 members and 5191 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X