300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Question/Concern

Good morning to everyone. I'm in the process of applying for a police academy for self sponsor and have a question concerning my background. 10 years ago when I was 18 I drove four friends to a party. After dropping them off I went to a gas station and attempted to use a fake ID to buy beer. The cashier called the police and I was subsequently pulled over while driving a short time later. As soon as the officer made contact with me I apologized and told him that I was the person they had gotten the call about. I then gave him a written statement about the incident. While I was writing my narrative they searched my car and found a marijuana pipe and two empty baggies that had previously contained marijuana in the backseat where my passengers were located. I was then issued two civil ordinance violations for the fake ID and the pipe (the state where this occurred classifies both offenses as non-criminal civil ordinance violations). I clearly had the wrong friends that summer and have smoked marijuana a total of 10 times in my life which were all that summer.

Since that incident I have obtained a bachelors degree in criminal justice and a masters degree in criminal justice administration. In addition I worked as a retail crimes area investigator for three major companies.

I am submitting copies of the police narrative and the district court paperwork from that incident along with my academy application. Given that it was 10 years ago and I am being upfront about everything how much trouble will this give me? I should mention I have previously passed a pretesting CVSA regarding this incident. Thank you for your help/comments.

I don't see any real problems with your background......................you are going to be quizzed on the incident and it will be a hiccup
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

At least it was 10 YEARS ago, and not 10 weeks or 10 months ago like most people that come here. Hell or 10 minutes ago.
      "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
      -Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by BaylorBearSW View Post
        At least it was 10 YEARS ago, and not 10 weeks or 10 months ago like most people that come here. Hell or 10 minutes ago.
        Yeah I've read some of the stories people tell on here like " I want to be a trooper in my state and only have 10 tickets in the last year, I have a good chance right?"

I value the insight given on this forum. I married into a LEO family and have had the "bug" for many years to apply but wanted to give enough time between the incident and applying.

Comment

As is usually the case, my colleagues have rendered some excellent advice. Let's do the marijuana. Ten times pushes the tolerance/experimentation level of many agencies. Past that, the fact that it's been ten years since these lapses in judgement have occurred, that you've built a solid record of academic achievement and citizenship, should work to your advantage.

Obviously, when you apply, be honest and forthcoming concerning these incidents. You may have a shot. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            I don't see any real problems with your background......................you are going to be quizzed on the incident and it will be a hiccup
            This

Comment

I was half expecting this post to go something like, "Hey guys, I'm pulled over right now and the cop just found the weed in my car... I can still be the po-lice right?"

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
                I was half expecting this post to go something like, "Hey guys, I'm pulled over right now and the cop just found the weed in my car... I can still be the po-lice right?"
                I totally told him I was gonna apply to be a cop when I got around to going by the police station too, and he STILL didn't cut me a break!

AND, he wasn't even wearing his hat! That means it doesn't count right????

Comment

Just try and see what happens 10 years is a long time ago. I heard a bunch of no's then someone said yes.
                  My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

I think you're ok. At least in my dept.
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4210 users online. 205 members and 4005 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X