Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BYOG (Bring Your Own Gun)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BYOG (Bring Your Own Gun)

    I have posted this in the academy forum but realized it is probably a question better suited for LE professionals who have already been through the academy.....

    I am starting the police academy at my local community college. They teach there firearms lessons with the glock platform. My understanding is that they allow you a choice between 9mm or .40s&w.

    That being said does anyone think that there will be a problem with my taking my own glock. It chambers .45ACP but that is because the department I will be working for requires there officers to carry .45.

    Obviously the range master will want to inspect the firearm for integrity but it is brand new, I purchased it as a duty weapon, so besides that can anyone think of why I wouldn't be able to train with my own glock??

  • #2
    The fact that "they allow a choice between 9mm or .40s&w" should be a clue that YES, there may be a problem with you taking your own glock. The most obvious problem I could see is that the academy may only stock 9mm and .40. So if you shot .45, you would have to supply all of your own ammo. That could get seriously expensive. On an average week I went through maybe 100 to 200 rounds. But on some weeks we did nothing but firearms, and we went through several thousand rounds.

    I guess it doesn't hurt to ask when you get there.

    Comment


    • #3
      As a prospective Police Officer you should know how to gather information. Your question is best asked of the academy staff. I would suggest you ask them as opposed to asking this forum. We are sharp, we are intuitive, we are knowledgeable, but in this instance we'd be guessing.

      Once more, ask the academy staff.

      Comment


      • #4
        No one will know the answer to that question except the academy personnel.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

        Comment


        • #5
          If you're affiliated, the agency should provide the ammo.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

          Comment


          • #6
            I bought my own firearm because it was what I wanted to carry on-duty (and was department approved). But I did have to buy 1,200 rounds of my own ammunition for academy because of it. It was a pretty penny. My suggestion is if your department is going to provide your ammo (or the academy does) then do that, and qualify with your other firearm later. It takes a whole lot less bullets that way. I would imagine you have to do that as standard procedure anyway if the academy shoots 9/.40 but you have to carry 45. As the prevailing wisdom goes, just ask your department.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by upandcomming View Post
              I have posted this in the academy forum but realized it is probably a question better suited for LE professionals who have already been through the academy.....

              I am starting the police academy at my local community college. They teach there firearms lessons with the glock platform. My understanding is that they allow you a choice between 9mm or .40s&w.

              That being said does anyone think that there will be a problem with my taking my own glock. It chambers .45ACP but that is because the department I will be working for requires there officers to carry .45.

              Obviously the range master will want to inspect the firearm for integrity but it is brand new, I purchased it as a duty weapon, so besides that can anyone think of why I wouldn't be able to train with my own glock??
              I believe there will be a problem if you deliberately violate academy rules/policies. One thing you have to learn is that departments have policies and violating one policy can get you terminated. You do not want to be the guy at the academy who stands out for the wrong reasons. My advice is to follow the rules/policies of the academy. While in the academy, work your a** off, don't get caught up in any drama and concentrate on graduating. Good luck.

              Stay safe.
              Last edited by Country_Jim; 09-30-2014, 10:54 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Before posting this yesterday I tried to call my academy coordinator who is out of town on a hunting trip, and wont be back for a few weeks...
                Today I will try and talk to someone else who can hopefully suplly me with an answer!!
                Thanks guys!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by upandcomming View Post
                  Before posting this yesterday I tried to call my academy coordinator who is out of town on a hunting trip, and wont be back for a few weeks...
                  Today I will try and talk to someone else who can hopefully suplly me with an answer!!
                  Thanks guys!
                  He's off for a few weeks? Are you sure we're talking police academy and not fire academy?

                  I jest, I jest.

                  ... kind of.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
                    He's off for a few weeks? Are you sure we're talking police academy and not fire academy?

                    I jest, I jest.

                    ... kind of.
                    I think its police, he didn't say anything about naps in his original post.

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 3169 users online. 154 members and 3015 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X