NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

How common is it that PHS ask different questions?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benos4752
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2014

How common is it that PHS ask different questions?

Sorry for the long first post.

I applied for a local sheriff agency back in 2009. I ended up failing selection because I was unable to make a date for a test and was out of town in an area with no cellphone reception and missed the call for a reschedule. After that and losing a job, at the prodding of my parents who do not like the idea of me being in any job with a gun, decided to go to college. I am looking at applying for the CHP in November when they have their next testing and then a few other agencies. Looking at the CHP PHS packet which they have online, I do not remember a couple of the questions from the sheriff departments PHS.

I cannot remember either question, whether it was in that packet or, if it was, how I answered. While I have no automatic DQs, I don't have a perfect record and know that up against someone with one, I have an uphill battle at best. The last thing that I want to do is get DQed for any inconsistencies.

The first question is Have you ever...F. Contributing to the delinquency of a minor (including purchasing or providing alcohol to anyone under the age of 21). Answer is yes; (note, I was 21 for first one, 22 for second two)

First time - Approximately September 2008. Went camping with friend (name omitted), who had just turned 19. Bought beer for myself. Did not stop her from grabbing a bottle from the cooler and drinking half of a beer.

Second time - (name omitted, same as above) again, early 2009, February maybe. Went to my grandparent's house in Tahoe. Did not buy alcohol or pour drinks, but alcohol was at the house and I did not stop her from making herself a bloody marry.

Third time - July 4th, 2009. At grandparent's house in Tahoe again with (name omitted). My grandfather made her a margarita and I did not do anything to prevent this besides telling my grandfather that she was only 19.

I have no intention of hiding any of these, I just do not remember how I answered it previously, if it was on there;I'm sitting here thinking "Did I include the third time? I wasn't the one who supplied it..." I do not want to get DQed because I include something now I didn't last time because I did not think it counted, or vice versa.

Second question, "18. Do you have any relatives and/or friends who are or have been incarcerated?" A, what counts as incarcerated? I found out a few months ago that about 40-45 years ago, my father was drunk and got in a fight with a cop, he was arrested and spent a few hours in the drunk tank until my Great Grandfather, who was a constable came and got him, he never served time, just community service. I do not think that that would count, but want to be sure. B, If it counts and I write it down, am I going to get the chance to explain that I only recently learned of this if the BI looks at the sheriff departments records and sees that it was there and I answered no?

I know I am getting ahead of myself since testing won't be until November, but honestly (not to sound too full of myself) I am not worried about the written or physical tests, just the oral board and the background. As said, I'm not perfect. But I am okay with being DQed because a stupid choice in my past, I am not okay being non-selected or DQed if it is because I made a bad choice in the past. I am not okay with being DQed because of an inconsistency from forgetting what I wrote on a form five years ago.

Thank You

PS Can agencies release records to individuals? I know they cannot release results of their investigations, but can I request and receive copies of the forms that I filled out myself (assuming they still have the forms available).
  • Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran
    • Aug 2007

Each agency is free to ask the questions they wish to ask on any of the forms.

While certain states might have standard questions------------it doesn't mean they are the only ones to be asked
    I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• PhilipCal
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2004

You seem to have some alcohol related problems. With these, as with any PHS questions , you respond truthfully. It really is that simple.

Comment

• ArmyVet
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2013

You can be 100% sure that you're consistent if you tell the truth. If you have "no intention of hiding any of these," then what does it matter what was asked on the last packet you filled out? Answer the questions as asked.
        "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

• Country_Jim
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by benos4752
          Sorry for the long first post.

I applied for a local sheriff agency back in 2009. I ended up failing selection because I was unable to make a date for a test and was out of town in an area with no cellphone reception and missed the call for a reschedule. After that and losing a job, at the prodding of my parents who do not like the idea of me being in any job with a gun, decided to go to college. I am looking at applying for the CHP in November when they have their next testing and then a few other agencies. Looking at the CHP PHS packet which they have online, I do not remember a couple of the questions from the sheriff departments PHS.

I cannot remember either question, whether it was in that packet or, if it was, how I answered. While I have no automatic DQs, I don't have a perfect record and know that up against someone with one, I have an uphill battle at best. The last thing that I want to do is get DQed for any inconsistencies.

The first question is Have you ever...F. Contributing to the delinquency of a minor (including purchasing or providing alcohol to anyone under the age of 21). Answer is yes; (note, I was 21 for first one, 22 for second two)

First time - Approximately September 2008. Went camping with friend (name omitted), who had just turned 19. Bought beer for myself. Did not stop her from grabbing a bottle from the cooler and drinking half of a beer.

Second time - (name omitted, same as above) again, early 2009, February maybe. Went to my grandparent's house in Tahoe. Did not buy alcohol or pour drinks, but alcohol was at the house and I did not stop her from making herself a bloody marry.

Third time - July 4th, 2009. At grandparent's house in Tahoe again with (name omitted). My grandfather made her a margarita and I did not do anything to prevent this besides telling my grandfather that she was only 19.

I have no intention of hiding any of these, I just do not remember how I answered it previously, if it was on there;I'm sitting here thinking "Did I include the third time? I wasn't the one who supplied it..." I do not want to get DQed because I include something now I didn't last time because I did not think it counted, or vice versa.

Second question, "18. Do you have any relatives and/or friends who are or have been incarcerated?" A, what counts as incarcerated? I found out a few months ago that about 40-45 years ago, my father was drunk and got in a fight with a cop, he was arrested and spent a few hours in the drunk tank until my Great Grandfather, who was a constable came and got him, he never served time, just community service. I do not think that that would count, but want to be sure. B, If it counts and I write it down, am I going to get the chance to explain that I only recently learned of this if the BI looks at the sheriff departments records and sees that it was there and I answered no?

I know I am getting ahead of myself since testing won't be until November, but honestly (not to sound too full of myself) I am not worried about the written or physical tests, just the oral board and the background. As said, I'm not perfect. But I am okay with being DQed because a stupid choice in my past, I am not okay being non-selected or DQed if it is because I made a bad choice in the past. I am not okay with being DQed because of an inconsistency from forgetting what I wrote on a form five years ago.

Thank You

PS Can agencies release records to individuals? I know they cannot release results of their investigations, but can I request and receive copies of the forms that I filled out myself (assuming they still have the forms available).
          All of the above can be summarized into one sentence. "I'm not sure what lies I told on my last background packet."

Comment

• Lady Blue
            Bitch With A Badge
            • Nov 2013

Well Country_Jim got right to the point there.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

• benos4752
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Country_Jim
              All of the above can be summarized into one sentence. "I'm not sure what lies I told on my last background packet."
              Yes. I lied and am trying to hide it. Hence why I came and posted it on a public forum using the exact same username I use for every forum site that I post on.

To everyone else, thank you for answering my questions/offering any advice even if not in its entirety. As I am collecting information for this time around, I realized why the question is not something that I remember, because my dates are wrong. I applied in summer of 2008, not summer of 2009. I am trying to juggle many things at once and was going off memory alone, not looking at old documents or anything else.

Edit to Country_Jim: Sorry if my response to you sounds snarky or disrespectful. I know that this forum deals with a wide range of people, some of which are liars and you had no way to know that this is the same username I use for all forums. Just took a wee bit of offense. I am a faceless person on an internet forum, you have no reason to trust me, but I also have no wish to lie or for it to even look like I'm lying, which is why I am so willing to post things on a public forum where they can easily be found.
              Last edited by benos4752; 09-30-2014, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Country_Jim
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2014

Yes. I lied and am trying to hide it. Hence why I came and posted it on a public forum using the exact same username I use for every forum site that I post on.

To everyone else, thank you for answering my questions/offering any advice even if not in its entirety. As I am collecting information for this time around, I realized why the question is not something that I remember, because my dates are wrong. I applied in summer of 2008, not summer of 2009. I am trying to juggle many things at once and was going off memory alone, not looking at old documents or anything else.

Edit to Country_Jim: Sorry if my response to you sounds snarky or disrespectful. I know that this forum deals with a wide range of people, some of which are liars and you had no way to know that this is the same username I use for all forums. Just took a wee bit of offense. I am a faceless person on an internet forum, you have no reason to trust me, but I also have no wish to lie or for it to even look like I'm lying, which is why I am so willing to post things on a public forum where they can easily be found.
                No need to apologize. Your background investigator will probably see your posts and make his/her own assumptions about your honesty or lack of. Of course it could just be your history of drinking with underage females that gets you disqualified.

If you somehow make it into LE I would suggest growing thick skin (if you don't you won't make it to retirement).

Stay safe.
                Last edited by Country_Jim; 09-30-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• benos4752
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                  Of course it could just be your history of drinking with underage females that gets you disqualified.
                  Well, hope that that is not the case since it was seven years ago when I was 21 and my intention was never to supply. But if that's the case, so be it. Other than a minor traffic accident last year, I've had no blemishes on my record in five years (and according to who I talked to at the CHP, nothing I have is an automatic DQ) and since then I returned to college to get my bachelors and will be about done with graduate school when I test and have been working in education. I've matured a lot since then and have worked hard to keep my nose clean and not do stupid things. Hopefully that works in my favor. That being said, I am "fine" if choices from my past come back to bite me in the ***. I made them, I pay the price. Just don't want to be DQed because I do something stupid like fill paperwork out wrong.

I know the crux is to just be honest and let chips fall where they may and I intend to...I'm just over-analyzing things and was genuinely interested in variations between background packets.

Thank you for your advice and well-wishes.
                  Last edited by benos4752; 09-30-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                    Senior Veteran
                    • Aug 2007

Well, hope that that is not the case since it was seven years ago when I was 21 and my intention was never to supply. But if that's the case, so be it. .
                    The point is------------------you were 21, AKA an ADULT when those incidents happened.

The above highlighted passages are pure bull crap.

You knew she was underage and you didn't care----in fact you probably WANTED her to get intoxicated. If you go into a Law Enforcement interview situation and use those phrases and keep trying to mitigate your actions you are going to be laughed out of the building as they shred your paperwork
                    I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• benos4752
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      The point is------------------you were 21, AKA an ADULT when those incidents happened.

The above highlighted passages are pure bull crap.

You knew she was underage and you didn't care----in fact you probably WANTED her to get intoxicated. If you go into a Law Enforcement interview situation and use those phrases and keep trying to mitigate your actions you are going to be laughed out of the building as they shred your paperwork

Your points are appreciated. I'll definitely keep what you said in mind.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20229 users online. 59 members and 20170 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...