300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responding to a background inquiry

So I'm planning on applying to my local department next year when they are hiring again, but ironically I am here to ask a question about someone else's background investigation. I am a retail manager, in charge if about 40 people. Today I received a background questionnaire for a former employee of mine who is apparently applying for a LEO position. I terminated this employee for theft about 8 months ago. To me, this would be pretty cut and dry. I would simply fill the form out and check "YES" to illegal activity, discipline issues and terminated. In comments I would simply write, "Terminated for theft". However, I do work for a big corporation and it is policy to send any outside employment inquiries to Human Resources. I called HR and they told me in no uncertain terms that they nor I would reveal that this employee was terminated for theft. We would not be revealing that he was terminated at all and we would not be giving any indication as to whether we would rehire him. They told me that the company has a strict policy of providing only neutral references in all cases and that all we are allowed to say are dates of employment.

This kind if irks me, both as an LEO candidate myself and as the person who caught this guy stealing. Would I be crossing a line by contacting his background investigator myself and telling him what I know? What are the odds of it getting back to me at work if I did so? Would I be unnecessarily jeopardizing my own chances of landing a LEO job in the future by doing this (by possibly incurring a write-up from my bosses if they found out)?

Tough situation. But you have to do what's right. And you and only you know what's right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mueller77 View Post
      . However, I do work for a big corporation and it is policy to send any outside employment inquiries to Human Resources. I called HR and they told me in no uncertain terms that they nor I would reveal that this employee was terminated for theft. We would not be revealing that he was terminated at all and we would not be giving any indication as to whether we would rehire him. They told me that the company has a strict policy of providing only neutral references in all cases and that all we are allowed to say are dates of employment.
      That is the normal response from large national employers

SOME states only allow that type of answer........................It is what it is

Originally posted by Mueller77 View Post
      Would I be crossing a line by contacting his background investigator myself and telling him what I know? What are the odds of it getting back to me at work if I did so?
      You would be violating your current employers policy-----and violating their EXPRESS directions.

Think about that for a minute before you do that
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-23-2014, 09:31 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Janice112 View Post
        Tough situation. But you have to do what's right. And you and only you know what's right.

I don't believe you are an officer -----therefore you should NOT be answering in this part of the forum
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I don't believe you are an officer -----therefore you should NOT be answering in this part of the forum

Comment

That is a fairly common response from many businesses and public employers. When I got one of those responses I started looking for co-workers as references. I could usually find out a lot more from a co-worker anyway regardless what answers I got from employers. If you talk to enough co-workers you'll eventually find someone to give you straight info.
            183 FBINA

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              It doesn't matter, He never asked for this to be answered by an officer only did he?

As far as I know I can advice someone to do the right thing wether I am an officer or not!

Comment

It doesn't matter, He never asked for this to be answered by an officer only did he?

As far as I know I can advice someone to do the right thing wether I am an officer or not!

Not on this forum you can't. You're all about the rules, right? So set an example and follow the rules of this section. If you aren't a cop, don't respond here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
                  Not on this forum you can't. You're all about the rules, right? So set an example and follow the rules of this section. If you aren't a cop, don't respond here.
                  Try reading the rules of the forum before you show your ignorance .

The following statement is at the beginning of the ASK A COP section ----of which this is a sub forum

Looking for advice? Is there something you always wanted to ask a cop? Only LEOs should answer questions. Please see posting guidelines.
                  Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I understand this might be a cop thing but I don't see anything wrong by answering to someone and sharing my opinion. The only ignorant people here are the ones that get offended by a small thing like this.

Comment

I understand this might be a cop thing but I don't see anything wrong by answering to someone and sharing my opinion. The only ignorant people here are the ones that get offended by a small thing like this.
                      You
                      have been reported to the administration for failing to follow the Terms of Use of the forum.

Comment

Thank you.

Once more I was proven right and you showed your ignorance.

Comment

Janice, apparently you're having problems with the rules. They're really pretty simple, so even YOU should be able to abide by them. But, I've fixed your problem for you dumb-***, You'll soon be on the banned list.

Comment

I'm not having problems with anything. I had a question popped to my phone and responded without knowing it was for cops only. But y'all are so ignorant, that are bothered by this little and insignificant thing.

Comment

Y'all sound like a bunch of people that are bitter inside and I feel sorry for y'all. I guess some psych evaluation is needed for all of you because it's clear confidence issues are more than present.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3341 users online. 193 members and 3148 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X