300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be a DQ?

Greetings, I have always had been intrigued with LE. But I have a question that I would like feedback on. Especially from any Texas LE. I am currently in my 30's and when I was younger I have used THC and only THC products. I wont go into specifics about length of usage but lets just leave it at that. All of my usage was while I was living abroad though in Europe. I have been clean for some years now. But I would like know if this would be a DQ reason or not. I mean I'm quiet sure there are quite a few people have smoked a lil bud earlier in their lives before and still became Police officers too. Thank you in advance for all your replies. Don't judge me, leave it up to the board.

There may be a length of time that had to have surpassed without usage depending on the Department you wish to apply to. Check on it. Be honest about it, though.

Comment

DWinsRespect, Thank you for your reply, I have no reason to deny it. Its been a couple of years now since the last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurman14 View Post
        I wont go into specifics about length of usage but lets just leave it at that.
        The length of time as well as the frequency and number of times of usage would be needed to answer this question

All of my usage was while I was living abroad though in Europe..
        The place of usage has no bearing on the question

I mean I'm quiet sure there are quite a few people have smoked a lil bud earlier in their lives before and still became Police officers too
        the question of YOU using marijuana (and the length of time/amount of YOUR usage) is the question here, not what someone else at some other point in time has done
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Iowa #1603 Thanks for your reply. To be exact with the amount of times would be impossible, because it has been quite some time now since then. Some places in Europe its actually not illegal, and yes I have been there too. My point in that was that it wasn't in the USA. Yes I know that I am asking about me but im speaking in general with that statement.

I would like to get some comments from someone in DPS too.
          Last edited by Blurman14; 09-20-2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Iowa #1603 Thanks for your reply. To be exact with the amount of times would be impossible, because it has been quite some time now since then. Some places in Europe its actually not illegal, and yes I have been there too. My point in that was that it wasn't in the USA. Yes I know that I am asking about me but im speaking in general with that statement.

I would like to get some comments from someone in DPS too.
            It doesn't matter WHERE you used marijuana---------------------

Generally speaking if you have used marijuana more than 10-15 times (lifetime) MOST agencies will not consider you for hire

I am quite familiar with the hiring practices of the iowa DPS
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

It's entirely possible, no, make that probable, that your total number of times using THC would place you well beyond the tolerance policy of any agency to which you applied. The fact that you used the substance in venues where it is legal or tolerated, makes absolutely ZERO difference in a given department's decision to consider you for employment.

You err as well, when you compare yourselves to others who may have indulged in unlawful conduct and still been employed. You also err in attempting to dictate how this forum replies to you. We make that determination. What you are entitled to is the truth. This you have received.

Comment

Sidebar at no additional cost. You're toast with Iowa DPS. I'm retired from Alabama DPS. Our standards mirror one another. You'd DQ with either agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  The place of usage has no bearing on the question
                  Well, it might. If it was legal where he was at the time he's probably OK. US law doesn't extend to Europe.

The fact that you used the substance in venues where it is legal or tolerated, makes absolutely ZERO difference in a given department's decision to consider you for employment.
                  I wonder: If I drive the speed limit in Amsterdam will I be considered to be speeding in the US?

If I take an OTC medication in Mexico will I be arrested for not having a prescription from a US doctor?

I patronized the Red Light District in Frankfurt when I was stationed in Germany. Will I be arrested for soliciting prostitution here in the US?

I wonder if posessing a firearm in Colorado will get a British subject arrested when they go home?

IF legal behavior is considered disqualifying by a department I suspect engaging a lawyer may change that.

However, as others have said the answer is determined by where, when, how much and specific department policy.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 09-21-2014, 05:12 PM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

You're correct in your analysis with the following exception. This individual (OP) apparently is contemplating applying for a LE position in the U.S. In that instance, any conduct which could negatively impact his suitability would emerge as a detriment to his employment as a Police Officer.

That would certainly include any use of cannabis which would exceed a given department's established tolerance policies.

Comment

edited

Not worth the hassle
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-21-2014, 05:51 PM.

Comment

With the agencies in my area you might get hired with 3-5 usages and none within the last 3-5 years. DPS...based on the way you phrased you original statement, seems like it would be a pipe dream.

More than the usage, what troubles me is the fact that you justify it because it was legal where you were at the time. Lots of things are legal, but that still does not mean they are the smart thing to do.
                        In God We Trust
                        Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

If you cannot recall the amount of times you used, my guess would be you will considered over the threshold of an agency willing to take a chance on you. You say that you are quite sure police officers have smoked and became officers. How do you know unless u personally know a few? I will reiterate and say it doesnt matter where u used, the fact remains you used quite alot and it will be very difficult for you to be considered.
                          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Don't mean to side-track the thread here, but this situation makes me wonder how Washington and Colorado law enforcement agencies are handling marijuana use by current or potential officers now.... same as alcohol, or still a no-no for officers becuase of the potential federal law violation? Would a Colorado resident who had used Marijuana within the states's legal guidelines be subject to disqualification in Colorado as well as other states? If a current officer in Washington started using marijuana within the state's legal guidelines would they be terminated?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Prof View Post
                              Don't mean to side-track the thread here, but this situation makes me wonder how Washington and Colorado law enforcement agencies are handling marijuana use by current or potential officers now.... same as alcohol, or still a no-no for officers becuase of the potential federal law violation? Would a Colorado resident who had used Marijuana within the states's legal guidelines be subject to disqualification in Colorado as well as other states? If a current officer in Washington started using marijuana within the state's legal guidelines would they be terminated?
                              The way administrators that I have talked to (in Iowa) are thinking------They are considering it a violation of federal law no matter what the state law states.

My sheriff has stated that he could care less what Colorado says, a marijuana user would be terminated for violating Federal Law.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4981 users online. 288 members and 4693 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X