300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about hiring

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. So recently I decided I would like employment as a police officer, I started some online searching and saw that a lot of departments require 60 college credits or 2 years military service with honrable discharge . I'm 21 and haven't started college yet, I'm going to but would hate to wait 2 years for the job.

Anyway I'm from Philadelphia and was wondering if there are any places that do not require the credits. I heard that there were, but honestly not sure...

You do some research to determine which agencies require only a HS diploma or a GED. As you're discovering, many agencies are now requiring college hours or even degrees. That being the case, it would seem to be up to you to prepare yourself to be a competitive applicant.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsonn View Post
      , I'm going to but would hate to wait 2 years for the job.
      Right now NATIONWIDE it is AVERAGING 2-5 yrs and 10+ application cycles to get hired in Law Enforcement

That is AVERAGE----You would have to be "super special) to break the average- And from your above post you have no special qualities that would cause you to by-pass the law of averages
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Has diploma is the MINIMUM. Why would they look at you over college/military?
        Stop being lazy and go to school.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Just to give you a little insight since I was hired recently. I have a 4 year degree AND 6 years active duty including combat tours. I still wasn't the first on the list to get hired. That's how competitive it in this world.

Comment

Yes, there are depts that don't require any college. We are one of them, but we haven't hired anyone without a degree in quite a long time.

Comment

None of these departments require college or military: Baltimore City Police, Prince George's County Police, Fairfax Police, Metro Transit Police, just to name a few in the DC Metro area.

Comment

I have to tell you, I have yet to meet a 21-year-old (myself included, no matter what I thought at the time) who I think was really ready to be a police officer. I first applied for a LE job when I was 22, and honestly I'm really glad I didn't get one until a few years later. Even if you're the most mature 21 year old in the world, most departments--regardless of credit requirements--are going to be looking for someone a little older. Might as well get a degree while you wait.

Comment

Atlanta PD
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I have a BA, military, and most impoartant, a clean background. I started applying at 21 when I graduated college because I did several interships and spoke with officers who started at 18 and 19, and had to have their parents buy ammo, not realizing it was a very different time back them.

I didn't get hired until I was 24, and had applied to 20+ departments, some more than once. After getting hired and being on the "inside", I learned many of the departments I was applying to wanted applicants who were "established" (i.e. married, kids, etc...) because they usually stay longer because of their circumstances. I am 27 now, working on my masters degree, have my intermediate police officer certificate, have some advanced training courses, and some specialized training, and I still get non selected for departmets.

So, I say at that to say, it's not impossible to get hired at 21 with just a HS Diploma, but you may not like where you work since it will probably be one of the places that can't find applicants for one reason or another. And your in Pennsylvania, which I hear is pretty tough to get into LE.
                    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
                    -Sun Tzu

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3594 users online. 179 members and 3415 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X