300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks and the hiring process

How much does someone's looks play a role in getting hired?

Do departments generally only hire good looking people?

Pretty general question. We're not looking for movie stars or pageant contestants, but good grooming, dressing appropriately, demeanor, all go a long way, and are positives.

Comment

I've met a whole lot of cops that ain't pretty to look at (myself included!) but they look professional. That's what matters.

Comment

The guy with gauges through his ears and nose with FTW tattooed on his forehead is NOT going to get hired
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^^^this^^^
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
            If you mean attractive, no... I got hired.

If you mean well groomed, well dressed, etc... then yes. A tidy personal appearance reflects self-discipline and an orderly mind.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Neat, well-dressed, groomed...these are all things are all things that are plusses.
              In God We Trust
              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

When I interviewed candidates, the females that were selected for some reason were all very attractive.
                Retired

Comment

Similar question, possibly a silly one. In the academy we got a note about making sure your fingernails are neat and trimmed... I have an awful habit of biting my nails... how bad would that really effect getting hired if I'm squared away in other regards?

Comment

If I posted a video of myself, "good looking" is not what would be used to describe me. What you would notice is someone with a neat haircut, clean shaven face, good posture, a decent physique, and someone who is well spoken and generally professional in appearance. I make sure my uniform is ironed and wrinkle free, my sleeves are crisp, the pleats on my pants could cut paper, my brass is shiny, and my boots are clean.

I have actually been told by arrestee's before that they didn't put up a fight because I "didn't look like I was f'ing around". Another thing you'd notice is that I'm not the biggest guy, either. Appearance goes a long way in this job.

Comment

look like a slob, get treated as one.... look professional, get treated as one.
                      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
                        How much does someone's looks play a role in getting hired?

Yea looks are really important in cop work. My department was ranked 15th out of the country in looks for police departments by playboy. It doesn't matter how you do the job it only matters how you look while doing the job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5776 users online. 304 members and 5472 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X