Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people generally bring with them to the oral board interview?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people generally bring with them to the oral board interview?

I have prepared solid responses to the most likely questions at the O.B.. While I certainly do not want to read those responses back at the interview, I think I might benefit from a basic outline of points that I wish to touch on while talking. I will be prepared to function well without an outline, but perhaps the board will appreciate the preparation?

I am interested in your opinions/experiences on whether or not this would be looked at as a positive or a negative?

Also, do you normally sit close enough to the board members that they would be able to read my notes? I was planning to quickly scribble down their names and ranks so that I can address them properly when I am speaking/closing but I don't really want them seeing that I have done that.

I have heard people say that they brought a note pad and wrote down the parts of multi-part questions so that they didn't miss anything when responding -- is this common?

Thank you!

Bring yourself.

Nothing else---------------------if you need notes or an outline, you will most likely be found "wanting"
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That is pretty much the direction my thoughts were headed. Thank you for the confirmation Iowa -- much appreciated!

Comment

You would fail our oral boards reading notecards or writing things down.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Bring your ID and your best dressed self.

Comment

Do not bring anything you are not specifically asked to bring.

Unsolicited items like resumes, letters of recommendation, diplomas, certificates, transcripts, commendations, etc., are usually handed back to you or go in the trash.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Here's what I suggest you do. Go back and read the replies of my colleagues. You could have paid dump trucks full of money to some

consultant, an still not got better advice. The Board wants to talk to you, NOT your notes, talking points, resume's and crap like that.

Were you to appear before a board on which I was a member, and you brought ANY of the crap you referenced, you'd be toast as far as I was concerned. Now, all of that said, follow the advice of my colleagues, and best of luck to you.

Comment

Do you have a military uniform that you can hang a bunch of medals, awards, or pins on? You don't have to have actually earned them. They more they see the better. If you were never in the military something like TGI Fridays uniform with a lot of "flare" will do the same thing.

Also you likely aren't the first interview and it's human nature to get hungry or tired during these things. I would also bring coffee's and maybe a baked good like a box of doughnuts.

Does your state allow Open Carry? If so I would do a shoulder rig to show that are ready for a detective gig. Research your states laws though because sometimes it's illegal to have a gun in certain locations.

I always brought a reference or two with me to sit as "counsel" so to speak. That way if you get off track they can slow you down or clarify something if the panels wants more direct information.

Lastly I suggest being 10 minutes late. That's right...ten minutes. You do not want to be early and appear desperate because they may think you are being fake or trying to hard.

Good luck.

Comment

Yourself, dressed in a conservative business suit; and nothing flashy or that "screams". Maybe get trimmed up top if it's looking straggly. Skip the cologne, too.

Comment

Bring a good attitude! be well dressed and well groomed. anything else should have been submitted with your background packet.
                    sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                      You would fail our oral boards reading notecards or writing things down.
                      would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for one of those!
                      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by WoodCo.Explorer View Post
                        Yourself, dressed in a conservative business suit; and nothing flashy or that "screams". Maybe get trimmed up top if it's looking straggly. Skip the cologne, too.
                        This and me personally I brought 6 copies of my resume with me. I brought them just to show I was prepared in case they asked me for them, but they didn't.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4033 users online. 253 members and 3780 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X