300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Interview and Polygraph

A few days ago I had my background interview and everything went great, I passed it, and didn't lie about anything. So theoretically, if a polygraph is only another step in the process and its sole purpose is to see if I lied on the background interview then I will pass that no problem.
    During my background interview he was asking me questions, some harder to answer, some easier. One of the questions was "Have you ever cheated on a test?" I answered yes, and explained in college I would google test answers if it was an online test. So he wrote it down and moved on to the next question and asked it. Now thinking about him asking this question, I also cheated one time in my high school Spanish class, will I have an opportunity to tell the polygraph examiner this? Also when he asked me if I ever stole anything I answered yes, and described a time when I was young and took gum then my mom made me put it back. Just now I also remembered I should have said I downloaded music from youtube, I think this is stealing, but it just didn't even cross my mind at the time at all!!

So my first question is, do I get an opportunity to go more in depth and explain more of these two questions before I take my polygraph?
    Also do I have the opportunity to say anything I remembered after I left? It sounds so bad, but theres 2 or 3 things (that I mentioned above) that never even crossed my mind during the interview. I just don't want it to hurt me because by no means am I purposely trying to be dishonest.

Lastly, I have been reading what a lot of people are saying about polygraphs and how they were DQ'd and didn't lie and their answers didn't differ from their background. At first I wasn't nervous at all because really all I do is tell the truth and I'm good. Pretty much the easiest part of the whole process!
    Except now I have been reading what people have been writing, and they pretty much think this thing is as useful as shaking an eight ball and asking it if I'm lying.
    I am still going to stick to my strategy, TELL THE TRUTH, but this just worries me now..
    Last edited by Molon_Labe; 10-20-2014, 10:01 PM.
    "Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing." - Frogman Ballad

Originally posted by Molon_Labe View Post
    So theoretically, if a polygraph is only another step in the process and its sole purpose is to see if I lied on the background interview then I will pass that no problem. .
    That is not the sole purpose of the polygraph

So my first question is, do I get an opportunity to go more in depth and explain more of these two questions before I take my polygraph?
    You will have a LOT of opportunity to explain and go into depth with your polygraph examiner. He will have MANY questions to ask you and ALL of them will be explained so you can answer either yes or no.

Lastly, I have been reading what a lot of people are saying about polygraphs and how they were DQ'd and didn't lie and their answers didn't differ from their background. At first I wasn't nervous at all because really all I do is tell the truth and I'm good. Pretty much the easiest part of the whole process!
    Except now I have been reading what people have been writing, and they pretty much think this thing is as useful as shaking an eight ball and asking it if I'm lying.
    It doesn't really matter what YOU, I , or the Man In the Moon thinks of polygraphs.------They are a fact of life in many Law Enforcement hiring processes and what really does matter is what the hiring authority thinks of them.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-13-2014, 06:57 AM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Okay. Good! I've been stressing a little bit about it because I don't want it to seem like I left out that information of purpose.

What are the other purposes of the polygraph? Other than trying to see if you are lying about your background. Do they make up new questions to ask about me?

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      It doesn't really matter what YOU, I , or the Man In the Moon thinks of polygraphs.------They are a fact of life in many Law Enforcement hiring processes and what really does matter is what the hiring authority thinks of them.
      Yes sir, I know it does not matter and I've accepted that a long time ago. I'm only saying, it is making me more nervous after reading what some people are saying about the polygraph.

Comment

What are the other purposes of the polygraph?.
        They are an integral part of the investigative process (for most agencies that use them in the hiring process.)
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The examiner will usually have you fill out their own packet or questionnaire that they refer from. They will also go over everything in detail with you before the test to ensure you know exactly what is expected.

In regards to stealing items, most examiners will ask you if you have stolen anything of significant value, so the extra cheeseburger and the gum probably aren't of his concerns.

There are a few different styles of polygraph tests, so don't read to much into what others have done. Just relax and you should do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
            The examiner will usually have you fill out their own packet or questionnaire that they refer from. They will also go over everything in detail with you before the test to ensure you know exactly what is expected.

In regards to stealing items, most examiners will ask you if you have stolen anything of significant value, so the extra cheeseburger and the gum probably aren't of his concerns.

There are a few different styles of polygraph tests, so don't read to much into what others have done. Just relax and you should do fine.
            Okay. Well I am glad I can clarify my answers in a little bit more detail. Thank you sir for your reply.

Comment

I has a similar situation where when first asked about something I told them everything I could think of and later thought of something else when I was reminded by a friend. When I went in for the polygraph I filled out the packet he had and then reviewed it in great detail with him. Pretty simple but as you are, I was very nervous because I had read all the horrible stuff online about the polygraph.

Just take a deep breath, be honest and you will be fine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4422 users online. 293 members and 4129 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X