300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campus PD oral board

I'm going to have my first university campus pd oral board, and was wondering, is there a difference between a campus pd and a city pd? If so, how should I prepare for a campus pd oral?

In theory there should not be any major differences. Having started out as a campus officer, I can state that it is a different world. The university administration tends to frown on pro-active police work. They like to pretend that their campus is a perfect little Utopia where nothing bad ever happens and if they had their way they would replace the gun in your holster with a Pez dispenser. As political as this job is with any agency, campus work is even more so.
    In God We Trust
    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I'm assuming I should prep on the campus laws more than the city's laws? Do you have any tips on how I can prep for my oral board?

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/t193454/

In my state the campus police for the State Universities are state certified peace officers..............know the state laws.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
          I'm assuming I should prep on the campus laws more than the city's laws? Do you have any tips on how I can prep for my oral board?
          There is no such thing as campus laws. Some colleges expect their police to be the police while others prefer they do not, so there is no generic right answer. When I worked for a state university, we were very proactive and I was personally told by the VP that students are adults, and when adults break the law they get arrested (and we arrested lots of them). We never heard a word from the administration for doing our job, which is obviously a very different experience than Lady Blue had.

Go in and be yourself; you don't want to be offered a job because you pretended to be something you are not. Universities value public relations and the understanding that the students as well the physical space itself are your charges, so you will respond to security alarms, fire alarms, etc. as part of your duties. You are there to help serve and further the mission of the university. How you are expected to do that is up the the Pres, VPs, and Board of Trustees.

Comment

Thanks Iowa, and definitely joe. I am always honest with my answers no matter what

Comment

You've received some excellent replies. Take another look at each of them. Best of luck.

Comment

i will say that I have saw other campus PDs who are much more proactive than we were allowed to be. It does vary by institution of course.Whatever you do, be yourself. That was a great piece of advice that you were given. if you fake it, eventually it will catch up to you.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5641 users online. 334 members and 5307 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X