300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a Masters degree add to a application for a officer

Well, the title says it all. How many brownie points does it add to an application?

Thanks!

That would depend upon the field of study and the type of agency to which you are applying. In most places, you get a pay step up to a bachelors degree. Some places give you preference points which are added to your final score for a bachelors degree. It may help you a lot more when you are moving up in rank and trying to wear the gold.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

As far as for an APPLICANT.....a Masters usually means next to nothing.

It will help considerably for promotion.

Your mileage will vary depending on the agency.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It really depends on the agency. As has been noted, some depts provide extra or incentive pay based on your highest level of college obtained. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything with my dept. What I expect from someone with a graduate degree is the ability to effectively speak and express thought, to present themselves as a mature adult, the ability to write well, etc., all of which influence your score so, a good graduate school graduate will benefit from the skills they obtained while in graduate school even if the degree itself "doesn't count."

Comment

With most agencies in my state it might get you a fraction of a point extra on your oral board score, but it has noting to do with demonstrating your ability to actually ability to perform the duties of the position you are seeking.

There are no extra points for putting lipstick on a pig in this profession.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Little to none. Some PRACTICAL brownie points that will more likely be in your favor will be a well-rounded personality, good people skills, an effective way of communicating with your subordinates, and just plain common sense. I harp on this all the time, but what's your job history like? What experience can you bring to this agency that will benefit you as an officer and maybe your co-workers? Do you have an impressionable driving record? Do you have experience working as a sworn officer or even a reserve/auxiliary officer? It's great that you were able to obtain an advanced degree, but the degree alone will not earn you any "brownie points" against alllllll the other applicants with different backgrounds and experiences.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.

Prior military experience gives candidates a 5 point bonus on their test in my area. From reviewing prior test scores, the bonus puts them all at the top of the list. I want to gain an advantage on these candidates during the application process and was not sure if my level of education would be beneficial to me.

Any suggestions on ways to give myself an edge on candidates with prior military experience?

Comment

Enlist....
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by ATXLEO View Post
                  Any suggestions on ways to give myself an edge on candidates with prior military experience?
                  Wherever you test there is usually a printed exam announcement. Buried in the fine print of the exam announcement they usually tell you exactly what you will be tested on. Study up on those areas. The more correct answers you give to test questions, the higher your score. Applicants are usually hired in the order of their score (highest first, next highest second, etc.).
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    Wherever you test there is usually a printed exam announcement. Buried in the fine print of the exam announcement they usually tell you exactly what you will be tested on. Study up on those areas. The more correct answers you give to test questions, the higher your score. Applicants are usually hired in the order of their score (highest first, next highest second, etc.).
                    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    Enlist....
                    In addition to the above suggestions, buy the study-guide prior to testing. Brush up on your interview skills; if you get to that stage, your communication skills will set you apart (to one end or the other lol).

I took a civil service exam for a boiler operator (stationary engineer) position at a local university in 1990. I scored a 98 and thought I was a shoe-in for one of the three positions. When I got to the interview phase, I learned that there were eighteen applicants with a score of 101 or higher due to military points. It did not matter that I had my bachelors in a related field, three years experience, excellent communication skills and the shiniest shoes and best creases of any of the applicants.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.

Prior military experience gives candidates a 5 point bonus on their test in my area. From reviewing prior test scores, the bonus puts them all at the top of the list. I want to gain an advantage on these candidates during the application process and was not sure if my level of education would be beneficial to me.

To get a leg up on many ex military candidates you are going to have to score 105 (or 110 points for some disabled veterans) points on the test.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5488 users online. 376 members and 5112 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X