300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bachelor's Degree...yes or no?

I have my Associate's Degree currently and I wonder if I should pursue any further. Do most departments not just want 60 credits and an Associate's? I know I just meet the minimum but from community college I already am in 20,000 in debt. I do not receive financial aid as my mother makes too much

She makes 49K a year...and we are still struggling because NJ is expensive. As a matter of fact the average in our county is 51K so we are still struggling but FAFSA doesnt care.

The issue I have with getting a bachelor's is that even by staying in state I will be 70,000 in debt when I graduate and I STILL wont know if I'll be hired. I would be in the same boat as a guy with an Associate's

What do you think guys? Suck it up? Or try to find part time police somewhere? Or maybe be a volunteer Deputy Sheriff and have that experience to help get a full time job?

Thank you

As far as the Bachelor's degree question, it has been asked and answered multiple times over the last few weeks.

However, I have a question for you. If college is placing such a financial burden on your family, why are you not working full-time to help offset the costs?

The short answer to your question is that if you want to go up in your department, a bachelor's degree will only help improve your chances.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Thank you

Also I do work full time 40 hours a week Mon-Fri 8am-4pm for a Security company. They pay crap but better than nothing

But there is only so much I can do to help when it still falls flat

Comment

If you are in debt 20K for an Associate Degree, how does that equate to 70K for a Bachelor's Degree? Either choose a different school or take additional math courses.

Comment

What he said. Are you 20K in debt or 20K in debt because of your 2 year degree debt?

Comment

Do yourself and your family a favor and hold off on the 4 year degree so you can get back on track from the debt thing. If you have the opportunity to get on as a reserve or part time, do it. The experience will help tremendously, and it goes a long way; at least you have that associate's degree.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd_1980 View Post
              If you are in debt 20K for an Associate Degree, how does that equate to 70K for a Bachelor's Degree? Either choose a different school or take additional math courses.
              Cheapest I could find would be 8,000. 8,000 a semester for 12-19 credits. So if I need about 2.5 more years to go - 40,000
              8,000 + 8,000 + 8,000 + 8,000 = 4 semesters = 2 full years + half a year = 8,000 = 40,000
              Add that in with the Associate's and basically 60,000+ (because the interest rate most likely would have raised with the unsubsidized loan) coming out with a bachelor's degree, and still looking for a LE job...

Yes, the bachelor's degree sounds better on paper, but shouldn't I just go out for a department and then while I'm a police officer just get a bachelor's while I am an officer? That way I avoid tuition as well

60,000+ is ridiculous if I'll be one the same field as someone else who was with an Associate's Degree

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              What he said. Are you 20K in debt or 20K in debt because of your 2 year degree debt?
              20K in debt of my 2 year degree

Comment

If you're willing to move there are places that would hire you. You can also apply for jobs while taking classes. I don't think its an either/or type thing. You can do both simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by MCR1 View Post

Cheapest I could find would be 8,000. 8,000 a semester for 12-19 credits. So if I need about 2.5 more years to go - 40,000
                  8,000 + 8,000 + 8,000 + 8,000 = 4 semesters = 2 full years + half a year = 8,000 = 40,000
                  Add that in with the Associate's and basically 60,000+ (because the interest rate most likely would have raised with the unsubsidized loan) coming out with a bachelor's degree, and still looking for a LE job...

Yes, the bachelor's degree sounds better on paper, but shouldn't I just go out for a department and then while I'm a police officer just get a bachelor's while I am an officer? That way I avoid tuition as well

60,000+ is ridiculous if I'll be one the same field as someone else who was with an Associate's Degree

20K in debt of my 2 year degree
                  If that is going to be your logical argument------------------------I would forget the Bachelor's altogether and go get hired NOW
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    If that is going to be your logical argument------------------------I would forget the Bachelor's altogether and go get hired NOW
                    Thanks, I'll go at it
                    I'm still trying for a Reserve program or even Auxiliary Police in the meantime as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      I agree. If you pursue a bachelors at this rate, your grandchildren will be paying off your student loans.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                        I agree. If you pursue a bachelors at this rate, your grandchildren will be paying off your student loans.

Makes sense

I'll try and get hired by a department as soon as possible and then if I get hired I'll go to college part time and earn my bachelor's that way. I guess I'm a little too excited and just want to have a bachelor's at an early age and not take too long

Comment

You need to get better at finding colleges; you were screwed big time.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                            You need to get better at finding colleges; you were screwed big time.
                            It's the damn out of county tuition that added up 2,000+

When I was applying for my community college there was an apparent waiting list at the time for the courses I was going to take. I wanted to start school earlier so I decided to go out of county and just do it there and then go back to my county community college the semester after. What turns out was my credits from the out of county community college would not transfer over to the county community college I was near too...which is BS, and I had to stay there

Unfortunately it doubled up and it didn't help that we do not qualify for any financial aid...and yet we struggle for rent. Interesting...guess they don't bother to take in account the averages of the county or state. They just assume whoever makes above X amount of dollars doesn't qualify, which in fact is a load of bullchit

Comment

Originally posted by MCR1 View Post
                              Makes sense

I'll try and get hired by a department as soon as possible and then if I get hired I'll go to college part time and earn my bachelor's that way. I guess I'm a little too excited and just want to have a bachelor's at an early age and not take too long
                              When I was an enlisted man I thought a BS degree was magical, that's what was required to be am officer and officers walked on water. Once I got mine, I realized no light came shining from heaven, I didn't fell empowered with magical powers, life went on as normal.

The more formal education I receive the less I believe society should hold it as a measure of success, ability, or intelligence. I could talk about this for a while, but it would probably merit it's own thread.

I can speak from both sides. I've been "the guy" without a degree. It's funny because now I'm usually the one with the most formal education in just about any room I'm in. People think I've always been an "educated" man. Perceptions change, but they are just that, perceptions (unless you hold that perception = reality). One guy I work with got his PhD at 50. People kind of assume one has always been a doc, buy before 50, he was just a "regular" guy.

Point is graduating at a young age is a seems pretty cool, but over time you'll see that achieving that goal had little to no tangible benefit.

Get to work and go to school when the dept will foot some of the bill! Good luck :thumbup:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6253 users online. 332 members and 5921 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X