300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do some things help or hurt?

I have my B.A. in Criminal Justice and just joined the Navy, initially to be an EOD tec, but recently changed my mind to become an MA. Will being an MA actually help me get a job as a federal or local officer? I've heard people say military policing and regular policing are very different, and that some places will overlook former military police because they are "tainted" is there any truth behind that? id assume not but well we all know what happens when someone assumes...
    NYPD 1/11
    Test: 1313
    List: 7**
    apd5: completed
    Medical: completed
    Social Media: completed
    Written Psych: completed
    Investigative review
    Oral Psych:
    BI:
    JST:
    Mini-med:

are we there yet?

Originally posted by Dog Off Leash
    8. In god we trust. Everyone else we run NCIC.

For the most part it won't help nor will it hurt you.

The military service will be a plus
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

One thing is that most people have an idea what "military police" do... not so much the MA rating

Even those familiar with it may not know how the rating has developed over the last few years.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Had a couple MPs in my academy. Didn't seem to matter other than we had to hear a lot from them about how things are done "on post." Some interesting, some not. Certain TAC Officers may have been more annoyed than others.

Comment

EOD would have been a better rate. Much better pickings after ETS.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It doesn't make you a definite pick but it may push you up the list provided that you have a solid work history, no criminal record, clean driving record, and no bad marks from your service. A four degree will also bump you past those with just a two year or no degree to speak of. I'm a strong advocate for auxiliary/reserves. Scratch around for departments that are appealing to you that have an auxiliary section, that's how I started out before I got hired as a road officer. Even if it's just volunteer work and riding around with sworn officers/deputies, experience goes a long way. If I was the chief, I'm gonna be looking at the guy who paid his dues in the auxiliary who went the extra mile in donating his free time to learn about the career.

Comment

It doesn't matter as long as you get an Honorable D.

Comment

Honorable military service is always a plus. MOS doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jziems09 View Post
                  I have my B.A. in Criminal Justice and just joined the Navy, initially to be an EOD tec, but recently changed my mind to become an MA. Will being an MA actually help me get a job as a federal or local officer? I've heard people say military policing and regular policing are very different, and that some places will overlook former military police because they are "tainted" is there any truth behind that? id assume not but well we all know what happens when someone assumes...
                  I do not know which one better per say, but I do know a lot about Navy EOD and it would have been great to go into. Navy is the only branch who's EOD is considered "Special Operations" (so they work with the "cool guys") and they go through a lot more schooling than just EOD school. You would have been dive trained, tons of marksmanship training, possibly HALO or HAHO trained, and the biggest thing is you would know how to dispose of explosive ordnance. Which knowing how to diffuse and dispose of bombs would, in my opinion, make you a more marketable candidate than being an MA, something they will teach you no matter what (academy).
                  I am not a police officer, nor do I know which is better but if I were you and could get into EOD school and know you can pass (it is hard as hell) then do it.
                  When I was figuring out what college degree to get, the only advice I was ever told was to do anything other than criminal justice because I will learn it anyways. But to each his own. Good luck my friend and thank you for serving.
                  "Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing." - Frogman Ballad

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5439 users online. 310 members and 5129 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X