replied
    For Florida read this: https://sites.google.com/site/flaleohelp/home

Leave a comment:

• upandcomming
    Forum Member

• upandcomming
    replied
    Originally posted by eagleI View Post
    If you are already getting hired then what is the point of this thread?
    It isn't official. The problem is when I sit down for my interview with the patrol division commander, I don't want him to look at me like a joke.

Leave a comment:

• eagleI
    Forum Member

• eagleI
    replied
    Originally posted by upandcomming View Post
    Well I have already been accepted into the police academy and I am going to be getting hired in officially post academy. The higher ups are working on pushing my app through so that I have a conditional offer going into the academy. So the agency wouldn't be sponsoring me.
    If you are already getting hired then what is the point of this thread?

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    Shadowman

• CCCSD
    replied
    Family members in the same job mean ZERO to your ability to do the job. I actually work solo, thank God, but would still not want a teenager as a back up, nor would any of the 137 others I work with.

Leave a comment:

• Silentfaith
    Forum Member

• Silentfaith
    replied
    Looks like you've received a few good responses so far. I will say that it won't be easy for you to get hired at 19, (I got hired at 22/sponsored), however it's not impossible. My friend who was also a explorer for numerous years was hired at the agency I work for at the age of 19. Nobody on this website will be able to give you the answer you want because likely we don't work for the agency processing you, all anyone here can do is you give their opinion based on their experiences.

From my personal experience, some of my zone partners (15 years + experience) often call me kiddo, and there is no disrespect intended, I'm currently 23.

So again, it's not impossible, but don't feel like you're entitled because you were a explorer, and have family in law enforcement.

Good luck.
    Silentfaith
    Forum Member
    Last edited by Silentfaith; 09-06-2014, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    I agree. Th reason I talk about credit score is that many department run a credit report because they relate it to life experience and responsibility.
    They run a credit report to -----check your credit history. That is for how responsible you are ----NOTHING more

At the end of the day this is a less then admirable medium to have asked this question. It's impossible to get an accurate answer without you guys sitting down and meeting me. In the agency I explore with majority of the people I speak with assume I'm working for the agency because I do not look or act you enough to explore.
    No, you are wrong...................you are getting an accurate answer based on our collective experience.

There are hundreds of reasons why I have told you WHY I would not hire you at 19. I again stand by each and every one.

Yea you might come off as a mature person-------------but you are not. You are a teenager.

Side note, after my police academy interview, my academy coordinator asked how old I was. When she found out I was so young she became wide eyed, and asked to see my DL. After I asked what she estimated my age to be she stated about 22-23 based on looks, body language, mannerisms, and how I present and handle myself. She immediately asked the head of the the academy to come meet me. This is typically how old people believe I am.

Making my point it is impossible for you guys to see that In me online.
    Over the years I have interviewed several hundred if not a thousand or more applicants and/or new staff. Many of them gave a good interview and were hired only to turn to sugar when put on the agency and had to “perform”

Quite honestly-----I ate a lot of new staff (or had them shoved down my throat) when I reccommended them for hire and they failed to make the grade.

Once again--------------I remind you that YOU asked the question and I pretty much told you that you were NOT going to like the answers you were going to receive on this forum.

Your post have shown some of that immaturity that I talk about-----most of us that have answered on the thread have alluded to what I am talking about there. You are kind of proving our point.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• upandcomming
    Forum Member

• upandcomming
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I want a partner who is mature enough to make solid decisions and who has life experience. I could care less about his/her credit score, or his/her "passion".......I want someone who has his/her crap together and is smart enough to pull my bacon out of the fire if necessary.

There are damn few 18, 19, or 20 yr olds ANYWHERE that I would trust to do that
    I agree. Th reason I talk about credit score is that many department run a credit report because they relate it to life experience and responsibility. At the end of the day this is a less then admirable medium to have asked this question. It's impossible to get an accurate answer without you guys sitting down and meeting me. In the agency I explore with majority of the people I speak with assume I'm working for the agency because I do not look or act you enough to explore.

Side note, after my police academy interview, my academy coordinator asked how old I was. When she found out I was so young she became wide eyed, and asked to see my DL. After I asked what she estimated my age to be she stated about 22-23 based on looks, body language, mannerisms, and how I present and handle myself. She immediately asked the head of the the academy to come meet me. This is typically how old people believe I am.

Making my point it is impossible for you guys to see that In me online.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    So I pose the question to each and every one of you, would you rather have a passionate young body back you up, or someone who worked as a restaurant manager, with "life experience" and a perfect credit score?
    I want a partner who is mature enough to make solid decisions and who has life experience. I could care less about his/her credit score, or his/her "passion".......I want someone who has his/her crap together and is smart enough to pull my bacon out of the fire if necessary.

There are damn few 18, 19, or 20 yr olds ANYWHERE that I would trust to do that

Leave a comment:

• jdthor
    Forum Member

• jdthor
    replied
    Id personally take the person with life experience over any 19/20 year old whos full of themselves and hasnt figured out that running 150 miles a hour on everything isnt always the best option .That gets people hurt or killed.

As mentioned tho. you seem to feel that your family history means your also already entitled. Saying alot of words you have heard growing up like " going home at night " is good. but until your under fire and actually know how to react .They are just words and words dont stop bullets. 25 years old rooks make stupid mistakes.19 year old rooks do also,normally more.

Slow down and take a breathe ,It all doesnt have to happen right now.

Leave a comment:

• kermit315
    Forum Member

• kermit315
    replied
    I don't take offense to that. I know the person I am and my maturity level. That being said, I come from a family of career law enforcement, ranging from municipalities, up to the federal level. I know my true character however, putting that aside I hope you don't take offense to what I say. Where I come from law enforcement officers do not choose who they want to work with. The law enforcement community I was raised it, we are taught to have each others back no matter what! Male, female, white, black, green yellow, purple, Gay, straight, old, young, it doesn't mater at the end of the night I am going home to my loved ones. I will fight to the end to make sure my partner goes home to his. It is what comes natural to me, it just common sense. But if your agency allows you to cycle partners until you find a soul mate then good! However if you feel that a 25 year old who scrapped by in highschool/college is better than a passion driven young soul then I wish you luck. Life experience is one hing sir. A drive and passion to succeed is anther.

So I pose the question to each and every one of you, would you rather have a passionate young body back you up, or someone who worked as a restaurant manager, with "life experience" and a perfect credit score?
    Passion, while valuable, can often lead to hastily made, tactically poor choices in the absence of other experience to guide it. The restaurant manager has probably learned to read people (to a degree) and can see when something is going south. That being said, your question is a false dilemma and not truly answerable as written, as the two choices are not mutually exclusive. Were I to make a choice purely from the two options given, I would pick the restaurant manager. Is there a reason you assume that the restaurant manager doesn't have passion as well? I have been backed up by people that came from all walks of life, including teachers, people in the medical field, career LE, and other military members. I myself have a GED, some college (3/4 way to a bachelors FWIW), grew up as a farm boy, went on to sail in the Navy (still doing it even), put myself through an academy and got hired. Are you implying that since I never finished high school (for reasons that you do not and will not know), and you did, you are somehow better than I am, and more qualified to wear my badge?

If said restaurant manager has passion and life experience, would he not make the better backup?

I am starting to see where you are going with this whole thread. Your family is LE, so you think you are entitled to entry into LE as soon as the state minimum age is reached. Just because a minimum exists does not mean you are ready for it. You were warned in advance that even if you were hired on at that age, there would be people that would not accept you (because like it or not, you would be a liability), then you try to go tit for tat with a member of the forum about partner shopping. Once again, he is telling you like it is in the real world, just as the rest of us have.

You need to learn that there is more to being an officer than high grades in high school. The ability to make mistakes and learn from them. The ability to live on your own, manage money, hold a job, hold a schedule. The ability to interact with people (in the real world, not the halls of a high school), learn what those people are thinking and wanting to do (subliminal signs, etc). That kind of knowledge comes with life experience, hence the reason you do not have it. Are there people that make it into LE without some of that, sure. Those are the ones that take longer to train in FTO, or wash out of FTO completely, or even worse, get themselves or someone else hurt/killed. They cannot spot common warning signs on the street because they wrap themselves up in the intellectual 'book' side of things, while missing the real context of what is going on.

Book smarts have their place in LE, a very large place. Life experience has a much larger place. Book smarts will make or break cases. Life experience or lack thereof can get you killed.

Leave a comment:

• upandcomming
    Forum Member

• upandcomming
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    I wouldn't work with you, but I don't have to worry about that as in my state you wouldn't be hired, nor be able to purchase a firearm. You are way too young to be a Police Officer. Corrections...maybe. But you will be The Kid for years.
    I don't take offense to that. I know the person I am and my maturity level. That being said, I come from a family of career law enforcement, ranging from municipalities, up to the federal level. I know my true character however, putting that aside I hope you don't take offense to what I say. Where I come from law enforcement officers do not choose who they want to work with. The law enforcement community I was raised it, we are taught to have each others back no matter what! Male, female, white, black, green yellow, purple, Gay, straight, old, young, it doesn't mater at the end of the night I am going home to my loved ones. I will fight to the end to make sure my partner goes home to his. It is what comes natural to me, it just common sense. But if your agency allows you to cycle partners until you find a soul mate then good! However if you feel that a 25 year old who scrapped by in highschool/college is better than a passion driven young soul then I wish you luck. Life experience is one hing sir. A drive and passion to succeed is anther.

Leave a comment:

• CharlesInCharge23
    Forum Member

• CharlesInCharge23
    replied
    Not that I am much older, but I am currently in the academy in florida and going through preliminary job hunts and i can tell you that even though the HS diploma his the highest level required for certification... most agencies want you to have an AA or AS. Take your police academy (hopefully itll double as college credit) and get an AS in CJ... that's what a lot of the under 20s are doing in mine because then youre half way to the AS. Plus, you'll learn in the academy, from the first day of class you have 4 years to get hired... plenty of time, dont worry. Keep your head in the book, run some laps, you'll be good

Leave a comment:

• Taylor13
    Macho Man

• Taylor13
    replied
    I'm 19 but I plan on getting some college, I also have some solid work experience, 5 years volunteering with the local S/O, hundreds of hours to be exact and I have professional references from where I've worked and also in the LEO industry and most agencies in Florida I've talked to noticed wont even talk to you til you're 21 unless you're already certified.

Question: should I start applying at 21 guys or should I just finish up some more college, keep working full time (try to get in with a civil position at a local department?) as well and wait til I'm 22/23 or so.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    Shadowman

• CCCSD
    replied
    I wouldn't work with you, but I don't have to worry about that as in my state you wouldn't be hired, nor be able to purchase a firearm. You are way too young to be a Police Officer. Corrections...maybe. But you will be The Kid for years.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyVet
    Forum Member

• ArmyVet
    replied
    Will you be given equal opportunity? Yes, but does that mean you have equal experience compared to other, older applicants? No. You would benefit yourself more by going to college or joining the military while you can, whichever fits your life goals better. I was managing a store at age 17. I had employees that were far older than I was and had worked there far longer than I had, and I hired and fired some of them. This was a significant and shaping life experience for me, but it was only after getting out into the world that I figured out how life works, which is important when you're dealing with people outside of the realms you're used to. You're off to a good start. If it doesn't work out this time, learn from it and go do something different for a while.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4891 users online. 284 members and 4607 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X