300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College athlete looking into LE

I know there are a lot of posts similar to this but I would like an opinion on my profile situation.

I am currently a college student pursuing my B.A. Degree. I have never got in any trouble with the law. I have no prior use of drugs or even alcohol. Nor do I have any speeding tickets. I've never even got into a fist fight. I don't consider myself a quiet person, but I'm never going to be one to be too outspoken either. I'm a sprinter on my university's track team, so I have limited work history. I've been told on numerous occasions that I'm "too nice" to be an officer. But I don't think so. I always thought that you have to personable to be a cop. What are my chances in the application process? Should I apply before I graduate? I'll be 21 at the time of graduation.

Your chances are from 0-100% depending on a multitude of things we know nothing about.

Comment

Exactly who is telling you that you are 'too nice' to be a LEO? People watch alot of police shows and believe everything they see on news broadcasts? The job requires you to talk to all types of people in all walks of life. Have to know more too give an assessment.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Zeitgeist is correct.

Being nice and sympathetic with the capacity for human emotion is part of the job. Always arresting people and writing citations is not what this is about.

Many agencies are pushing community policing and social media to win the hearts and minds of the community.

On the other hand... To quote Road House "Be nice, until it's time to not be nice."

Comment

I am 5'5", 155 lbs, and over 40. Nice is all I have going for me!

Being nice goes a long way. It doesn't take much jackassednessâ„¢ to talk yourself in to a fight. It just goes smoother when you are nice.

And make no mistake, you can still whoop a man's arse while remaining as nice as can be.

(edit) I just created a new word that gets by the censors!! jackassedness!! WOOT!
          Last edited by Shush; 08-21-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Collegiate athletics is a pretty good background for a cop.

Not only are you taught teamwork, but usually leadership skills while participating in sports.

As far as being "too nice"---------read above
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

College athlete looking into LE

Thanks everyone, of all the officers I've met, as well as an officer I rode around with were very nice. They said they usually follow the "Ask, Tell, Make"when it comes to commands. And I'm glad that LE can recognize more to an athlete than just "he can run fast"

Comment

I work with a few officers who were athletes in school. Teamwork, discipline, and self-motivation are positive traits that sports can instill in someone and those are also highly beneficial in a LE officer. Forget the "too nice" comment, as long as you can determine when it is time to not be nice. Being a LEO does require compassion for your fellow human beings. Imagine a gruff and grumpy officer doing a death notification after a traffic accident or calming a lost and scared child. As long as you can go hardcore when the time is right, you have nothing to worry about. This job is about being a professional not being an *******.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

This post is actually quite helpful for me. While not an athlete or anything but I've always been called too nice but now that I'm starting the academy, I believe that when it hits the fan I'll be ready to go. But it's good to know that an overall pleasant demeanor won't work against me.

Comment

Originally posted by Burris View Post
                    I know there are a lot of posts similar to this but I would like an opinion on my profile situation.

I am currently a college student pursuing my B.A. Degree. I have never got in any trouble with the law. I have no prior use of drugs or even alcohol. Nor do I have any speeding tickets. I've never even got into a fist fight. I don't consider myself a quiet person, but I'm never going to be one to be too outspoken either. I'm a sprinter on my university's track team, so I have limited work history. I've been told on numerous occasions that I'm "too nice" to be an officer. But I don't think so. I always thought that you have to personable to be a cop. What are my chances in the application process? Should I apply before I graduate? I'll be 21 at the time of graduation.
                    I was a college athlete (football) and I graduated with a Bachelor in criminal justice. I have no criminal record, never been in a fist fight, no military background and I got accepted into the academy. I think you have a great shot, just keep working hard.

Comment

Thank you, that's great to hear because football is even busier than track. I always thought they wanted some type of work history.

Comment

95% of this job is talking. Talking nicely is about 80% of that. He who says another is too nice to do that job is probably too stupid to understand the job.

Some of the worst Officers I have met are the ones that are all about tickets, arrests, and chewing ***.

Comment

Be a "Conservator of the Peace".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4328 users online. 257 members and 4071 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X