Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I going to get side-eyed for showing side boob?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going to get side-eyed for showing side boob?

Hi all,
    Brace yourself because it's a long post. I read the stickies and searched the forum, but I was hoping for some fresh perspective on the subject of ex-strippers working in Law Enforcement. Plus any insight into the military spouse angle would be appreciated.

Background: Female, 30 years old. Military spouse and therefore move around the country a lot; generally we move every 2 years. Currently in Las Vegas. I've always assumed that departments would not hire someone to become a sworn officer if that candidate is going to be moving away mere months after they complete the hiring and training process. However, I started looking at civilian job postings and feel I'm very qualified to work some office positions that don't need a ton of training, also it would be great to get solid LE office experience that would help me transition into other departments when/wherever we move.

So, anyway- civilians must do the same BIs, interviews, polys, etc as sworn officers and this is where my past comes into play. Between 2005-2008 I occasionally worked as a topless dancer in about 5 different strip clubs in Pennsylvania. Danced maybe 20 times total in those years and would go to whichever club was doing well that month. I was "freelance" never adhered to a set schedule or signed any contracts/applications. I'm actually not sure the clubs have any records of me being employed unless they photocopied my ID for proof of age. I claimed my cash income on taxes so no problems with the IRS like some other strippers. I followed the industry regulations, never did anything shady or illegal, and I'm not embarrassed about it so I plan to tell interviewers about being a stripper even if there are no employment records. There might be pictures of me floating around that a BI could find by combing titty bar websites, I dunno.

On to my questions: Would you and/or your most conservative coworkers consider hiring someone who stripped in the last decade? Would you deem a former stripper less worthy of being in Law Enforcement (compared to those who never worked in that sort of industry) or as a person whose past might bring disrepute to the department? Is this likely to be more of an issue in a large city with lots of competition (ie Las Vegas) or in a small/rural town where it's not commonly seen on anyone's resume? I know it's not an automatic DQ or rule that strippers can not get hired but is working a pole enough to get passed over in favor of someone who has never flashed a nip for $5?

And if you think the stripper thing doesn't even matter because I'm a military spouse who moves so often that I don't stand a chance of getting hired in this field anyway, please say so before I get my hopes up any further. Apologies for for the long post and thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Scarlett_Nopants; 08-19-2014, 04:56 PM. Reason: brevityyyyy

First this is you need to take a page from Buck Savages study guide. Brevity is the sole of of of oh whatever. Anyway, to my main question. I feel that in order to give you an honest and independent analysis of your circumstances I would need you see a video of you in action or at the very least a picture of what it looked like.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but NO. Yes, you could get hired with some rinky dink outfit somewhere that doesn't really care and doesn't look to hard, but when the bigger agencies have hundreds if not more applicants out there that have not stripped you would get a thank you, but no thank you letter. There is a certain stigma surrounding strip clubs as far as them being unsavory places. Some of it well earned and some maybe not so much. That and the fact that you moved around from club to club.

Does me saying this mean there won't be any pictures????

Comment

Aw, fiddlesticks. Kind of what I was expecting but still sucks to hear. Appreciate your candor. And yeah, I went overboard with details in case there was something that was a bigger deal than I'd assumed (like moving from club to club... didn't figure that would be a dealbreaker of all things).

Gonna work on my brevity. Next time I'll just mail a polaroid of myself in a g-string & stripper heels to my local PD with "Can I be a cop? Circle one- YES / NO" written on it.

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post

Does me saying this mean there won't be any pictures????
        Not a chance. You already linked my youtube video, that's bad enough.
        Last edited by Scarlett_Nopants; 10-03-2014, 09:59 PM.

Comment

You used to strip: You should come work at my agency.

Military-spouse: Nevermind.

Not because you might move frequently, but because there are some lines even I won't cross.

Comment

Originally posted by AppState View Post
            You used to strip: You should come work at my agency.

Military-spouse: Nevermind.

Not because you might move frequently, but because there are some lines even I won't cross.
            I have the sense this is a wicked burn referencing some sort of military/spouse stereotype, but I haven't been married that long nor lurked the forums enough to get it. Elaborate please.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett_Nopants View Post
              I have the sense this is a wicked burn referencing some sort of military/spouse stereotype, but I haven't been married that long nor lurked the forums enough to get it. Elaborate please.

No burn. If you were married to a firefighter, not my problem. Married to a soldier, off limits.

What can I say, I'm a man of honor.

Comment

I knew of one female who danced in a totally nude club for some time. The last I heard of her she was a Sergeant with a 400+ member PD in a Southern California beach city.

However, being a military wife who constantly moves around is a real killer. It goes against good judgment to invest a lot of time and money in training someone you are pretty sure won't be there in a couple of years.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I have worked with two Officers that were military spouses, one was a dude and the other a chick; however, both had prior LEO experience.

That being said, from my involvement in recruiting and in my personal opinion, I think that many agencies would hire a female officer that is a military spouse. For one, many agencies have difficulty attracting qualified females to their agencies thus finding challenges for the equal opportunity / showing a diverse demographic to reflect the community.

On the other subject you brought up, I am not sure; however, I do not think that alone would be a disqualifier. Just make sure everything else is in order: Finances, smart choices, etc. My 2 cents.
                  Last edited by Caballero1508; 08-19-2014, 11:21 PM. Reason: Context

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett_Nopants View Post
                      Hi all,
                      Brace yourself because it's a long post. I read the stickies and searched the forum, but I was hoping for some fresh perspective on the subject of ex-strippers working in Law Enforcement. Plus any insight into the military spouse angle would be appreciated.

Background: Female, 30 years old. Military spouse and therefore move around the country a lot; generally we move every 2 years. Currently in Las Vegas. I've always assumed that departments would not hire someone to become a sworn officer if that candidate is going to be moving away mere months after they complete the hiring and training process. However, I started looking at civilian job postings and feel I'm very qualified to work some office positions that don't need a ton of training, also it would be great to get solid LE office experience that would help me transition into other departments when/wherever we move.

So, anyway- civilians must do the same BIs, interviews, polys, etc as sworn officers and this is where my past comes into play. Between 2005-2008 I occasionally worked as a topless dancer in about 5 different strip clubs in Pennsylvania. Danced maybe 20 times total in those years and would go to whichever club was doing well that month. I was "freelance" never adhered to a set schedule or signed any contracts/applications. I'm actually not sure the clubs have any records of me being employed unless they photocopied my ID for proof of age. I claimed my cash income on taxes so no problems with the IRS like some other strippers. I followed the industry regulations, never did anything shady or illegal, and I'm not embarrassed about it so I plan to tell interviewers about being a stripper even if there are no employment records. There might be pictures of me floating around that a BI could find by combing titty bar websites, I dunno.

On to my questions: Would you and/or your most conservative coworkers consider hiring someone who stripped in the last decade? Would you deem a former stripper less worthy of being in Law Enforcement (compared to those who never worked in that sort of industry) or as a person whose past might bring disrepute to the department? Is this likely to be more of an issue in a large city with lots of competition (ie Las Vegas) or in a small/rural town where it's not commonly seen on anyone's resume? I know it's not an automatic DQ or rule that strippers can not get hired but is working a pole enough to get passed over in favor of someone who has never flashed a nip for $5?

And if you think the stripper thing doesn't even matter because I'm a military spouse who moves so often that I don't stand a chance of getting hired in this field anyway, please say so before I get my hopes up any further. Apologies for for the long post and thanks for reading!
                      I think the stripping is less a deal breaker than the moving would be. Though I find you screen name a little unsettling and makes me wonder how you would carry yourself. The screen name gives me pause for what your mind set is. Obviously I know very little about you and have known more than a few women that made a decent living at exotic dancing and paid for school, supported kids etc. Good luck to you with whatever you decide. Never hurts to apply.
                      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                        I think the stripping is less a deal breaker than the moving would be. Though I find you screen name a little unsettling and makes me wonder how you would carry yourself. The screen name gives me pause for what your mind set is. Obviously I know very little about you and have known more than a few women that made a decent living at exotic dancing and paid for school, supported kids etc. Good luck to you with whatever you decide. Never hurts to apply.
                        Agree 100%
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you L-1, Caballero1508 and Zeitgeist, your replies are helpful and appreciated.

As for the screenname: Don't read anything into that. I created it specifically to write this one post about stripping, went with a name that referenced the topic and couldn't be linked to any of my other online handles. Figured people have a sense of humor on these forums and would recognize it's a joke. I assure you that "Nopants" is not my regular username nor an email address I use/give out/write on resumes and it's not a reflection on how I carry myself in real life.

Besides, it's probably better than the screen name I was very tempted to register: "PeanutButterDQ"

Comment

(deleted because apparently my joke was in poor taste?)
                            Last edited by Shush; 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

No problem and good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4378 users online. 226 members and 4152 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X