300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescribed Adderall for ADHD

I spoke to a police officer today. I asked him, if I'm prescribed adderall for ADHD then can I still take that and get hired as a police officer. I can function without it just certain tasks are more difficult, like sitting threw class. I'm a senior in college now and I have been clean of taking it for over 6 months. Before I start taking it again what is your guys opinion on this? Am I safe to keep taking it?

You do what your Dr tells you is safe to do.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      You do what your Dr tells you is safe to do.
      MANY, MANY , MANY police officers suffer from ADHD, ADD or whatever the flavor of the year diagnosis is today. MOST have their condition treated by competition physicians and have no problems functioning.

If your doctor wants you on medication -------------take it.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So then it should not affect me getting hired? The officer also agreed with you guys and said that it doesn't matter because I'm prescribed it

Comment

There are two issues to be addressed:

First, in most states every law enforcement candidate is evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position. This includes evaluating the extent and degree of any ADHD that may exist.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.

The second involves medication related impairments associated with whatever you are taking, not as defined by you, but as has been established by the medical community. For further information on this read http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/AppendixA.pdf While it gives antihistamines and pain killers as an example, the information pertains to all meds.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Read, and re-read each reply you've received. Each one is 100% correct.

Comment

As a side note, police officers are empowered to deprive others of their property, their freedom and if necessary, their life. These are serious responsibilities that are not to be taken lightly.

Would you entrust these responsibilities to someone who is operating under the influence of adderall, an amphetamine, whose known medical side effects include nervousness, restlessness, excitability, dizziness, headache, fear, anxiety, tremor, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate and palpitations of the heart?

Additionally, the physical and emotional stress alone from police work increases an officer's risk for stroke and heart attack. Many officers take disability retirements based on heart issues. Taking a medication that increases blood pressure and heart rate exacerbates that risk, making one who takes it an unlikely candidate for employment as it increases their risk for a disability retirement..
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Short awnser: Cops are humans too and deal with the same psych issues as any other joe. I know Several cops who take various meds due to whatever disorder and are perfectly good cops, life happens to everyone.
                "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Would you entrust these responsibilities to someone who is operating under the influence of adderall, an amphetamine, whose known medical side effects include nervousness, restlessness, excitability, dizziness, headache, fear, anxiety, tremor, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate and palpitations of the heart?
                  Assuming they can make it through an academy and field training program.. Yes. The side effects you list are probably similar to the side effects of nasal decongestants, tylenol, and diarrhea medicine. People with certain disabilities can still do this job. I had an academy classmate who wore a hearing aid. I also know officers who are diabetic or missing fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Niez1111 View Post
                    So then it should not affect me getting hired? The officer also agreed with you guys and said that it doesn't matter because I'm prescribed it
                    That's a hard question too answer. An ADD or ADHD Diagnosis IN IT SELF can not be held against you- it would be a violation of the americans with disabilities act.

however, if they can articulate a valid reason why your unsuitable for the job- (poor grades, prior work performance etc) then it can be an issue.

Other concern i would see is that they may be concerned with someone who is taking amphetamines having a firearm.
                    Problems with a psych exam?
                    Have an upcoming
                    PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
                    you make up your mind.
                    WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
                    http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

Originally posted by Niez1111 View Post
                      I can function without it just certain tasks are more difficult, like sitting threw class. I'm a senior in college now and I have been clean of taking it for over 6 months. it?
                      I think the part I placed in bold will be more of a concern than the adderall. LOL

Comment

That whole sentence should have been bolded. Pretty bad for a college Senior. Guess that Adderall isn't working so hot.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3549 users online. 190 members and 3359 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X