300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to ask for an update?

Just had a Chiefs interview about 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything yet. When is an appropriate time to contact HR for an update?

Never. They will contact you. Don't be "that guy."
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Gotcha, last thing I want to do is be annoying!

Comment

Send a "thank you letter" typed in professional format and snail mail it. Google post interview conduct for corporations / firms and apply it to your letter.

It will remind them and can make a positive impression.

Comment

No. Don't send anything. They don't care and won't read it. Don't be "That Guy"...

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            No. Don't send anything. They don't care and won't read it. Don't be "That Guy"...
            While I respect my colleague's perspective, I still strongly encourage anyone to brush up on business etiquette, customs and courtesies. While we may be peacekeepers and at times face animosity and violence, we must also know how to be professionals and be culturally savvy. Google post-interview tips and you will find most blogs and guidance sections have something about a post-interview letter. In many schools of thought, it is viewed as polite to send a letter. Such as the etiquette of wearing a suit (socks matching trousers and belt matching shoes).

You will find that many Command Staff personnel at law enforcement agencies are pursuing education, seminars and training on professionalism... For example: the FBI National Academy and the Florida Criminal Justice Executive Institute tailored to upper echelon with instruction on leadership, communication, organization, etc.

What is writing a letter post-interview? Communication!

What do we do as Police Officers? Write reports, talk to people, pay attention to details.

A well crafted post-interview letter can demonstrate your proficiency at writing (writing reports), your attention to detail (remembering the interviewer's name and area of assignment) and your professionalism (good manners).

It's YOUR Career. How do you want the Command Staff (as they are usually involved in the interviewing) to perceive you as a candidate?

Comment

Sigh... Business letters of thanks have no place in the process. Business rules or suggestions are not LE oriented and it's two different situations. You are mixing things up to try and justify your error. Again, a thank you letter goes right into the round file. The chiefs secretary will open and read it and toss it. It won't impress anyone on your skills since writing a business letter has ZERO relation to a police report.
              Caballero, are you really a cop?

OP: your choice. If you do a search on this topic, you will see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Sigh... Business letters of thanks have no place in the process. Business rules or suggestions are not LE oriented and it's two different situations. You are mixing things up to try and justify your error. Again, a thank you letter goes right into the round file. The chiefs secretary will open and read it and toss it. It won't impress anyone on your skills since writing a business letter has ZERO relation to a police report.
                Caballero, are you really a cop?

OP: your choice. If you do a search on this topic, you will see what I'm talking about.
                CCCSD, Yes.

And while I understand the business world and the law enforcement world are different, I believe that there are traits from both that are great and combining fields of thoughts from a variety of backgrounds makes for a well-rounded individual. It doesn't hurt to be open-minded as we often have to approach situations and investigations from different perspectives to have an un-biased investigation.
                Both are customer service related (Yes, really... Who do we serve? The public.)

I serve both my community as a Police Officer and my country as an Intelligence Analyst in the Reserves. While the military and law enforcement are different, I am able to use analysis I learned through the military in some investigations and response to calls as well as using vulnerability assessments learned via intelligence and apply it to vulnerability assessments in the civilian community.

So where does a "business rules or suggestions that are not LE oriented" come into play?

Law Enforcement isn't just thinking in one perspective. It's being able to think in many different perspectives. There is a reason Federal Agencies and other local agencies recruit those from different backgrounds. These below, for example, are taken from an FBI Special Agent vacancy:

"This fiscal year the FBI is seeking applicants with the following backgrounds and expertise:

Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)
                Attorneys (Admitted to the Bar)
                CS/IT Network Administrators (Intrusions)
                Engineers

Law Enforcement (Detectives, Task Force Members)
                Military (specifically Special Forces, Explosives, WMD, and Intelligence experts)
                Physical Science (Scientists, Lab Experience, Advanced Degrees)
                Foreign Language(s) speakers (intermediate or fluent in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Somali, Arabic, Urdu, Pashto, Punjabi, Russian and Farsi)
                Pilots (Helicopter, Fixed-Wing)
                *Diversified (all other backgrounds or skills not specified above)"

Anyways. You don't have to write a "Thank you Letter" meant for the business world. What works for me, may not work for you. Or what works for another Officer may not work for you; however, I highly suggest learning as much as possible from different fields of thought and seeing where they can help you as a Police Officer. I started thinking outside of the box, and I think it may help if you do the same.

And what it comes down to, for me, is: A thank you letter may not be the norm in the law enforcement community, but cyber crime wasn't the norm before either... now cyber crime is becoming a huge challenge for law enforcement and it often reaches multiple jurisdictions simultaneously. I think it takes thinking outside of the box from every little thing... including that interview process to forge your path in the future of our community.

:-)
                Last edited by Caballero1508; 08-04-2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I've got my MA, 30 years in LE, 25 years in the Military, plus more time working in teaching and corporate. I know the difference and also know what is appropriate and when. Your advice is inappropriate for a candidate.

Comment

I've got my MA, 30 years in LE, 25 years in the Military, plus more time working in teaching and corporate. I know the difference and also know what is appropriate and when. Your advice is inappropriate for a candidate.
                    Damn, you're old! :-P

What I've suggested I have done, and it worked.

Comment

Don't send anything. The dept. says that THEY will contact YOU. There is a reason they may take 3-8 weeks. They might want to see if you have any patience. Following simple directions is key in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Billdozer79 View Post
                        Don't send anything. The dept. says that THEY will contact YOU. There is a reason they may take 3-8 weeks. They might want to see if you have any patience. Following simple directions is key in this world.
                        If they tell you this. Then follow directions. In my previous interviews, I recieved no such instruction. And within a year of my current gig (the one I submitted letters to the entire board thanking them for the interview), I was approached and asked to be involved with Recruiting and as a liason funneling recommendations/complaints/etc. From rank and file to upper echelon.

Every department is different.

Comment

Got the dreadful "non-select" letter. I believe the position was rightfully given to one of their reserve or community officers. Will try again soon! This will give me time to work kn becoming more competitive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5102 users online. 279 members and 4823 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X