X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeitgeist
    replied
    Originally posted by Molon_Labe View Post
    I also don't think it is worthless, but my dad did just get his masters recently and took 3 spanish classes and he said he hardly learned anything. I could say it's cause he wasn't a good student, but since he was Magna Cum Laude that's not the case.
    I took two spanish classes in high school and even if I have to talk spanish to a non english speaker I will sometimes randomly remember some word from high school. I agree with Caballero, the information is there, you just need to apply it to real life.
    You prove my point perfectly. He earned a Graduate degree, Magna Cum Laude and admittedly 'hardly learned anything.'

It depends on what your goal is. To be able to interview and or interrogate a non English speaker or diagram a sentence? I want to communicate with the gangbangers in my area. I have as yet to meet one that spoke proper Spanish. They speak street slang, mostly Mexican Spanish here.

I speak German. I have been mistaken for a native. Can I explain to you about the grammar? Nope. I say it a certain way because it sounds right and that's how I grew up speaking it.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 08-09-2014, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zeitgeist
    replied
    Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
    I don't think it is worthless. My DLI classmates that had university background had a huge leg up during academics. Gives you more of a baseline.

It does needs to be supplemented / enhanced with immersion though
    You have your opinion and I have mine. DLI is a whole different animal. University language study focuses on grammar and a formal way of speaking that is rarely used by the target audience on the street.

Most aspiring officers will not get the luxury of qualifying for and being able to attend the DLI.

Leave a comment:

• Hanmo
    replied
    Look man, it's not the end of the world. "If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

That said, it will make it a bit tougher to get hired. You are still young and have time to put distance between yourself and that event. People get hired with DUI's on their record. I disagree with it, but it has happened. Put in the time at a job and keep your nose clean and be up front with those charges with your BI and it should work out eventually.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Molon_Labe
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Outstanding! That is the absolute best way to learn the language.....as it's really spoken by normal, everyday, people. I watch telenovela's, they help. Also listen to Spanish talk radio.

IMO University language study is all but worthless.
    A few weeks ago I thought it'd be a great idea to watch a spanish station, and just turn on the subtitles. Then I turned on the subtitles and it was still in Spanish! They speak so fast also, but I'll catch a word here and there and get the gist of what's going on. So that didn't work out to well, but just like Caballero said, if you take a university language class, you must also supplement it with immersion.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Leave a comment:

• Molon_Labe
    replied
    Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
    I don't think it is worthless. My DLI classmates that had university background had a huge leg up during academics. Gives you more of a baseline.

I also don't think it is worthless, but my dad did just get his masters recently and took 3 spanish classes and he said he hardly learned anything. I could say it's cause he wasn't a good student, but since he was Magna Cum Laude that's not the case.
    I took two spanish classes in high school and even if I have to talk spanish to a non english speaker I will sometimes randomly remember some word from high school. I agree with Caballero, the information is there, you just need to apply it to real life.

Leave a comment:

• Molon_Labe
    replied
    Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
    Definitely not the smartest thing you could have done, but everyone does stupid things. As has been repeatedly said, probably not going to be a permanent DQ. Something that may get you passed over at least a few times? Yeah, likely. And even if it isn't the reason you aren't getting hired, you'll think it is. Departments don't have to tell you why they don't pick you, so every time someone passes over you, you're going to say, "Crap, it's because I was stupid at Best Buy." It'll eat at you, that's for sure.

Given how much stuff--money, drugs, personal property--that we are in contact with every day, the last thing you want to do is give a potential employer pause to think, "Well, this guy has a history of taking stuff that isn't his..." but in time, keeping your nose clean, you'll have your chance. Good luck.
    I haven't been dropped out of any department as of yet, but I just turned in one background packet so I hope I will at least get to talk to an investigator and maybe he will see past it. If any department passes over me, the first thing I am going to think is, "That dang charge!" It already does eat at m every single time I think about getting hired...
    Thank you for your time and response, I appreciate it! As well as all the luck in the world..

Leave a comment:

• Caballero1508
    replied
    Outstanding! That is the absolute best way to learn the language.....as it's really spoken by normal, everyday, people. I watch telenovela's, they help. Also listen to Spanish talk radio.

Leave a comment:

• Nathan571
    replied
    Definitely not the smartest thing you could have done, but everyone does stupid things. As has been repeatedly said, probably not going to be a permanent DQ. Something that may get you passed over at least a few times? Yeah, likely. And even if it isn't the reason you aren't getting hired, you'll think it is. Departments don't have to tell you why they don't pick you, so every time someone passes over you, you're going to say, "Crap, it's because I was stupid at Best Buy." It'll eat at you, that's for sure.

Given how much stuff--money, drugs, personal property--that we are in contact with every day, the last thing you want to do is give a potential employer pause to think, "Well, this guy has a history of taking stuff that isn't his..." but in time, keeping your nose clean, you'll have your chance. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Zeitgeist
    replied
    I have two more years until I have a bachelors degree in finance, and I am learning Spanish. I work at a restaurant and a majority of the kitchen is hispanic, so I learn a lot by talking to them everyday as well as teaching myself at home.

Leave a comment:

• Lady Blue
    replied
    Theft from an employer is not a good thing to have on your record, but you know that. The challenge you face is how to offset that as much as you can. Education will help as will learning a second language so you are doing the right things so far. Keep doing that, get involved in your community, build a solid reputation for yourself and stay out of trouble. Right now time is your friend. The more good you can do to offset the bad the better your chances

Leave a comment:

• Caballero1508
    replied
    I have two more years until I have a bachelors degree in finance, and I am learning Spanish. I work at a restaurant and a majority of the kitchen is hispanic, so I learn a lot by talking to them everyday as well as teaching myself at home.
    Keep it up and good luck. I agree that any criminal history is a speedbump, and it will make your journey harder; however, only you know what you are capable of so do everything to achieve your goals and you'll get there even if it takes longer.

Finish your degree and then some, volunteer in the community, practice language skills and become proficient, shed anyone that is a bad influence, workout and keep your nose clean.

Leave a comment:

• Molon_Labe
    replied
    You're age counts against you too. Though some agencies hire younger people. Have you finished your education? Learned a second language? Look at ways to make yourself competitive.

Leave a comment:

• Molon_Labe
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I understand what you are saying--------------However

You took the card from a position of trust using your status as a Best Buy employee. Therefore it still qualifies Looking at it from an employer point of view--and more importantly as a LAW ENFORCEMENT employer point of view

I think it will be a significant bump in the roadway of getting hired as a LEO. It happened when you were young enough to be considered a "stupid move" rather than as an adult who should have known better. Therefore like I said before-----I don't think it is a permanent fatal problem.
    That makes total sense, thank you for clarifying that. Even at 17 I should have known better, but hopefully with time it will subside a little and I won't be kicked out for it. I'll soon find out from the background packet I just turned in.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Molon_Labe
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    You seem now to want to argue. That being the case, let's do a little review. It was YOU who came to us with a question, not the other way around. Your question was answered with 100% accuracy by each colleague who took the time to reply.
    I'm not trying to argue at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was just trying to go into more detail and a little more in depth and it wasn't needed. I really appreciate all of everyones advice and being honest, you do this on your own time and I appreciate it a lot.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    You seem now to want to argue. That being the case, let's do a little review. It was YOU who came to us with a question, not the other way around. Your question was answered with 100% accuracy by each colleague who took the time to reply.

At the end of the day, and by your own admission, you DID commit a crime. It really is that simple. The sooner you accept that fact, the sooner you'll be able to deal with it. As I noted to you in my initial reply, I don't see your situation as a permanent DQ, although it is, and it should be, a rather substantial road block. It ain't going to simply "go away" either. It will remain a point any agency will consider in making a decision to hire you.

Again, and at the risk of sounding repetitive, about the only realistic shot you have at entering this profession is to build a solid and substantial work history. One that not only demonstrates dependability, but increasing degrees of trust in your personal integrity.

Now, if you want some namby pamby answer(s), something you simply desire to hear, visit Dr. Phil, Hillary's Village, or some similar 'Feel good" site. They'll tell you just want you want to hear. It'll be free, in the same manner our advice is. Only problem for you is their replies will be bull****. Ours have been the truth, and at the end of the day, you really can't put a price on that.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3020 users online. 232 members and 2788 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X