300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and cons of self sponsored academy

What are the pros and cons of paying your way through the academy? Besides getting paid monthly from an agency of course. By paying your way through the academy, does that mean there is less competition?

Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
    What are the pros and cons of paying your way through the academy? Besides getting paid monthly from an agency of course. By paying your way through the academy, does that mean there is less competition?
    No, it means you are spending YOUR money to get certified instead of the agency who hires you spending money to get you certified.

It will also depend on where you are----------------some states it is truly the ONLY practical way to get certified . Other places-----it is a money maker for the school
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The pro to self sponsoring is you get certified and are not tied to any one particular agency if you have to sign a contract. Being certified can give you a leg up in the process if your competition is not certified.

The con is that you have to find a job, normally within a specified time period from your certification date. If you don't get hired in that time window, you are out the money you paid for the academy.

As Iowa said, in some places of this country you have to self sponsor. In other parts, you have to go through with an agency sponsoring you.

Covman

Comment

There's an expiration date for your certificate?

Comment

Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
          There's an expiration date for your certificate?
          I some states, yes.

In California, you must be hired within three years of graduation. If you are not, you must either re-do the academy or take a refresher course to become re-qualified. You do not receive your POST certificate until after a minimum of one year of employment as a peace officer and completing an agency's employment probation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
            I some states, yes.

In California, you must be hired within three years of graduation. If you are not, you must either re-do the academy or take a refresher course to become re-qualified. You do not receive your POST certificate until after a minimum of one year of employment as a peace officer and completing an agency's employment probation.
            Florida Certificate expires also:

Become Employed as a sworn officer pursuant to Florida Statutes 943.1395
            Individuals who have completed the required Basic Recruit Training and passed the State Officer Certification Examination have four years from the start date of their Basic Recruit Training Program to become employed as an officer in Florida.

Pros: No contract and you have the ability to apply to any agency. Most agencies require self-sponsor here.

Cons: Some larger agencies will still require you to go through their academy. No guarantee of employment.

Comment

Unless you're independently wealthy, you're gonna have to work a regular job to pay your way through. That means going through on nights and/or weekends. I did the weekend route and either way it wears you down after a while. Also the hundreds of rounds expended on the range gets rather expensive these days.
              Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
              Among Texas' finest
              Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
              Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
              Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Piggy backing off what others have said. It all depends on where you're at. I went through the night academy and worked 50+ hours during the week. It all comes down to how bad you want it. I was lucky enough to get quite a few offers right after i graduated and had the freedom to choose where I wanted to go. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

If the academy is run through a college, you may be able to pursue financial aid. I received a "scholarship" for my self-sponsored academy with an essay.

Comment

We've done some rather exhaustive discussions on the subject of self-sponsored academies. Not to "blow you off" or be unresponsive to your questions, but take a good look at the "Search Function" You'll find a wealth of information, both pro and con, on the subject.

Take a look at it. I believe you'll find it both enjoyable and informative. Good luck in all of your plans.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3571 users online. 204 members and 3367 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X