300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring Dillemas

I am about three weeks into my new position as a CO with my Counties Sheriff’s Office. I love the job, and my FTO is extremely good at his job, I feel very lucky to be in the situation I am. But, while I was in the hiring process I continued applying elsewhere, and about the same time I accepted the position I have, I moved into background with a local police agency.

Now I realize that moving to background is not a job, and even a conditional offer is not a job, however I am one of five people moving forward for five positions, and my background is very clean. That said if everything goes as planned I will have a bit of a dilemma.

I want to work in Police Services, and so for me corrections is a time to learn and grow as much as I can in order to become the best officer possible. However I may be presented with the opportunity to forgo the time in corrections and move directly to my goal of going on patrol.

Thus my dilemma, I have been very open with my current employer so that is not a problem, but I need to make a decision. I know that a lot of this is personal, but I would like to hear people’s opinions about the differences in environment between SO’s and PD’s. This particular PD is very small and highly focused on community policing, which is something that is exciting to me. However the SO is much bigger and might have a bit more in terms of resources (ie. SORT teams and such). The biggest benefit is that the PD will send me directly to Academy this October, whereas with the SO I will only get a 6 week correctional academy and would have to re-attend full academy in a few years. The other benefit is that while the call volume is lower at the PD, they put you on a FTO program with a much larger PD that actually works closely with them which allows training on high call volume.

I was looking for input about the differences to expect though I know many are personal, and what the best way to make the transition is without burning bridges at the SO, obviously giving as much notice as possible, and working as hard as possible with the presumption this is where I will be spending my career regardless of what happens.

Thanks for the time!

Hopefully, you'll appreciate honest replies. The first thought which comes to my mind is that you haven't yet been hired by the other agency to which you applied. Until such time as you actually receive a firm offer of employment, not merely conditional, I'd stay right where I was and do the best job possible. But, you know that already.

Should you be offered the PD job, that would be time for you to provide your current employer with appropriate notice. At the end of any given day, any decisions you make relative to a job change will have to be yours, and yours alone. Again, keep your personal goals and ambitions in mind.

You're wise in your desire to not "burn any bridges". Changing jobs after having given due notice, should not constitute your burning any bridges. Good luck in your career.

Comment

The point that you need to make a decision is when you get an ACTUAL final job offer---and really not until.

WE can't really help you decide which job to work at. Only YOU know your long term goals and desires AND only YOU know your path to take

Obviously the agency you work for NOW knows about your moving on with another agency ----they understand that you might be leaving (NORMALLY ) That is fine with them as you will be replaced 2 minutes after you leave them for the other job.

PERSONALLY I think every cop should spend a minimum of 2 yrs behind bars before going to the streets------but I am biased
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You'll wind up bored silly after a year or two at any PD that is too small to even have their own FTOs. There also will be little to nothing in the way of specialized assignments and promotions.

My department is only 165 sworn, usually running at more like 140. I love working here, but if I was doing it all over again, I wouldn't go to an agncy smaller than about 400 sworn.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

If your goal is to be a police officer then take the job. Call volume? Whats the call volume for a C.O.?

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
            You'll wind up bored silly after a year or two at any PD that is too small to even have their own FTOs. There also will be little to nothing in the way of specialized assignments and promotions.

My department is only 165 sworn, usually running at more like 140. I love working here, but if I was doing it all over again, I wouldn't go to an agncy smaller than about 400 sworn.
            Disagree. I am at a 23 man agency and I have been given many opportunities. I am a FTO, bike officer, Housing (SRO), and ALICE certified instructor and I still run regular patrol. Small departments have plenty of opportunity to see and do many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanmo View Post
              Disagree. I am at a 23 man agency and I have been given many opportunities. I am a FTO, bike officer, Housing (SRO), and ALICE certified instructor and I still run regular patrol. Small departments have plenty of opportunity to see and do many things.
              One of the nice things about small agencies is that more likely than not you get to "run" with any cases you catch. Being able to see them from start to conviction is an added bonus of working a small place
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I have read enough posts on here to expect, and appreciate the "It is not your job, yet posts" from Phillipcal and Iwoa. I have been in enough hiring processes to know not to make any solid plans. But, I am a planner by nature. ateamer's comments were a major part of my concern, as my A-Tier agencies when I started were large and I liked them for their programs.

As far as call volume the SO can't answer all their calls for service now, so while as a CO it is based entirely on when something happens in the facility, if I were to become a Deputy it would be very busy.

I appreciate the comments from Hanmo as well. Particularly applicable because the PD is a University PD. The size is not the reason for the for the lack of FTO's but because it is in transition from a 25 officer sworn public safety force to 25 officer police force. I think a lot of it is personal and being able to participate in investigations is big, and I think probably outweighs having a SWAT/SORT team for me.

However, I appreciate all of the comments many of the concerns are similar to mine and seeing them talked out a bit is helpful.

Thanks again!

Comment

Have you compared pay, benefits, retirement, etc? I imagine the college has tuition remission, so that may also factor in. Is it a state or private university and what is the residential population?
                  Last edited by just joe; 07-26-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I have, the UNI job pays a bit more and the benefits are comparable. I have my bachelors so the tuition remission is only important if they let me go to Law School, or if I decided to take a few classes and bump my minor to a second major. It is a Public UNI and with a large student population roughly 30K. I spent my undergrad there (3 Years) so I am familiar with the campus and the environment. This job is not likely my permanent career, though I don't take it for granted by any means, I want to be an ADA eventually. But in the event that I decide I can't get enough the retirement is pretty good through the same set up as the SO and either way I am vested in 5 years so I won't be wasting my time.

The other big factor is both have tons of overtime available/mandated which is important to me as I want to work, however the UNI even at full staffing will always lots of built in OT via sporting events and such whereas the SO only has lots of OT when they are critically understaffed as they are now.

Comment

So it really sounds like the positions are interchangeable with the exception of the SO job puts you in the jail for a few years whereas the PD job puts you out on the street NOW.

(Leaving out the tuition reimbursement----since that seems to be an after thought for you too)

So once again it really comes down to YOUR preference.

Comment

UNI PDs usually have a very generous financial assistance program. Around me, there are a couple that allow you to take a couple classes for free per semester with supervisor approval.

That being said, you could pursue your Graduate and/or some classes for personal development such as language classes.

Comment

It sounds like you more or less have your mind made up: you want to pursue the university PD position. Like others have said, however, you haven't been offered the position YET, so for now, stay at the sheriffs office. I will offer you some personal insight in regards to policing at a university. I have tried it and from my own personal experience, it wasn't for me. University policing is a VERY different kind of animal compared to other types of policing (municipal, county, state, etc). It takes a special kind of person to deal with the copious amounts of male cattle fecal matter that is spewed from multiple directions but primarily, from a vertical unilateral direction. Like you said, there will be overtime possibilities offered and you can't beat the scenery. Even if you aren't a religious person, you will be thanking God for his wonderful creations if you decide to work at the Uni PD---then you will curse him for having to deal with the stupidity that consumes some of these creations.

Comment

Be careful of working at universities if you want to do thorough investigations. A lot of universities would rather brush something under the rug if its a staff member or athlete.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Based on some conversations I have been privy to it looks like the SO is going to make my decision easy very soon, drop the hiring process or resign. A bit unexpected/out of the blue but it makes my decision easy as I have to stay where the job really is. I haven't gotten the ultimatum yet but I expect to be pulled aside in a day or two, so hopefully it is a choice and not a thank you for your time conversation.

Not performance based thankfully I am doing well on my FTO process and really enjoying the job. I do understand the SO's perspective.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5073 users online. 268 members and 4805 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X