Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I Get Hired

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right website for this topic, please ignore if I'm in the wrong area.

I'm a college student seeking employment with the county's detention center. I applied over a year and half ago and was called for a group interview with about forty other applicants (far too many, I know!).

I can understand why I wasn't hired back then, there were other applicants there that had more experience than myself. Well, the same agency is hiring again. It's a great pay for a part time college student. I applied the day it was posted. Now I wait until I hopefully get that call for an interview.

Since the previous interview, I've completed my associate degree in criminal justice. I am also PAR trained per state of Florida. I think this will for sure stand out this time.

During the last interview, they gave us a little test to complete. Had no problem with it until the last problem. After handing over the sheet, they tell us the last question determined whether or not they'd call us back. Here was the question:

You are driving a van with adolescents in the back. You're final destination will be the court house. En route, two youth begin arguing which escalates into a physical struggle.

Which of the following would be the best suited answer:

A: Pull the van over when it is safe, open the back door and physically separate the two youth.

B: Give verbal warnings until the youth settle down.

C: Ignore the situation.

Of course, it must be A or B. I selected A the first time. I had no clue if I was wrong or right! Any tips on getting hired would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Poppydog View Post
    Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right website for this topic, please ignore if I'm in the wrong area.

I'm a college student seeking employment with the county's detention center. I applied over a year and half ago and was called for a group interview with about forty other applicants (far too many, I know!).

I can understand why I wasn't hired back then, there were other applicants there that had more experience than myself. Well, the same agency is hiring again. It's a great pay for a part time college student. I applied the day it was posted. Now I wait until I hopefully get that call for an interview.

Since the previous interview, I've completed my associate degree in criminal justice. I am also PAR trained per state of Florida. I think this will for sure stand out this time.

During the last interview, they gave us a little test to complete. Had no problem with it until the last problem. After handing over the sheet, they tell us the last question determined whether or not they'd call us back. Here was the question:

You are driving a van with adolescents in the back. You're final destination will be the court house. En route, two youth begin arguing which escalates into a physical struggle.

A: Pull the van over when it is safe, open the back door and physically separate the two youth.

Of course, it must be A or B. I selected A the first time. I had no clue if I was wrong or right! Any tips on getting hired would be greatly appreciated.
    Had a similar question once for an interview for a licensed corrections officer position. In a situation like that I would stop and call for backup before I would open that door. Once you open that door you are one person against the group plus two of them are already amped up ready to fight. In my question one of the inmates was experiencing a "medical emergency". If this career path is meant to be I would plan on being patient. Here in Minnesota the average time to get a job out of college is 3-4 years with many taking 5+ years.
    "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppydog View Post
      Hi All,

I understand the reason for your question --------------------BUT

The panel doesn't want to hear the answer of experienced LEOs. They want to hear YOUR answer. Much of an interview is watching and listening to the thought processes of the candidate.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As has been accurately noted to you, the Oral Board wants to hear YOUR answer, not ours. What they want to do, is get a feel for how you think, and how you would apply logic and common sense to a given situation. The only person who can give them that answer is you.

Comment

Thanks All,

I understand they want me to demonstrate my abilities and knowledge. I was stuck on the question and was just simply curios as to what others may have selected.

I have been called for an interview for next week. So excited! I'm going to pull out some textbooks and get a refresher. Thanks again.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6621 users online. 361 members and 6260 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X