Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT test questions

Hello ladies and gents,

Just a quick question regarding entry PT tests. I am currently an officer in a department that has zero PT requirements. I try and get to the gym several times a week, but my downfall is I rarely do any cardio. When I went to academy 2 years ago I was running a mile around 7:30 and during academy I was hitting the 1.5 around 11:45.

I have since been diagnosed with a case of patrol ***. I have gained 10 pounds, some of which is muscle as I have continued my lifting regularly, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

I have applied at another department who has a mile time of 8:50 for a male of my age range. I did some jogging the last few weeks (after sundown because 100 degree days are insane) and went from a 9 minute mile to a 8:48. Needless to say I am feeling a little worried, and I am going to be stepping up my jogging for the next two weeks before the testing takes place.

I am 100 percent confident I am going to rock the pushups and setups, but that time disturbs me. As I come from a Dept with almost zero physical standards, I don't know what emphasis is put on PT results. If I run an 8:48 and squeak by, am I pretty much considered a fatty who got lucky or what? This is a weird feeling for me, as I've always been able to hit the requirements with relative ease, and the patrol lifestyle has really caught up with me, it seems.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Hanmo View Post
    Hello ladies and gents,

Just a quick question regarding entry PT tests. I am currently an officer in a department that has zero PT requirements. I try and get to the gym several times a week, but my downfall is I rarely do any cardio. When I went to academy 2 years ago I was running a mile around 7:30 and during academy I was hitting the 1.5 around 11:45.

I have since been diagnosed with a case of patrol ***. I have gained 10 pounds, some of which is muscle as I have continued my lifting regularly, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

I have applied at another department who has a mile time of 8:50 for a male of my age range. I did some jogging the last few weeks (after sundown because 100 degree days are insane) and went from a 9 minute mile to a 8:48. Needless to say I am feeling a little worried, and I am going to be stepping up my jogging for the next two weeks before the testing takes place.

I am 100 percent confident I am going to rock the pushups and setups, but that time disturbs me. As I come from a Dept with almost zero physical standards, I don't know what emphasis is put on PT results. If I run an 8:48 and squeak by, am I pretty much considered a fatty who got lucky or what? This is a weird feeling for me, as I've always been able to hit the requirements with relative ease, and the patrol lifestyle has really caught up with me, it seems.

Thoughts?

MOST and I repeat MOST agencies are pass/fail in the PT testing.

But that ALSO means if you run it in 8:51 you are toast.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If they give you an allotted time to do the run in, and you complete said run in that allotted time period, that would be a pass in my book. I can't think of a department that only employs officers who are in "marathon shape". In any case, I'm sure some of the officers at the agency you are applying to have settled into that same "patrol lifestyle" as well.

Comment

Generally the PT test is pass/fail. They may not even record your results beyond that.

Now, if the department has a bunch of former Army Rangers on staff things may be different but generally the test has to be the same for all persons performing the same job description: male/female, age, etc.

In any case, as long as you pass you should be good. Nobody aces everything.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I decided to try and push it hard this evening and clocked a 8:18. I then sat on a rock and questioned whether hell was a metaphor for running hard.

Comment

Most agencies around here give PT tests and it involves a minimum of 11:58 1.5 for the youngest male group.

That being said, they're usually pass/fail and that's all they write down, so an 11:58 is as good as a 9:00.
            West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
            Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
            Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

As others have said, PT tests are usually a P/F deal BUT for some there's the "unofficial" evaluation. For example, if you run an 8:48 & I run an 8:00 & there's only one opening, all else being equal, who do think they're going to pick? The reasoning is simple: they want to insure you'll make it through the Academy reliably. If it were me, I'd be concentrating on my running while at least manintaining your current muscularity. The fact is you'll probably lose some strength while emphasising running & like most cops, it's more fun to lift than run so you need to be aware of that & maintain focus on your routine

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5829 users online. 317 members and 5512 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X