300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application Question

I filled out an online application with a local PD. One of the things the application asked was "If you have a current email address, please indicate the correct address:", however there was no text box for me to give my e-mail address so I just kept going with the application. What should I do about this? Usually the departments keep in contact with you over this website we submit applications on, but I don't want them to think I forgot to answer that bit of information on the application. Thanks for any insight.

Contact your POC and let them know. It might just be an error on their part.

When I first got hired and received a application packet, I had to get a form signed by a doctor saying that I was physically fit to perform the required Physical Agility Test. Well, I found that there was nothing explaining what the physical test consisted of... so I contacted my recruiter and he thanked me because he had never noticed it before and subsequently made a form explaining the physical agility test, so that it could be included with the form for physicians to sign.

Comment

Ask. This is one of those times you should.

Comment

I'll give the PD a call and let them know.

Comment

Just got off the phone with them and the person I spoke with gave me their e-mail address so I can e-mail them about what the issue was, along with my e-mail address. She said if I make it to the orals they will just attached that bit of info to my application. She said it wasn't a big issue, I guess, but it's one of those things that I'd rather be safe than sorry so I'm glad I called anyway. They're going to call IT and get that issue on the application squared away. Pretty much just as Caballero described, good call. Thank you both for your help!
          Last edited by NextGenOfc; 07-18-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Just got a packet in the mail for a local PD I applied to in regards to an oral board on August 4th. This will be my first oral board so I'm already nervous haha. I'm going through books and going through some old college stuff about what to expect on oral boards and some common questions asked. Any final advice is much appreciated!

Comment

I suggest reading the mission statement of the agency that you are applying to and memorizing it. Every agency has some sort of ethos / core values and guiding statement which is their creed. Determine how you meet their creed and reflect on how you demonstrate their values.

When you come into the interview and they ask you "why do you want to work here?" or "why do you want to be a police officer?" or something along those lines, you can recite their mission statement, or their core values, etc. and then incorporate how you already live by those standards.

It'll get you brownie points. I'm not on a hiring board, but I do help out with Recruiting.

For an example of a mission statement:

"It is the mission of the Los Angeles Police Department to safeguard the lives and property of the people we serve, to reduce the incidence and fear of crime, and to enhance public safety while working with the diverse communities to improve their quality of life. Our mandate is to do so with honor and integrity, while at all times conducting ourselves with the highest ethical standards to maintain public confidence. " - LAPD Website.

So if you've never been a cop, you probably don't have any background of "reducing the incidence and fear of crime," however, you can think of how you live with honor, integrity and high ethical standards.
              Last edited by Caballero1508; 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. I will certainly take a look at their mission statement and figure out where I can fit in with it.

Comment

If it were me, I would continue filling out the application until I reached the end. Then, at the end of the application, I would put "If you're going to ask me to put my email address down, at least provide a box for me to write it in. Do your job!" Then I would write my email address in big bold letters at the end. Doing this will notify them of the error that they themselves made on the application and that because of your innate, astute ability, you were able to locate the error. Who knows, maybe they've organized it such that the first hundred people who discover the error and call them out on it, automatically get a spot in the academy, regardless of what their background reveals...

Seriously though, call and ask them.
                  Last edited by Ptrlmn B; 07-21-2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I had a similar situation with a local PD I applied for here. They had an online form to fill out a pre-application, but the calendar button to select your DOB was corrupted and wouldn't let you pick it and you couldn't enter it manually.

I emailed their main email listed on their website about the issue. They never responded to my email but I noticed the issue was fixed later that day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5946 users online. 337 members and 5609 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X