300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My background

So this is just a quick profile of me(purely so I can know what to expect while going through sjpd backgrounds)

I am 22 years old, I have been either a full time student or part time student/working at moderate to high responsibility jobs since age 17. I've never paid rent anywhere( lucky enough to have parents who'll put me up) I currently work for a local police department as a non sworn cadet. I take cold reports and write parking citations as well as other support services. My evaluation history is satisfactory
    My credit is rated at okay, I have no negative events in my credit history.
    I have no criminal issues aside from a small theft before age 15. I have stellar references and a track record of good decision making.

In short, positives
    -Drive, dedication to law enforcement career
    -high WSTB, oral boardand T score
    -no drug use(no marijuana or anything else)
    -experience in LE environment, strong ability to resolve conflicts and remain calm in charged circumstances

Cons
    -somewhat weak credit
    -no history of paying bills or rent
    -no college degree or military service

Anyway does anyone see any glaring issues that will cripple me in this process? Tips? Thanks in advance!!

Originally posted by ntsia091 View Post
    So this is just a quick profile of me(purely so I can know what to expect while going through sjpd backgrounds)

I am 22 years old, I have been either a full time student or part time student/working at moderate to high responsibility jobs since age 17. I've never paid rent anywhere( lucky enough to have parents who'll put me up) I currently work for a local police department as a non sworn cadet. I take cold reports and write parking citations as well as other support services. My evaluation history is satisfactory
    My credit is rated at okay, I have no negative events in my credit history.
    I have no criminal issues aside from a small theft before age 15. I have stellar references and a track record of good decision making.

In short, positives
    -Drive, dedication to law enforcement career
    -high WSTB, oral boardand T score
    -no drug use(no marijuana or anything else)
    -experience in LE environment, strong ability to resolve conflicts and remain calm in charged circumstances

Cons
    -somewhat weak credit
    -no history of paying bills or rent
    -no college degree or military service

Anyway does anyone see any glaring issues that will cripple me in this process? Tips? Thanks in advance!!
    Nothing glaring one way or the other

"satisfactory ' job performance from the Police Department job isn't a good thing-------------------If I was looking to be a cop and was able to get a paid job from an agency----------I would work for an OUTSTANDING ratinnng
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I see MAJOR glaring issues. As soon as I see "no degree/no military" I would shred your application to be honest. The majority of departments require 60 credits to even APPLY, let alone get hired. Some departments are beginning to require Bachelor's. One can often make up for lack of a degree with military experience, but you have none. I honestly just don't see what you bring to the table here that even makes you a mediocre candidate. Do you realize how competitive it is to get hired in LE?

All that being said, these are things that you can change. And I firmly believe that if you don't improve this resume, you will not get a chance.

Comment

How many college credits do you have? What jobs have you had and how long did you hold them? How long have you been a cadet? Does the agency hire oficers from the cadets ranks?

Comment

I see nothing that makes you anything but an average applicant. You're a little vague concerning your credit. If you presently have no credit history, that's OK, although a little unusual. OTH, if you have a credit history with late payments, charge offs, referral to collections agencies etc, that will be a problem.

Lacking any college credits will not be a plus. Military service, while not a requirement, is often a very desirable aspect of an applicant's history. For you to have a substantial shot at employment in this profession, I suggest you enroll in college and obtain an Associate's Degree at the very minimum.

Comment

@OfficerBarbrady-I have been in College and currently hold 41 Semester units...Barebones minimum for SJPD I understand and agree about making myself competitive. I'm currently still in school, working towards a bachelors. I've also shown self sufficiency(live on my own, pay bills on time etc. etc.) I've passed my backgrounds with the agency I work at now.

@Iowa#1603-The performance reviews I was referencing for my previous job, as a Clerk at a hotel. I've interviewed for officer at my current agency and made it into the top 5 in command staff interviews. the people who got the spot were-you guessed it, degree holders and ex military.

@just joe- 41 semester credits, all recieved while working full time.

@PhillipCal-I have a credit history and I make all my payments on time, meaning i've shown a trend of responsible financial decisions.

Thanks all for the Feedback. Keep it coming!

Comment

Question. I applied at Los Angeles sheriff. I am about to have my bachelors degree and I have a clean record. The thing is, I have recreationally used opiated and quit over 2 years ago. Is it even worth applying ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gallard91 View Post
                Question. I applied at Los Angeles sheriff. I am about to have my bachelors degree and I have a clean record. The thing is, I have recreationally used opiated and quit over 2 years ago. Is it even worth applying ?
                Don't hijack other people's threads. No, don't waste anyone's time. You are an auto DQ.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  Don't hijack other people's threads. No, don't waste anyone's time. You are an auto DQ.
                  Pretty much auto DQ with opiate usage
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

@OfficerBarbrady-I have been in College and currently hold 41 Semester units...Barebones minimum for SJPD I understand and agree about making myself competitive. I'm currently still in school, working towards a bachelors. I've also shown self sufficiency(live on my own, pay bills on time etc. etc.) I've passed my backgrounds with the agency I work at now.

@Iowa#1603-The performance reviews I was referencing for my previous job, as a Clerk at a hotel. I've interviewed for officer at my current agency and made it into the top 5 in command staff interviews. the people who got the spot were-you guessed it, degree holders and ex military.

@just joe- 41 semester credits, all recieved while working full time.

@PhillipCal-I have a credit history and I make all my payments on time, meaning i've shown a trend of responsible financial decisions.

Thanks all for the Feedback. Keep it coming!
                    So with all of that you pretty much barely meet minimum qualifications and still have only a "satisfactory" work evaluation history.

You still don't come close to standing out from the crowd and like OfficerBarbrady stated are a mediocre candidate at best.

I've passed my backgrounds with the agency I work at now
                    Please understand that the background for a NON SWORN cadet is NOTHING like the background for a sworn peace officer............

Comment

You're toast. Don't bother.

Comment

Nothing crippling, but nothing outstanding either.

The cadet position probably will help you with that agency, might help with others but finishing your degree will be a definite plus.

Most of your competitors will be older, with four year degrees AND military service... and many will have some level of service-incurred disability as well, which can give them an additional leg up.

What is it about YOU that puts you in front of a 26-28 year old with 4+ years of honorable military service and an AA or BA degree?

Your only real advantage is the cadet job. Max that out: do as much as you can, get exposed to as much as you can, "satisfactory" performance ratings for writing parking tickets probably won't cut it against a former Army Sergeant with an AA and three tours in the 'stan under his belt.

Enlisting in the Guard or Reserve might be an option. Don't do it just to pad your resume, but if you've been considering it anyway that would be a big help. Not an advantage, but it would put you on par with your competitors.

Then, if you have military service, an AA (pursuing the BA _AND_ you've been a paid cadet... that would be a tidy application package.

Question: You're about to finish a degree and you write like that?

Oh, my aching country...

ETA: Oh yeah... auto DQ here.
                        Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Fantastic replies. Guess it's back to the grindstone. I'll finish out this background process for the practice and come back in a few years with a degree. Thanks all!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6352 users online. 344 members and 6008 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X