300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding DQ - PLEASE HELP

Hi, I have a question regarding the background phase where you fill out the packet and there's a section that asks you to list all the agencies you've applied for. I have been DQ'ed by LAPD about 4 years ago and have been trying to get hired to other places since. Seems like whenever I get to backgrounds I'm being non-selected for some reason. I was wondering if my DQ from LAPD has anything to do with it. If so, I was wondering if I should just not put down that DQ for future applications. Which would be better for me? To omit or not omit?
    Last edited by futur3cop; 07-06-2014, 05:59 PM.

Lying is an auto DQ. If you can't be trusted to fill out some paperwork you sure as hell can't be trusted to do anything else.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Well technically I'm not lying I was just wondering if I shouldn't list it. IF they asked me if I ever applied to LAPD or if I was ever DQ'ed I would answer. But either way you're right, I guess I'll just have to keep trying with that monkey on my back.

Comment

Second post...

Originally posted by futur3cop View Post
        Well technically I'm not lying I was just wondering if I shouldn't list it. IF they asked me if I ever applied to LAPD or if I was ever DQ'ed I would answer. But either way you're right, I guess I'll just have to keep trying with that monkey on my back.
        Which follows up the first post, where you say...

Hi, I have a question regarding the background phase where you fill out the packet and there's a section that asks you to list all the agencies you've applied for.
        How isn't it lying? Especially "technically"? Lying isn't only possible by telling something that is untrue. You can also do it--and I'd say it's more commonly done--by omission. The fact that you're considering doing something that's counter to what you're told to do during the application process--and somehow in your own mind coming up with an explanation you deem "technically" acceptable--might be indicative of your problem.

I'm not one to throw stones, but I will follow-up with what JDCOP said and advise that the directions aren't suggestions. If you can't follow them verbatim, your odds of success are low.

Comment

Hi, I have a question regarding the background phase where you fill out the packet and there's a section that asks you to list all the agencies you've applied for. I have been DQ'ed by LAPD about 4 years ago and have been trying to get hired to other places since. Seems like whenever I get to backgrounds I'm being non-selected for some reason. I was wondering if my DQ from LAPD has anything to do with it. If so, I was wondering if I should just not put down that DQ for future applications. Which would be better for me? To omit or not omit?
          It's always better to lie. You bafoon.

Comment

I believe during my hiring process, I was asked on three different occasions after the initial personal history questionnaire, to list each agency and what the outcome was, including at both the polygraph stage and psychological interview stage.

They will catch you if you omit or lie about anything.
            Last edited by Flash2pablo; 07-01-2014, 06:05 PM. Reason: for clarity

Comment

WRONG. You ARE lying. In any hiring process an omission counts as much as a lie. It IS really that simple. In any future applications you submit, you'll need to state that you were either DQ'd or Non Selected by LAPD.

For your own good, you should attempt to determine whether or not you were DQ'd or simply Non-Selected. I mention this as there is a world of difference between the two.

In any event, you should NEVER even remotely consider lying. Remember too, that if you omit a material fact, it is the same as lying. That could make the difference in whether or not you'll ever be hired in this profession. Personal integrity is at the basis of all we do.

Comment

Being DQ'ed from LAPD does not, in and of itself, mean you'll never be hired by anyone else. There are many, many people who don't get hired by LAPD and end up working for another agency. In fact, many agencies look forward to taking those, whom the LAPD overlooked.

When asked a question in any process for a cop job, YOU TELL THE TRUTH, or face the consequences.

There is no way, however, that as wise and all-knowing as this group is, we might possibly know the real, deep down reason you get overlooked. All you can do is be the best candidate you can be and keep trying until it starts to affect your physical or mental health.
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

You are not being non-selected simply because another dept DQ'd you however, what caused LA to DQ you may be causing you problems elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    You are not being non-selected simply because another dept DQ'd you however, what caused LA to DQ you may be causing you problems elsewhere.
                    I feel like the DQ is really screwing me over or it might just be simply that it wasn't meant to be and I need to keep trying elsewhere. For example the last department I made it to backgrounds with, I submitted my packet and met my B.I., everything was going smooth until I received a letter of non-select before I even took a polygraph or anything else. So could that be because of my DQ or was I just simply bumped for someone else that may have a better resume?

Comment

Whatever DQ'd you with LAPD may be a career killer but, again, that is because of the issue, not because you weren't hired by LAPD. Plenty of officers have been DQ'd or non-selects at one dept (or more) and have been picked up someplace else. Some background issues will end a career before it even starts.

Comment

I feel like the DQ is really screwing me over or it might just be simply that it wasn't meant to be and I need to keep trying elsewhere. For example the last department I made it to backgrounds with, I submitted my packet and met my B.I., everything was going smooth until I received a letter of non-select before I even took a polygraph or anything else. So could that be because of my DQ or was I just simply bumped for someone else that may have a better resume?

I don't think you're fully comprehending what we're trying to get over to you. Read Keith's thoughts once more.

Based on your most recent offering (Post#10) I'm beginning to sense that there might be an issue in your background. When all the smoke clears and the dust settles, you know that background far better than any of us. You should be aware of any issues which might be causing you problems.

No one here expects you to "go public" with any possible issues you might have. Weigh them against a given department's published standards and make a decision from there.

Comment

I guess you had your fingerprints done when you processed with LAPD, right? if so there is a record of that. Suppose you don't list LAPD with Dep XYZ, you make it to finger print time. When they run your prints it will show that LAPD ran your prints prior and for what reason. You will get an automatic DQ from Dept XYZ and just about any other department here on out. You might want to see why you were DQ'd from LAPD.

If you live in CA and have been DQ'd by LAPD LASD or CHP it is tough to get hired on else where. For some reason other departments hold those three departments as top dogs. And if they wont take you many others wont either. You may have to try else where.
                          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Which would be better for me? To omit or not omit?
                            The fact you're considering lying on your background is a pretty good indicator why you were DQed in the first place...

technically I'm not lying
                            Not knowing the difference between a lie and the truth is a pretty good indicator why you were DQed in the first place...

the DQ is really screwing me over
                            You know why you were DQed. A disqualification isn't just a non-select, it means you did something in the past or in the selection process that makes you unsuitable to wear a badge.

That reason is still out there. It isn't going away.

YOU screwed you over. Nobody else.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Tanksoldiers response sums it up. Nothing else needs to be said.
                              In God We Trust
                              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4672 users online. 256 members and 4416 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X