Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my past transgressions end my career in Law Enforcement before it even begins?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my past transgressions end my career in Law Enforcement before it even begins?

Good evening guys. First off, i just wanted to say what a wonderful place this forum is. I am elated a resource like this exists, and i look forward to learning as much as i can from the big brains on the board as i possibly can. I also must apologize in advance for the long read.

My name is Jake. I am Twenty Five years old and have long been interested in law enforcement, and have always admired and respected those that work in the field.

I am currently enrolled in College and will be finishing in May of 2015. I have studied an array of subjects, but most prominently US Government, Spanish, and just about any History class i can get my hands on.

After finishing school (Age 26), i plan to put in my application with Texas DPS for the position of State Trooper. I can honestly say, it's my dream job. I can't and haven't been able to get it off my mind for years. When i see DPS on the Interstate, or highway i get the biggest grin i could imagine anyone getting. Heck, i even have dreams about the job as silly as that sounds.

Before starting school again one year ago, my father had intended and offered to hand over the very lucrative family business to me, the eldest son. As much as i sometimes enjoy his line of work, i personally cannot see myself being happy doing what he does for the rest of my career. I honestly don't care how much less money i would be making with DPS, i sincerely want to help, protect and serve the people of Texas. As cliche as it must sound, i believe i have found my calling.

That said, as a youngster there are several things i am concerned about and am hoping they don't end my career, even before it can begin. I will be 100% honest, and straightforward here. These are things i am not proud of, but things i do take full responsibility for:

Age 14: At the end of one school year, some of my friends broke into an abandoned workshop (Rural area), then came to school and told me about it. I told them what they did was wrong, and how crazy they were for doing it. That weekend i was at one of their houses when a few other friends showed up wanting to show me the building. I caved, and followed them there. Once we showed up, we walked in and they had destroyed the toilet, sink, several mirrors and the front door. In a lapse of judgement, i got caught up in the moment and broke a jar of strawberry preserves on the concrete work floor.

A week goes by, and they get caught. They give up my name as one of the people who had damaged something and our parents rounded us up, and called a local police officer who scared the whits out of us all. No charges, citations, arrests were made. Just a very stern talking to. We spent most of that Summer cleaning and repairing the building, and also paying for the damages ourselves.

Age 17: By this time i had evolved into my teen angst/rebellion phase.

Incident #1-I smoked marijuana a total of four (4) times. Twice after school, once with a girl i was trying to impress, and my last instance which i will list below.

After school one day, i get invited to a friends house to hang out in a residential section of a small town (Approx. 2000 citizens) where we all went to high school. We get to talking and one thing leads to another and before i know it we are all sharing a joint in his shed in his back yard. 15 minutes pass by, and all of a sudden we hear a knock on the shed door. I answer it and it is a local City police officer telling us all to exit the shed. He smells the MJ in the air, and searches all five of us one by one. He finds nothing on me, as i was not a regular smoker and never actually purchased any MJ in my life. However, he does find a joint on my friend and issues him a citation. No one else was ticketed, or cited. Our parents were called, and we were picked up.

I received a stern talking to, and a good life lesson. Since then, i haven't touched the stuff.

Age 17: Incident #2 Received speeding ticket in the same small town, worked it off in community service. Washed all the police cars, painted some fence, mowed the town, and patched some pot holes.

Age 18: I received a speeding ticket in Tulsa, OK where i was living at the time. The police officer was very kind, and wrote what time and date my court appearance would be on the ticket. In a major lapse of judgement, i forgot about the ticket and soon found out i had a bench warrant out for my arrest for failure to show for court. I did get it taken care of immediately after finding out i had a warrant.

Since that time, i have been stopped a total of three times. All were verbal warnings. One for speeding 64MPH in a 55MPH zone. One for speeding 73MPH in a 65MPH zone and one for having a tag light out.

I know DPS has strict requirements, and want the best of the best. I'm somewhat concerned that my prior history may be seen as a red flag during a background investigation and hopefully will not DQ me for a mistake i made many moons ago.

I have been in zero accidents, have a great credit rating, and excellent work history. I also believe i exhibit some valuable personality traits such as honesty, ethics, hard work, maturity and humanity.

Again, sorry for the long post. I very much appreciate and value your input here. Even if it is something negative, i certainly want to hear what the professionals have to say.

Thank you for your time gentlemen!

Jake
    Last edited by JS334; 06-25-2014, 07:23 AM.

Your biggest obstacle is the arrest warrant thing. You took care of it immediately and it was seven years ago. I don't read anything there that would be an automatic DQ, just make sure you tell your background investigator everything.

None of us here can tell you if you will be hired, the only way you will find out is to try. This is a very competitive field, so put your app in and give it a go. That is the first step in a very long process to get hired.

Good luck,

Covman

Comment

I agree with Covman. I do not see any DQs here, but I don't see you beingvatvthe top of the list either. Troopers are some squared away individuals and getting hired by DPS is TOUGH under the best of circumstances. You might want to consider other options in LE as well. Get your foot in the door first and pursue your dream from there.
      In God We Trust
      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I am going to agree with Covman and Lady Blue as not seeing any automatic disqualifications here.

Your background is "sketchy" and will give an investigator fits tracking down all the convolutions of your past. But that makes for an interesting day or to for him/her

I am more worried about your attempts at minimizing your actions when relating those incidents. As a police supervisor /administrator and MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY as a background investigator, I don't want to hear that.

I want to hear you saying what you did and taking full responsibility for it WITHOUT telling me how wrong you were or how much you know you shouldn't have done it.......

Any brownie points you get for tell me about your misdeeds are going to be canceled by your tales of "woe is me" and " I was talked into it"
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

This won't be as long a read as was yours. In common with my colleagues, I don't see any "Automatic DQ's" in your resume.

What I do see is a dump truck full of total B.S. as in minimization and justification. You did it (the screw ups). You own them. They're yours. Acknowledge that fact and you might have a shot. Shoot this crap to a background investigator or in an interview, and you can plan on doing something else for a living for the forseeable future.

While Texas DPS is indeed a very fine agency, don't limit yourself to them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            I am going to agree with Covman and Lady Blue as not seeing any automatic disqualifications here.

Your background is "sketchy" and will give an investigator fits tracking down all the convolutions of your past. But that makes for an interesting day or to for him/her

I am more worried about your attempts at minimizing your actions when relating those incidents. As a police supervisor /administrator and MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY as a background investigator, I don't want to hear that.

I want to hear you saying what you did and taking full responsibility for it WITHOUT telling me how wrong you were or how much you know you shouldn't have done it.......

Any brownie points you get for tell me about your misdeeds are going to be canceled by your tales of "woe is me" and " I was talked into it"
            Iowa,

So the best course of action would be to tell them what i did, own it and leave it at that? Would giving an example of how my misdeeds have actually effected me in a positive manner be something they would want to hear?

I absolutely understand nobody made me do any of the above. They were all my choices made at my own free will.

I can also guarantee i will be 100% honest with my BI, and will not try and hide or cover up a single thing. I want to literally be an open book of sorts, showing complete transparency to him and the agency.

One more question: In searching the board and on other threads i've seen several people say "Don't volunteer too much information. You would be surprised how many guys get the DQ for doing so"

I'm not sure exactly what that means, can anyone clarify?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time out of your day to post. It means a lot.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by JS334 View Post
              Iowa,

So the best course of action would be to tell them what i did, own it and leave it at that?
              Yep.............................
              Would giving an example of how my misdeeds have actually effected me in a positive manner be something they would want to hear?
              I could really care less ----I want to know what you have done. Anything else I can tell by your remaining background .

In other words----------your past will be an indicator of your future. If you have a couple hiccupps (not major ones) and then moved on when you matured, most likely you will continue to make mature choices.

One more question: In searching the board and on other threads i've seen several people say "Don't volunteer too much information. You would be surprised how many guys get the DQ for doing so"
              I do not subscribe to that theory.

If you don't tell me something about your past that is "shady" and I FIND OUT about it during my investigation------I will consider you to have lied by omission

That won't bode well for you
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Yep.............................

I could really care less ----I want to know what you have done. Anything else I can tell by your remaining background .

In other words----------your past will be an indicator of your future. If you have a couple hiccupps (not major ones) and then moved on when you matured, most likely you will continue to make mature choices.

I do not subscribe to that theory.

If you don't tell me something about your past that is "shady" and I FIND OUT about it during my investigation------I will consider you to have lied by omission

That won't bode well for you

Excellent. Thank you very much Iowa, your input here has been invaluable to me.

Jake

Comment

This is your biggest obstacle. The world, especially the Law Enforcement world, is not made up of men.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post

This is your biggest obstacle. The world, especially the Law Enforcement world, is not made up of men.
                    Yeah, I was going to offer some thoughts, but I'll pass on this one.
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                      Yeah, I was going to offer some thoughts, but I'll pass on this one.
                      Same here. I had some additional thoughts and a suggestion to pass along, butvthey can wait.
                      In God We Trust
                      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post

Sorry for not recognizing that some of you fine folks are women, i sincerely not mean to offend anyone here.

I went by content of the posts, and did not realize who i was speaking with. Very sorry.

I would absolutely love what you have to say, your input is just as valuable as anyone else's.

Jake

Comment

Okay. I think we forgive you for your latest transgression.

I like that you did not chalk up your MJ use to "experimentation". Did it to "impress a girl" is relatable at that age.

Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5073 users online. 288 members and 4785 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X