300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Board Interview

I have an interview with a local PD in two days. It will be my first time participating in an oral board interview so I'm not sure what to expect making me somewhat nervous, naturally. Just trying to get some advice from some of the senior guys on here. I'm 20 years old but I do have my B.A. along with a lot of extracurricular duties/achievements. I think the thing that sets me back compared to others is how young I look. I also have a few friends that work for the same department that I am interviewing with and they have all said that my lack of "life experience" could be an issue.. Any advice on how I can overcome these things? Thanks in advance.

This is what many orals score you on. Think about these areas now and be prepared.

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

In addition to the previous post, have knowledge about the department, the community it serves, and do your best to apply the experience you have now as life experience. A degree shows the ability to learn, time management and discipline.

Comment

Knee pads.

Comment

Thanks L-1 and jrd, I appreciate the response.

Comment

Originally posted by doeJohn7 View Post
            Thanks L-1 and jrd, I appreciate the response.
            I take it that you did not find Michigan's answer nearly as useful?
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Funny, but not useful.

Comment

I don't know. I gave the "official" answer. Michigan gave the real life answer.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                    It worked for me.
                    I heard you weren't that good------------------but adequate is sometimes enough
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      I heard you weren't that good------------------but adequate is sometimes enough
                      Adequate is all you need with it comes to being on your knees.

Comment

Roger that. I've spent considerable time in that particular position. That's when I wasn't leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

Comment

made it to command staff interview and now I am on an eligibility list... only two people received background packets out of the 30 that interviewed. the rest of the people that made it to command staff were placed on eligibility list.

Comment

Originally posted by doeJohn7 View Post
                            made it to command staff interview and now I am on an eligibility list... only two people received background packets out of the 30 that interviewed. the rest of the people that made it to command staff were placed on eligibility list.
                            Actually that is pretty good.......................

The bottom line is that getting hired in LE is a crapshoot nowdays. MOST people spend 3-5 yrs and 10+ applications before they are hired.

I would say for the most part that your age is a major factor (not just because you LOOK young-----YOU ARE YOUNG)

You have plenty of time to get some work experience and get hired .-----Good Luck
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks Iowa, I have another question if you don't mind. I plan on applying with other departments in the area and I was wondering if I should tell them that I'm on an eligibility list for another department? Would they view this as a positive or negative?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5683 users online. 309 members and 5374 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X