300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which degree should I major in?

I just graduated high school and am currently planning on going to community college for one year and then transferring over to USC (a lot of my family went their including my dad). So far I am taking an accounting class over summer before the real school year starts next fall at CC. I've been told by a few officers that they recommend Business Administration. One officer even told me he recommends Business Administration with an emphasis on computer science. I am going to CC in Los Angeles and will apply to become an LAPD cadet while I'm in school also. Do you officers recommend Business Administration also? Are there any current or former officers for the LAPD that have any insight on what that department is particularly interested in for degrees? Thank you in advance.

Search the forums as this topic has been discussed over and over again.

My advice is to get a degree in a subject you find enjoyable, not what you have "heard" is the right thing to get a degree in. There are several reasons for this. LE is multidisciplinary meaning that the skills required for LE are varied. The second main reason is you are more likely to complete you degree if the topic is interesting to you. Completing your degree shows you can finish what you started.

Again, search the forums and you will find the answer to your question, or many answers to your questions.

Covman

Comment

Many times even quality applicants take years to find a job in this field and some never do. Study something that will benefit you in the private sector as well.
      In God We Trust
      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

As others have said, study something that YOU are interested in, and also will help you in the PRIVATE sector in case you do not get hired, or get fired/injured ect with not enough time on to retire.

More agencies that want a college degree could care less what the degree is for
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Also, DO NOT apply to any agencies until you are about to FINISH your college degree.....it is extremely difficult to do while employed as a cop (and impossible to do while in the academy)....you will be working rotating days off/shifts ect....never mind court
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Underwater Basket Weaving with an emphasis on fancy designs
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Study what you want to study. This topic comes up all of the time, so use the search function and read the responses.

Comment

Go for a degree in a field you see yourself working in if, for whatever reason, you never become a police officer. I chose business administration because business interests me (besides criminal justice, of course!) If history interests you, go for history. If you're a math wiz, go for math! It's always a great idea to have a back up plan.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3165 users online. 184 members and 2981 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X