300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mispronounce your name

is it proper to correct the interviewer if they mispronounce your name before, during, and after an interview?
    or will the correction spin the interview on a tangent?

For those who have experienced this or can share food for thought.

Thank You

Its absolutely fine to correct them then and there. It is not uncommon for folks to attempt to pronounce a difficult name with an obvious "how do you say it" look.

Simple and direct-

Interviewer: Welcome Mr. Zaaaazowooo-skiski-rootie-wahoooooooooo?

You: (with a smile) Its Zazoskiroti. No worries, I get that all the time.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I would correct the mispronunciation ONCE. Much like sgtjon suggested.

Actually with a "uncommon" name (either first or last name) I would at the beginning of the interview "introduce my self" clearly pronouncing the name

"Hi, my name is Marek Zazoskiroti, don't worry it is often mispronouced so if you have trouble with it.....I'll know who you are talking to " THAT said with a smile could be a good ice breaker in an interview
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        I would correct the mispronunciation ONCE. Much like sgtjon suggested.
        Until you actually get into the academy. At that point, your name is whatever the hell the instructors feel like calling you. I do not suggest correcting them. I made that mistake.

Comment

If we don't know how to pronounce your name, we will ask. If it is a dificult name, we will probably still get it wrong. If they don't ask and get it wrong, correct them the first time and then let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
            Until you actually get into the academy. At that point, your name is whatever the hell the instructors feel like calling you. I do not suggest correcting them. I made that mistake.
            Was your name then changed to "Hey ****forbrains!"
            I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post

We had a "Dufus" and a "***** for Brains" in mine
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

My name was my name- prefaced with a groaning "there is a name to my pain and its"
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                  Even worse.. the instructor said nothing at all. He just gave me "the look." Fortunately, there were even bigger f- ups than myself who soon got all the special attention.

Comment

Introduce yourself with the correct pronunciation. Realize no one cares about your name. Until you're hired, you're referred to as "that guy from the this or that department" or "that guy from the FBI" or "that military vet" or if you're unlucky, "that guy with the huge ears" or " that idiot who wore jeans" or " that guy who had ketchup on his tie ".

Names? No one will ever remember your name during the interview process. The one guy who will know your name and say it often is your background investigator. You can fill him in if you get that far. .

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                      He just gave me "the look." Fortunately, there were even bigger f- ups than myself who soon got all the special attention.
                      You ALWAYS hope there is someone else who has worse luck.

Under NO circumstances do you want to be "That Guy"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6353 users online. 351 members and 6002 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X