300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost for Reserves?

I was doing some research and saw one department required a $600.00 fee if a RESERVE applicant moved onto the background phase. Is this common? This is the first time I've seen this.

Holy cow! I've never heard of such a thing.

Comment

It is understandable

A background investigation is expensive.

For a full time paid officer, the agency is justified in paying for that expense. A reserve IN MANY PLACES must provide all their uniforms, weapons, & equipment-------so requiring them to foot the bill for the cost of a background investigation is plausable.

To answer your question---------------------it is not "common" but I wouldn't question the agency that chose to go that way
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I wasn't meaning to question the agency at all. I had just never seen/heard of this before and was curious if this was a common thing for Reserves. But it sounds like most reserves have to pay for things unlike paid officers.

Comment

Probably not all that common, but as has been noted to you Background Investigations can be rather expensive. Contrary to what you might hear from the "Administration" and the so-called media,public budgets are still very tight.

The $600 fee does seem a little steep, but it's probably the figure that agency reckons it costs to run a comprehensive Background Investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            The $600 fee does seem a little steep, but it's probably the figure that agency reckons it costs to run a comprehensive Background Investigation.
            I would imagine the cost of a "comprehensive" BI would include the wages of a (at least) Sgt for a minimum of 40 hours. I would think this 40 hrs would be average to read, call, drive to interview and write up a "normal" Background. A complicated BI could be even more labor intensive.

Then you get into Credit reports, Criminal History Checks etc------

I dont' really think if you figure the labor into the calculations that $600 would be out of line for total costs
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

FWIW the current "estimate" for OPM to complete the required checks for a secret clearance is somewhere in the neighborhood of $300.00, though other estimates run into the thousands of dollars. And mind you, this is for OPM (or contracted services) who run thousands of backgrounds through on a daily basis.
              Originally posted by SSD
              It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
              And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4932 users online. 272 members and 4660 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X