300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Investigation question.

I am currently in backgrounds and have been so for about 6 weeks. My being overly anxious is getting the best of me so I have to ask some questions.

1. Not hearing from your investigator, can I assume this is a good thing?

2. I was given an approximate timeline as to when he would be done and that time will be up soon. My references have not been contacted. Is this normal this far into the backgrounds?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by SleeperGT View Post
    I am currently in backgrounds and have been so for about 6 weeks. My being overly anxious is getting the best of me so I have to ask some questions.

1. Not hearing from your investigator, can I assume this is a good thing?

2. I was given an approximate timeline as to when he would be done and that time will be up soon. My references have not been contacted. Is this normal this far into the backgrounds?

Thanks in advance!
    It depends on such a number of factors that it is impossible to tell you one way or another.

Often times the BI will wait until they are done to run down any potential issues with you, so not hearing until near or at the end of the projected "window" may or may not be an indicator.

Lots of folks have a follow-up with the BI to resolve any number of things.

You were given an "approximate" timeline. While this may be tied to an academy or projected hire date, this is often in flux.

Often an agency will batch applications. X number move through the process and sit in a holding pattern until everyone catches up. Then that batch moves to the next stage and holds. Rinse and repeat.

Few applications disappear. Most agencies utilize a tracking system- from initial intake to status updates. This is for performance monitoring, issue mitigation and so on.

Hang tight. If the "approximate" date passes by say 2 weeks, there is no harm in calling, but don't be a gadfly. The BI is likely fielding 100's of similar calls and each one takes time away from, yup, background work.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

In addition to my colleague's excellent comments, let me add this. On larger agencies, Background Investigations is a full time assignment. On a smaller agency, this assignment is often a "collateral duty" which is performed, usually by a supervisor, as he/she has time.

Even where Backgrounds is an assigned full time duty, the individual investigator often has a substantial case load. In other words, your file will be among many in the bunch. An application incorrectly or carelessly completed can often act to impede the investigation, or result in the application being rejected entirely.

As has been correctly noted to you, the "time line" quoted is NOT written in stone, and can be effected by many things.

Comment

I appreciate the input, and what you gentlemen say makes sense. After many applications this is the furthest I have been in the hiring process so I am a little antsy for obvious reasons!

Thanks again!

Comment

Update: My BI said he is wrapping up the background and it will be in to the agency by the end of the week. I am very excited, but I do realize there is more to come. He made contact with me twice regarding a ticket and my military experience. Both items were disclosed and discussed prior to the onset of the investigation and only clarification was needed on both.

Which leads me to another question. Without jumping the gun, let's assume the background is a "pass". Is it typical for an agency to say no thanks after all that? Not trying to jinx myself just overly curious and I cannot sit still.

Thanks again!

Comment

Usually when we finish our backgrounds we turn them in and those who make the decisions will make theirs. If we conduct a background it is for that candidate to be hired unless something comes up in their background. If your B.I. has contacted you and cleared some questions up then they will get back to you and I wish you the best. Good Luck.

Comment

. Without jumping the gun, let's assume the background is a "pass". Is it typical for an agency to say no thanks after all that? Not trying to jinx myself just overly curious and I cannot sit still.
              Of course it is possible.

The Background is many times NOT the last section of the hiring process.

Some place the background right before a final interview with the command staff (or similar group---maybe just the chief/sheriff)

SOME do physical and psychological testing and such after a background is completed............

Some, it is the final step.

I had one who had "cleared" his background (my agency had a habit of doing crappy backgrounds at times) and was given the final offer----and was waiting to start. His packet was handed to me to do some administrative stuff and I recognized his name.

I contacted the boss who after reading my report , recinded his final offer.

He had been terminated from a sheriff's department a few yrs earlier and didn't bother to say anthing when applying at my place
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Quick question and maybe a little off topic but is it a good sign that your bi is calling your references?

Comment

Originally posted by Codykirk View Post
                  Quick question and maybe a little off topic but is it a good sign that your bi is calling your references?
                  Yep. It shows that your background investigation is underway.
                  I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Now I've already met with her about 3 weeks ago and went over my packet. Did a written test and was asked about 100 questions. She also said the committee has to review my info. She started calling yesterday. Just wondering if that means I'm almost complete with the background. Any insight?

Comment

Now I've already met with her about 3 weeks ago and went over my packet. Did a written test and was asked about 100 questions. She also said the committee has to review my info. She started calling yesterday. Just wondering if that means I'm almost complete with the background. Any insight?
                      I can share my experience thus far maybe that will help. I met with my BI on May 2nd. I signed my waivers about a week and a half prior to meeting him. After we met I didn't hear a word until about two weeks ago and shortly after that my references on my PHS were calling me to say they spoke with my BI.

Just the other day my BI said he is finishing up the investigation and hopes to have it in to the agency by the end of this week. So in my case contacting the references seems to be the end of the line regarding the investigation. But I would assume each investigation is unique so your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Comment

Just wondering if that means I'm almost complete with the background. Any insight?
                        No , it means the investigator is------------------------------INVESTIGATING
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Nice.... I just got an email and the bi said my background is complete and has been turned over to the selection committee.

Comment

Well I just received news today that I am no longer considered for the position. My background was completed on June 20th. My BI didn't contact for any issues other than what I posted in the previous responses. To my knowledge all my references gave me a good review as well as the neighbors he spoke with. This is a bit discouraging, I wish I knew the reason.

Its easy to say I am a good candidate but I guess that open to interpretation. For the life of me I cant put my finger on what happened. Thanks to all who have responded to my posts I really do appreciate it.

To add, would this bar me from other places? I do not know if this is considered ad DQ, fail or just not selected. The underlined portion above is what my letter states.
                            Last edited by SleeperGT; 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Well I just received news today that I am no longer considered for the position. My background was completed on June 20th. My BI didn't contact for any issues other than what I posted in the previous responses. To my knowledge all my references gave me a good review as well as the neighbors he spoke with. This is a bit discouraging, I wish I knew the reason.

Its easy to say I am a good candidate but I guess that open to interpretation. For the life of me I cant put my finger on what happened. Thanks to all who have responded to my posts I really do appreciate it.

To add, would this bar me from other places? I do not know if this is considered ad DQ, fail or just not selected. The underlined portion above is what my letter states.

You need to remember that for every opening................there are probably going to be anywhere from 1-1000 people who did not make the grade and were not advanced at some point in the process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2635 users online. 145 members and 2490 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X