Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many rejections before getting hired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many rejections before getting hired?

I was curious how many times you have applied/tested/interviewed before getting hired?

I just got my 2nd rejection letter after the orals today. It's definitely a tough career to get into, I have tons of respect for all of you who has gone through this successfully.

The general consensus is multiple applications over a period of years. Attempt to assess and identify what might be causing you problems in a given phase of the hiring process.

Keep in mind that most agencies, as a matter of policy will not tell you why you failed a given aspect of the hiring process. If there are issues in your background which would cause you problems, you know about them far better than we do.

All things being equal, you should keep trying. Best of luck in your efforts.

Comment

Thanks, the interview went great. However, I do have a feeling that it was my past traffic citations that put me behind other candidates. Those were the only negatives brought up during the interview.

Comment

Nowadays it is very hard to be selected due to all the candidates applying for a few openings. Depending on the location you apply they can be very selective. You have to put yourself in a position so that YOU will be at the top of the list whether it be education, training or whatever they are looking for in your area. You have to impress the persons who do the hiring.

Wear suits to interviews and be honest and try not to be nervous at the interview. See if they will tell you why you were turned down, and work on correcting that. You say you went to a oral interview, was that with HR or a final interview with the brass?
        Many agencies have HR people who do most of the leg work and will reject someone over some BS that shouldn't matter. I would write a letter to the Police Chief or Sheriff of whatever agency you are applying to stating that you really want to work for them and attach you resume to it. This may get you a second chance.

Don't give up and apply to other agencies. Many people get rejected a few times unless you live somewhere that is hard up for cops. Don't let it get you down. Remember they want people who are aggressive enough to get the job and do what it takes to make that happen. They want people who will stick with the job and not fizzle out after a few weeks because it isn't what they expected or what they really wanted to do.

Comment

I was interviewed by a BG investigator, Sgt and a detective of the dept. There's no way I am giving up, I have 3 more interviews lined up. If I'm not selected at those agencies, I will go back to school to make myself more competitive before I begin applying again. Plus, that would put more time in between my speeding citation I received in 2012. I had actually sent a letter to the Chief today prior to getting the rejection notice. It was basically a letter to thank him and the oral panel for the time and consideration. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath...I now know first hand how competitive this is.

Comment

There's kinda a rule or well known saying about getting hired in law enforcement: you'll get rejected 20 times before you get that offer.

I don't know how old you are, but it could be your age. Just because you CAN get hired at 21 doesn't mean an agency wants to hire someone who is 21. Life experience.

Comment

I'm currently 26. I've been working consistently since age 18 and definitely grown a lot as a person. The interview was great and it changed its pace once they started asking me about how many citations I've had in my lifetime(approx 3 in 2006-2009 and 1 in 2012), how many accidents(3 total...all were not my fault), and questioned me on why I have a GED instead of a diploma. It ended on a good note, but I believe those negatives are enough to set me back when being compared to other applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by statelinedefense View Post
                I'm currently 26. I've been working consistently since age 18 and definitely grown a lot as a person. The interview was great and it changed its pace once they started asking me about how many citations I've had in my lifetime(approx 3 in 2006-2009 and 1 in 2012), how many accidents(3 total...all were not my fault), and questioned me on why I have a GED instead of a diploma. It ended on a good note, but I believe those negatives are enough to set me back when being compared to other applicants.
                Yes, you are not a "stellar" candidate.

Time might mitigate the tickets and collisions (just like with insurance companies---fault doesn't matter)

The GED isn't really a factor in theory. Note I said Theory.

The problem is ----to get hired in these times----------you need to be STELLAR.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks. I will keep testing/applying while getting my college education. I'm financially stable, I just gotta put in more work to make myself a better candidate. I understand it may take years, but life has taught me that nothing worth doing is easy.

Comment

A few people I know are trying to become police officers and are on anywhere from 4-9 lists right now. For me, it only took one shot. It all depends on who you are as a person and how you present yourself (as well as a million other factors just to name a few). Definitely head back to college. I work full time, go to college full time, and am a mom to a crazy little toddler I found that even though I thought my hectic schedule wasn't a big deal, it really impressed my department during the board interview as well as many of the officers I met during my ride along. I will say really take the time to focus on bettering yourself the best you can and try not to get any more citations. They truly want the best of the best and you have to prove to them that you are just that.

Comment

Dude it took me almost 5 years to get hired. Its just real hard with the number of open position vs the number of applicants. I was lucky 250-300 applicants, I was one of 12 to get an offer. If you really want it, it might take some time. Keep your head up, its not easy...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6283 users online. 343 members and 5940 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X