Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have any chance of getting hired?

Greetings, I have been a long time lurker and would like to first say thank you for all the great LEO's out there and your time on these boards helping others. My question is do I have any chance of getting hired by a local dept or federal govt if you have ever been to a psychiatrist or psychologist? I know background investgations are pretty in-dept but I am also aware of the medical history and patient privacy regulations etc. I am a 28 y/o male with 6 years experinece as a combat medic (USN Hospital Corpsman) with 2 deployments, an assoicates degree and presently working on a criminal justice degree from a local university.

While on active duty I took my training and physical fitness too far and ended up with an eating disorder and exercise additction (odd I know). Anyways I sought help and treatment decided treatment wasn't helping any, and was given a choice to stay in and get better or leave and try to heal there. I have since fully recovered and have not seen a therapist or taken any medication in almost 5 years. I was given honorable discharge in 2009.

When asked the question during interviews I am often asked why I didn't stay in, I honestly loved it and miss it dearly. I give the board members maybe too much information? Maybe not? I tell them all the above information. With this being a job interview is this too much info to give out? I don't tell a single person I know outside my family about the past, nor any other job interview I attend.

Is it right for me to come out and mention REAL reason? or shall I just say I wanted to start a family and attend school? also a real reason why I decided to get better at home. When a board hears the truth or see's the RE-Code on my DD-214 have I just shot myself in the foot? Look for another line of work? With all the recent active shooters lately in the news the one thing that is constantly brought up in the media is that person has seen a therapist and in sense given a label and I'm afraid that label is being passed onto to me as well.

Thank you for your time

I tell them all the above information.
    IMO they don't need to know the medical information at that point. They aren't doctors and while it shouldn't sway them it probably does. That's what the physical exam and PAT are for.

I'm a trauma-induced Type I diabetic with an L4-S1 spine fusion and was medically retired from the Army due to that accident. After 16 years of service thru two wars I also have several other less serious issues that all add up to be being 70% disabled according to the VA.

This does NOT get mentioned in an interview. I simply say that I had to retire due to an injury and some complications, but that I've worked to overcome them and am confident I can do the job.

Only the doc gets the full story. Until that point the details are nobody's business.

shall I just say I wanted to start a family and attend school?
    Don't lie. Ever.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-31-2014, 05:49 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

What is your discharge type and RE code?

Almost everyone who enlists ETSs before they retire, so I don't see what the big deal is or why anyone would even care. So yes, too much information. You examined your options and decided to get out. When the time comes, a medical professional will determine whether you can be hired or not.

Comment

Here's what I'd like you to do. Take another long, hard, look at both replies #2 and#3. Read and fully absorb them. Once you've done that, apply and kick major *** throughout the hiring process.

Best of luck, and many thanks for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Here's what I'd like you to do. Take another long, hard, look at both replies #2 and#3. Read and fully absorb them. Once you've done that, apply and kick major *** throughout the hiring process.

Best of luck, and many thanks for your service.

The above sums up the whole matter with no gap.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by rusty_ryan9 View Post
            Greetings, I have been a long time lurker and would like to first say thank you for all the great LEO's out there and your time on these boards helping others. My question is do I have any chance of getting hired by a local dept or federal govt if you have ever been to a psychiatrist or psychologist? I know background investgations are pretty in-dept but I am also aware of the medical history and patient privacy regulations etc. I am a 28 y/o male with 6 years experinece as a combat medic (USN Hospital Corpsman) with 2 deployments, an assoicates degree and presently working on a criminal justice degree from a local university.

While on active duty I took my training and physical fitness too far and ended up with an eating disorder and exercise additction (odd I know). Anyways I sought help and treatment decided treatment wasn't helping any, and was given a choice to stay in and get better or leave and try to heal there. I have since fully recovered and have not seen a therapist or taken any medication in almost 5 years. I was given honorable discharge in 2009.

When asked the question during interviews I am often asked why I didn't stay in, I honestly loved it and miss it dearly. I give the board members maybe too much information? Maybe not? I tell them all the above information. With this being a job interview is this too much info to give out? I don't tell a single person I know outside my family about the past, nor any other job interview I attend.
            also a real reason why I dec
            Is it right for me to come out and mention REAL reason? or shall I just say I wanted to start a family and attend school?ided to get better at home. When a board hears the truth or see's the RE-Code on my DD-214 have I just shot myself in the foot? Look for another line of work? With all the recent active shooters lately in the news the one thing that is constantly brought up in the media is that person has seen a therapist and in sense given a label and I'm afraid that label is being passed onto to me as well.

Thank you for your time
            that, will dig your grave faster than your medical history. Integrity

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6288 users online. 334 members and 5954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X