300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background

I just finished reading the "applicant's guide to getting hired" sticky. Fantastic piece. I see the background check is after the interview process. So that says to me you have the opportunity to sell yourself prior to being asked about an incident in your pass which could play a deciding factor in what role that incident plays in you being hired. Would that be accurate?

My concern is this: I am 33 and 14 years ago I have a misdemeanor theft of property on my record. It involved taking money from a restaurant that I worked. Approximately $2500 over the course of several months. It was serious. 2 years probation and full restitution paid. I have disclosed all of this on the application of course.

Since this incident I have: graduated college, worked another 8 years in the restaurant business prior to college, while going to college, and a short time after I graduated college. I have had a successful sales career which included managing a team of employees and a branch as a general manager. I am married with 2 sons. It also includes (which I am hoping will be my integrity solidifier) being a financial advisor which I have been for the past 2 years. Becoming licensed to sell securities was the most extensive background check I have ever seen. And of course this incident was discussed in detail and the firm deliberated over it for some time before deciding to hire me.

I manage millions of dollars of others peoples wealth that I have full discretion to invest how I see fit and to advise them to invest how I see fit. These are regular people that have worked for 20, 30, 40 years and have retired and put their life savings in my hands because of the relationships I have developed with them.

With the time since the incident, the life I have led since the incident, and combined with my character references, I would like to think I haven't wasted my time with the written test and the PAT thus far.

I would like to hear how some of the LEO's on here would assess this situation.

Thanks

That's considered a felony here. Perm. DQ
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
      That's considered a felony here. Perm. DQ
      You cannot have a felony in any US state or territory and be licensed to sell securities (which I am) so Im not sure how that works...

Comment

I'd say a new line of work for you.....DQ'd here in North Idaho.

Comment

Originally posted by lcg0207 View Post
          I just finished reading the "applicant's guide to getting hired" sticky. Fantastic piece. I see the background check is after the interview process. So that says to me you have the opportunity to sell yourself prior to being asked about an incident in your pass which could play a deciding factor in what role that incident plays in you being hired. Would that be accurate?

My concern is this: I am 33 and 14 years ago I have a misdemeanor theft of property on my record. It involved taking money from a restaurant that I worked. Approximately $2500 over the course of several months. It was serious. 2 years probation and full restitution paid. I have disclosed all of this on the application of course.

Since this incident I have: graduated college, worked another 8 years in the restaurant business prior to college, while going to college, and a short time after I graduated college. I have had a successful sales career which included managing a team of employees and a branch as a general manager. I am married with 2 sons. It also includes (which I am hoping will be my integrity solidifier) being a financial advisor which I have been for the past 2 years. Becoming licensed to sell securities was the most extensive background check I have ever seen. And of course this incident was discussed in detail and the firm deliberated over it for some time before deciding to hire me.

I manage millions of dollars of others peoples wealth that I have full discretion to invest how I see fit and to advise them to invest how I see fit. These are regular people that have worked for 20, 30, 40 years and have retired and put their life savings in my hands because of the relationships I have developed with them.

With the time since the incident, the life I have led since the incident, and combined with my character references, I would like to think I haven't wasted my time with the written test and the PAT thus far.

I would like to hear how some of the LEO's on here would assess this situation.

Thanks
          Not going to argue with you but you were convicted of a theft greater than $1500. That is a felony here. I work for a large urban dept. and you would be considered a convicted felon and thus permanently DQ'd.
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Nope.

People can choose with whom they want to invest their money. They can't choose which beat officer shows up to their domestic dispute.
            Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
            Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Sounds like it was adjudicated as multiple misdemeanor theft charges or one misdemeanor charge with total restitution. Did you go to municipal court or common pleas court?
              That said, we wouldn't hire you. We kick cashiers who took $20 out of the till; your DQ would be a no brainer for us.

Comment

$1,000 is a Class H felony punishable by up to 4-8 months in prison for a first time offender Auto DQ NC.
                if the lights go on someone is paying the bill.

Comment

Do all those people know you stole money from your previous employer? Because in police work, that will come up EVERY time you testify in court. "Officer Smith, isn't it true that prior to becoming a police officer, you were convicted of stealing money from an employer?" And they will say it in front of the jury. Sure, there are officers who have issues from their past. Its up to your agency whether or not they choose to accept your baggage.

In your current profession, I would imagine thats not something you disclose to your clients is it? In law enforcement it will be brought up. And once one defense attorney mentions it, everyone will know. All a defense attorney needs to do is plant a seed of doubt in ONE jurors mind about your integrity. Does that mean all of us are perfect? No. Are there cops who have committed worse crimes and gotten away with it? Yes. But in society, unless you have a crystal ball, a persons criminal history and documented past is all we have to go on. You sound like you were a kid who made a stupid mistake and paid the price. Unfortunately, agencies have to think about the greater good of the community they serve, not your individual career aspirations. And as it is now, there are thousands of people standing in line for LE jobs who do not have your baggage. It sounds like you have made a great life for yourself. Enjoy it. Your life as a cop would be miserable with this in your background.

Comment

I dont know how you did it growing up but the way we played cops and robbers, it was an either/or proposition. Real life works the same way. You dont get to be both and you have already chosen sides.
                    In God We Trust
                    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                      Do all those people know you stole money from your previous employer? Because in police work, that will come up EVERY time you testify in court. "Officer Smith, isn't it true that prior to becoming a police officer, you were convicted of stealing money from an employer?" And they will say it in front of the jury. Sure, there are officers who have issues from their past. Its up to your agency whether or not they choose to accept your baggage.

In your current profession, I would imagine thats not something you disclose to your clients is it? In law enforcement it will be brought up. And once one defense attorney mentions it, everyone will know. All a defense attorney needs to do is plant a seed of doubt in ONE jurors mind about your integrity. Does that mean all of us are perfect? No. Are there cops who have committed worse crimes and gotten away with it? Yes. But in society, unless you have a crystal ball, a persons criminal history and documented past is all we have to go on. You sound like you were a kid who made a stupid mistake and paid the price. Unfortunately, agencies have to think about the greater good of the community they serve, not your individual career aspirations. And as it is now, there are thousands of people standing in line for LE jobs who do not have your baggage. It sounds like you have made a great life for yourself. Enjoy it. Your life as a cop would be miserable with this in your background.
                      So the fact that it was disclosed in detail on the application and I was then contacted to take the written assessment (passed) and then took the PAT (and passed) doesn't matter? On the application I disclosed this offense in explicit detail and even faxed over all of the court documents and was still asked to take the test.

Comment

So the fact that it was disclosed in detail on the application and I was then contacted to take the written assessment (passed) and then took the PAT (and passed) doesn't matter? On the application I disclosed this offense in explicit detail and even faxed over all of the court documents and was still asked to take the test.
                        You still have not gone through background and had a BI assigned You are wasting there time and yours.... thats why they should do backgrounds first......
                        if the lights go on someone is paying the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                          Not going to argue with you but you were convicted of a theft greater than $1500. That is a felony here. I work for a large urban dept. and you would be considered a convicted felon and thus permanently DQ'd.

Along these same lines, the amount you stole is a felony in Alabama. THAT would be the determining factor in an agency's decision to DQ you. My Agency would DQ you in a heart beat.

I don't say this to you to be harsh, but merely to state the truth. The truth we assume you desired when you opened the thread.

While not being critical of the Background check you went through to become a licensed securities salesman, it is NOT the same background you'd undergo to enter this profession.

From my personal perspective, you're fortunate to be licensed to handle other people's funds. Continue to do this well. It's a means to your personal livelihood , security for you and your family, and hopefully, a decent retirement.

Certainly, you can apply should you feel the desire. Our perspectives and opinions are not binding on you or any agency to which you apply. Simply be prepared to be told substantially what we, as a forum have told you.

Comment

You may have been convicted of a misdemeanor which would not automatically DQ you. BUT, since the crime you were convicted of is considered a felony here (even if it was pled down or convicted at a misdemeanor through the courts discretion) all agencies I know of would make it a DQ as the underlying case was truly a felony, your misdemeanor conviction was through the court's mercy.
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Because you passed the written and physical? No, that really doesn't mean much in regards to your question. They don't weed people out of those based on background issues. If you apply, you are pretty much guaranteed to progress though those. Its when everyone gets to the backgrounds that they start getting serious. Besides, all that stuff being "disclosed" is irrelevant. They will find out anyway. Its on your record. Nobody is saying your are dumb or that you are still that person from way back. No sense arguing about the process. Ultimately it will end up being a call your agency will have to make.
                              Last edited by FlyingPig1; 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5360 users online. 341 members and 5019 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X