300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its all about who you know

As a college student, i hear at least once every couple days that getting a job these days is "all about who you know", that it all depends on your networking. For some jobs, knowing one or two people on the inside can make or break your chances at landing a job. I'm curious as to whether or not this is the case in LE. Seeing as the hiring process seems way more based on one person's integrity, would knowing a couple people on the inside of the department help one's chances in the hiring process?

Originally posted by Jeep2000 View Post
    As a college student, i hear at least once every couple days that getting a job these days is "all about who you know", that it all depends on your networking. For some jobs, knowing one or two people on the inside can make or break your chances at landing a job. I'm curious as to whether or not this is the case in LE. Seeing as the hiring process seems way more based on one person's integrity, would knowing a couple people on the inside of the department help one's chances in the hiring process?
    No, its not who you know.

Don't get me wrong, knowing people and networking won't hurt, but the vast majority of agencies use some form of Civil Service and/or standardized testing. I don't care who you are in those agencies, If you don't pass the tests, you are not getting hired.

Smaller agencies are more prone to the "old boys network" influencing hiring.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Once you get hired, it might help for later assignments. Unless you're a total f**k up in the Academy, no one will know you. You earn your rep. and people will want you in their area.
      There can also be the good ole boy network in large depts. Especially if you make an enemy......he and his cronies can make things difficult.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

For a non civil service job, who you know may carry a lot of weight. For civil service hirings, not so much.

Comment

I didnt know a single person at my current agency. I didn't even go on a ride-a-long ( I seriously recommend NOT following my example-go on as many ride-a-longs as you can and on different shifts).

Sometimes, certain agencies will pay an officer a hiring bonus if they bring people in. That isn't som much helping you as it is helping them.
          semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6230 users online. 327 members and 5903 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X